Helen Keller International (HKI) - Established in 1915, Helen Keller International (HKI) works to save the sight and lives of the most vulnerable and disadvantaged. We combat the causes and consequences of blindness and malnutrition by establishing programs based on evidence and research in vision, health and nutrition. Headquartered in New York City, HKI currently conducts programs in 22 countries in Africa and Asia as well as in the United States.
HKI-NG has initiated number of projects in neglected tropical disease (NTD) control/elimination, behaviour change communication for NTDs, IYCF (SPRING project) and orange-fleshed sweet potato (Reaching Agents of Change). In 2013, HKI obtained a grant from DFID through UNITED Consortium to implement an integrated NTDs (LF, Trachoma, Oncho, STH and Schisto) control/elimination in Katsina. Prior to this, HKI has been implementing NTDs (Oncho and LF) control/elimination in Adamawa, Borno and Akwa Ibom states since 1999.
Job type: Contract (2 years)
Job ID: #1195526
Country Program Overview
- HKI began working in Nigeria in 1999 with an initial focus on onchocerciasis control. In the first year of assistance, about 1 million people were treated.
- HKI is now well known in the country through its efforts to support the National Strategy for the elimination of neglected tropical diseases (NTD), and its work in providing twice annual Vitamin A supplementation to children aged under 5 years in partnership with Ministry of Health.
- HKI supports the National Infant and Young Child Feeding Strategy by building awareness among women support groups through the national health system. The current program portfolio also includes building the awareness around the production and use at the household level of biofortified crops rich in essential micronutrients and working with the national government in the promotion of industrialized food fortification.
- HKI works in close collaboration with UNICEF, WHO, local civil society organizations and international NGOs as well as the Ministries of Health and Agriculture to execute its programming in the country.
- The current program is supported by a diverse group of donors including DFID, Queen Elizabeth Trust, USAID, END Fund.
Scope of the Position
- The CD has overall responsibility for supervising the implementation of HKI-Nigeria programs and management of the office, including performance management of staff, to achieve the HKI mission and the objectives established in grants.
- S/he is responsible for representing HKI and securing funding for project activities in Nigeria; developing and implementing strategic and annual plans to further HKI’s mission in Nigeria; program design, proposal development, implementation and reporting; financial and grant management; operations, security, and human resource management.
- This position is based in Abuja with travel to sub-offices required.
Overall Management and Leadership:
- Implement and periodically update HKI-Nigeria strategic plan.
- Generate funding from international and bilateral agencies, donor agencies, corporations, and individuals in collaboration with national, regional and headquarters staff in alignment with the country office’s strategic plan.
- Manage financial resources and provide oversight for grants.
- Manage key project personnel including supporting their ongoing professional development.
- Provide strategic vision and direction for overall program design and proposal development; program implementation and reporting; grant management; financial planning; and human resource planning and management; work closely with the country team to accomplish the strategic goals;
- Represent HKI in formal and informal meetings with government officials, international donor agencies, and national technical advisory groups pertinent to HKI project activities.
- Provide technical input to the government, international donor agencies and technical advisory groups pertinent to HKI project activities. Oversee research design, dissemination of information gathered and advocacy to advance programmatic and policy changes.
- Oversee and coordinate the program portfolio to ensure the highest level of project quality and accountability, while fostering continuity through building local capacity.
- Ensure implementation of strong program monitoring, evaluation and learning functions.
- Strengthen the quality and effectiveness of existing programs in VAS, food fortification, and the control of NTDs, including the development of a strong M&E framework.
- Disseminate findings from HKI projects that are of importance to decision-makers in a position to fund or implement projects in Mozambique and internationally.
- Keep the national partners and others informed about progress of the projects, plans for the development of new programs/projects/activities and donor involvement in the overall program.
Financial and Administrative:
- Provide oversight to finance and administrative services including procurement, property management, human resources management, vehicle and facilities management, and staff safety and security.
- Work with HKI regional office and headquarters to manage the development and implementation of annual country budgets.
- Ensure the preparation and accuracy of financial reports that comply with grant or contract agreements and ensure compliance with all aspects of donor funding and HKI policies.
- Ensure timely submission of financial reports within the established HKI guidelines.
- Authorize expenditures for grant or contract allocations and ensure compliance with procedures required by grant or contract agreements.
- Hire and manage personnel for Nigeria projects in compliance with HKI policies and lead initiatives to develop staff capacity.
- Minimum seven years of field experience in international public health or nutrition programs including demonstrated experience in program development, implementation and evaluation, plus a minimum Master’s degree in Public Health, Nutrition or related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in, or willingness to learn about, nutrition and NTD control is necessary.
- Demonstrated ability to undertake high-level representation and advocacy.
- Demonstrated capacity to mobilize program funding including donor cultivation and grants writing.
- Demonstrated ability to manage staff and other administrative and financial activities in developing country programs – five years’ experience in a management position.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including an ability to effectively lead a team, communicate a vision, make timely and transparent decisions, and manage conflict.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and create budgets and monitor financial status.
- Ability to design and implement workshops, seminars, surveys, monitoring systems and evaluations. Experience in research design, data analysis and interpretation.
- Excellent oral and written English language skills, including the ability to quickly synthesize complex technical and programmatic issues into concise communications.
- Knowledge and experience managing compliance to diverse donors (USAID, DFID, CIDA, EU, etc.,);
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills that effectively motivate staff and support team building; demonstrated ability to manage a professional team in a multi-cultural environment;
- Well established and practiced organizational and planning skills;
- Computer literacy, including use of internet, word processing and spreadsheets. Experience with data analysis, especially EPI-INFO and/or SPSS, and cell phone data collection will be an advantage.
- Experience with staff security and safety issues is desirable.
- Ability and willingness to travel within Nigeria and periodically internationally.
Method of Application
Applicants should submit a Cover letter and Resume to: HKI.Recruitment@hki.org noting the job title in the subject line.
Note: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale