We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that hardworking people can generate income, jobs and wealth for their families and communities. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
We're looking for a Programs and Administrative Assistant (Abuja, Nigeria)
TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries. We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs and wealth for their families and communities. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
TechnoServe has over a decade of practical experience in Nigeria. In the 1990s, the organization supported farmer organizations in developing aquaculture, livestock and other agribusiness opportunities. With operations officially re-established in Nigeria in 2010, TechnoServe is now implementing a number of programs to help raise farmer incomes and yields in the cocoa, cashew, cassava and other key commodities; and empower young entrepreneurs (including women) to build sustainable businesses.
Overall Purpose: TechnoServe Program and Finance Assistants play an important role in the smooth running of the organization. The Program and Finance Assistant will provide day-to-day administrative, financial and program assistance to the Financial Accountant and Country Manager, as well as in the general management of the office and support to the country program.
- Work with the TechnoServe Nigeria Financial Accountant to implement all financial management policies and procedures
- Assist the Financial Accountant to ensure compliance with regulations regarding tax for the office and local employees
- Assists the Financial Accountant in the development of documentation relating to budgets, cost analyses, reports and forecasting
- Prepares accounts payable documents (e.g. invoices, payment requests) for approval
- Makes local payments under direct supervision and on approval of the Financial Accountant and/or the Country Director
- Prepares monthly cost projections for the approval of the Financial Accountant
- Ensures all documents are filed and maintained for auditing purposes
- Helps track the budget of the country office and assists in preparing donor reports
- Ensures all payments are made on time and are accurate
- Ensures the smooth flow of approval documents, ensuring information transfer to the relevant staff
- Works with the Financial Accountant to ensure all project related expenses are properly coded to ensure the accuracy of financial reporting
- Manages payment of office bills and petty cash and ensures that receipts are kept for all expenses.
- Performs small-scale procurement, ensuring adequate stocks of all necessary supplies (e.g. stationery, water, etc.)
- Monitors travel and expenses reporting by all team members, including processing expense claim forms.
- Assists with the monitoring and management of programs (particularly in areas of operational budget and audit.
Administrative and Program Assistance
- Provides assistance to the Financial Accountant and Country Director in ensuring compliance with TechnoServe policies and procedures
- Coordinates meetings with Program Staff, Consultants and international staff. Arranges meeting rooms, drafts and disseminates meeting agendas, prepares briefing notes and where necessary takes meeting minutes which may include preparing and disseminating materials as instructed.
- Organizes meetings and workshops for TechnoServe programs, including travel arrangements and security.
- Assists in scheduling and planning for events and conference calls, makes recommendations regarding meeting or equipment facilities. Organizes and coordinates meetings and calls including travel and hospitality for meeting attendees.
- Drafts correspondence including reports, contracts, and other administrative documents.
- Prepares presentations, graphics and charts as requested.
- Participates in the preparation and formatting and coordination of donor reports and proposals.
- Assumes responsibility for document filing and develops office administrative procedures as required.
- Responds to general inquiries to the Country office.
- Maintains the diary of the Country Director in his/her absence
- Manages timesheet entries and maintains timesheet records.
- Coordinates domestic and international travel arrangements for the Country Director, Program
- Staff and visitors, inputs travel authorizations, processes travel claims and arranges tickets, visas.
- Prepares and formats standard contracts and related documents, in strict compliance with the standard contracting process and templates, and assists in the preparation of complex contracts
- Processes expatriate work-permits, business visas; exit re-entry permits, or identifies and manages agents to do so, and ensures that documents are always up to date.
- Coordinates with TechnoServe Headquarters regarding space management, rentals, finalizing vendors, day to day monitoring / installation of office equipment, IT and coordination of annual contracts.
- Day-to-day facilities management of the office, developing and maintaining good relationships with suppliers
- Oversees transportation and vehicle management
- Supervises support staff such as building staff, security guards and cleaners
- Manages procurement as per TechnoServe’s procurement policy and national standards, liaising with
- Effects payments to suppliers, based on approval and authorization by the Country Director and the Budget Holder
- Coordinates delivery of goods from suppliers, manages records and keeps a fixed asset registry as per national requirements
- Ensures timely customs clearing and follow up with government offices
- Other duties as required by the Country Director
Skills and Attributes:
- Strong financial management skills and experience; demonstrated proficiency in finance skills related to the position.
- Proactive with a commitment to quality and accuracy with close attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational and communications skills.
- Experience working in an entrepreneurial, matrix, global organization.
- High flexibility and occasional availability to work outside regular working hours.
- Effective oral and written communication skills in an environment requiring diplomacy and good judgment in managing interactions with individuals at all levels inside and outside an organization. Able to prioritize, multi-task, and work well under pressure with frequent deadlines.
- Reliable and enjoys working in a multi-cultural, cross functional team with flexible and adaptable approach to work.
- Ability to work without close supervision.
- Computer literacy with excellent MS Word, MS Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint skills.
- Knowledge and familiarity with one or more of the following functional areas: Procurement, travel, communications, accounting, contracts and agreements, agriculture, nutrition, meetings/conference management, international aid, development programs or portfolio management.
- Flexible and adaptable approach to work
- Ability to travel on occasion
- Minimum 3 years’ documented experience (work certificates) in an administrative / office management role, preferably in an international NGO
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Accounting or related field.
- Procurement and accounting
- Project Management
- Knowledge Sharing
- Business English and local language required, written and verbal
Method of Application
Qualified and interested applicants should submit cover letter, resume and salary history/requirements to Nigeriajobs@tns.org no later than 15 September 2016. Please identify the position for which you are applying in the subject line. Only applicants meeting minimum qualifications will be considered or contacted. No phone calls please. TechnoServe is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
TechnoServe encourages diversity in all levels and across all facets of our organization. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, ages, HIV/AIDS status, protected veteran status, disability and all other protected classes.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.