If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
The American University of Nigeria (AUN) was established in 2003. The institution was conceived as Africa's first Development University. Its mission is to pioneer service learning and build leaders who will be prepared to tackle societal concerns. Located in Yola, Adamawa State, the University is a world-class career-oriented institution missioned to be an agent of change in the development of the region. AUN has a strong commitment to providing the skills and the leadership essential to solving the continent's critical social and economic problems.
Summary of Position
- Duties include operating and maintaining transportation vehicles with a focus on safety and customer courtesy.
- Operates and maintains assigned vehicle(s).
- Maintains vehicle records.
- Performs daily pre-trip and post-trip vehicle inspections
- Ensures that periodic scheduled vehicle maintenance is completed and reported.
- Prepares trip reports, accident and incident reports.
- Assists passengers in and out of the vehicle.
- Provides safety briefing to passengers; and providing other services as requested by management when not engaged in transportation service.
Detailed Listing of Responsibilities
- Follows specific regularly scheduled routes, charter routes or responds to requests from dispatch or management for unscheduled pickâ€‘ups or dropâ€‘offs.
- Maintains defensive driving.
- Responds immediately to accident or medical emergencies by notifying emergency response providers, and rendering First Aid until emergency personnel arrive.
- Performs minor maintenance tasks on assigned vehicle(s) as required.
- Fuels the assigned vehicle(s).
- Coordinates the schedule for major or periodic vehicle maintenance with management and staff to minimize service interruptions.
- Assists passengers in boarding and exiting vehicle.
- Loads and unloads luggage, packages and other items.
- Inspects exterior and interior of vehicle at beginning of each shift for properly operating headlights, turn signals, brake lights, interior courtesy lamps, air-conditioning, warning lamps, mirror adjustment, properly inflated tires, windshield wipers, vehicle damage, etc. prior to moving vehicle.
- Responsible for ensuring inside and outside of vehicle are always properly cleaned, neat, orderly and fuelled on an ongoing basis.
- Monitors vehicle condition and records malfunctioning items or damage.
- Accurately completes driver trip sheet for each shift with information including driver number, vehicle number, number of passengers, pickâ€‘up and dropâ€‘off times, mileages, fares, destinations, etc.
- Learns and provides guests and passengers with appropriate information regarding lodging, entertainment and attractions within service area.
- Learns and remembers locations of various destination points serviced by the fleet including lodging, entertainment and attraction sites.
- Treats all guests, customers, and other persons in a courteous, friendly and professional manner.
- Also may be required to perform other related duties as requested
- High school and acceptable Experience and Training or Any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities, provided the age and safe driving record requirements are met.
- Class “E” Nigerian driver’s licence.
- Must be a minimum of 21 and maximum of 40 years of age in addition to a safe driving record;
- Must also be available to work flexible hours.
- Ability to drive a multi-passenger vehicle safely and appropriately, including ability to read and interpret road signs in English;
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing;
- Ability to establish effective professional relationships with customers, co-workers, and upper level staff and employees;
- Ability to prepare concise and accurate records and reports;
- Extensive knowledge of the operations and features of assigned vehicle(s);
- Ability to recognize vehicle maintenance needs;
- Ability to perform minor vehicle repairs;
- Skilled in reasoning skills to interpret policies and procedures, maps, and route directions;
- Ability to administer First Aid and CPR.
- Must be able to pass Department of Transportation physical exam and successfully complete an Alcohol/Drug screening process.
Other requirements, abilities for the position:
- Serves as a positive role model while providing transportation service.
- Customer service skills.
- Team player.
Description of Benefits
Salary and benefits are commensurate with experience and job classification as approved by the University.
Method of Application
Applicants should submit their resumes, cover letters and references to: email@example.com before the closing date of this publication. The position being applied for should be the subject of the email.