If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
Action Against Hunger | ACF International, a global humanitarian organization committed to ending world hunger, works to save the lives of malnourished children while providing communities with access to safe water and sustainable solutions to hunger.
Overall Scope of the Position:
- The DCD-HP is responsible for overseeing the development and appropriate implementation of Action Against Hunger (AAH) humanitarian program portfolio in North East Nigeria.
- The DCD-HP ensures AAH systems & procedures are in place and implemented,
- The DCD-HP ensures the proper management, well- being and safety of AAH staff as well as appropriate use of AAH resources.
- The DCD-HP creates a shared vision among all staff.
- The DCD-HP is responsible for promoting AAH values as well as an organizational culture where AAH core values are embedded, team work is encouraged and all staff feel valued.
Detailed Roles and Responsibilities of the Position:
The DCD-HP is responsible, through a sound and relevant delegation system with appropriate control mechanisms which will allow him / her to be accountable for all the following responsibilities:
- Oversee NE Nigeria humanitarian programming to ensure the effective and efficient design, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of humanitarian program portfolio
- Ensure that humanitarian program is in line with the Country Strategy and AAH's vision
- Work with senior staff to generate viable projects in line with Country Strategy
- Control that systems, tools and resources are in place to guarantee that humanitarian projects:
- are designed, planned and implemented based on sound analysis,
- are in line with AAH Programming Principles
- are consistent with AAH's standards for program quality and AAH technical positioning.
- Ensure the regular production and/or review of AAH project managements monitoring tools including Detailed Project Implementation Plans, Activity Progress Reports, Budget and Supply Follow-up, etc.
- Verify that proper monitoring and evaluation systems are in place to demonstrate impact of AAH’s humanitarian program and that learning is incorporated to ensure ongoing improvements.
- Pilot the follow-up on internal and external audit recommendations
Key role: Oversee and direct the appropriate mobilization, use and management of human, financial and logistic resources in line with AAH policies and donor requirements.
- Monitor the AAH NE Nigeria structure and humanitarian program portfolio financial position, and ensure the best use of available resources.
- Ensure that appropriate policies, procedures and systems for HR, finance and logistic are in place and functioning throughout the mission.
- Control that adequate internal controls are in place to protect the financial and non-monetary assets and that the resources are used in accordance with donor terms and conditions.
- Control that appropriate financial and logistic reporting systems are in place to meet both internal needs and external requirements
- Ensure mission has appropriate team structures in place as well as regular review according to projected program needs;
- Ensure levels of authority and responsibility are clearly defined;
- Control that strong HR strategies, systems, policies and processes are in place and monitored.
- Lead the preparation, regular updating and implementation of the security plan in line with AAH standards and procedures
- Ensure NE Nigeria has a security plan in place in line with AAH standards;
- Control that security plan is properly followed and respected;
- Control that appropriate security guidelines and procedures are established, maintained / updated regularly and adhered to by the team;
- Undertake security networking at all levels;
- Analyze the information gathered and provide risk and context analysis;
- Be responsible for the management and oversight of security of all staff and visitors in NE Nigeria;
- Pilot the follow-up on security internal and external audit recommendations. 4 EXTERNAL RELATIONS AND PARTNERSHIPS:
- Key role: Develop and enhance relationships between the mission and donors’ representatives, civil society, private sector, government agencies and other humanitarian organizations.
- Establish and maintain good relationships with relevant – counterparts/departments of the government, the locally-represented multi/bi-lateral donors, UN agencies, foundations, international and national NGOs and civil society organizations.
- Support and work effectively in coalitions and networks in the respect of principles of equality, transparency, result oriented approach and complementarities.
- Ensure cordial media relations and act as AAH spokesperson as required.
WORKING RELATIONSHIPS WITH Senior Management Team
- Key actor between the field and SMT, the DCD-HP contributes to maintain good working relationships with SMT by complying with information demands and using SMT’s expertise to optimize the humanitarian program portfolio implementation.
- Proactively refer to SMT for any risk that could jeopardize the programs, the funding or the security of staff and premises
- Ensure field teams proactively expresses relevant demands of support to SMT in order to maximize operational efficiency and impact
- Verify that various deadlines set by SMT are respected
- Pilot the follow-up on SMT’s recommendations
- Generally speaking, be a facilitator between the field and SMT
Internal & External relationships
- Under the line management of : Country Director, Nigeria
- In coordination with: Heads of Department, Deputy Country Director Support, Deputy Country Director Programs (SMT)
- With supervision of: Field Coordinators, Regional Technical Coordinators
- Partners, NGOs, UN Agencies
- Local government authorities/departments
- A Bachelor degree in International Development, Political or Social Science, Economics, Business Administration or related field. (Masters Degree Preferred)
- At least 8 years of work experience preferably in humanitarian or development work with at least years of experience in management.
Functional/Technical Skills & Experience
- Significant experience with INGOs. Previous experience with ACF in emergency and post-emergencies an asset.
- Excellent management skills (HR, projects, stress management)
- Advanced knowledge of donors’ guidelines and procedures (ECHO, UNICEF, DFID, OFDA, etc.)
- Ability to organize, train and motivate a multicultural team
- Excellent diplomatic and negotiation skills
- Disciplined and able to work and arrive at decisions autonomously with minimal guidance.
- Fluent in English (professional English needed).
- Excellent drafting and written skills.
- Experience working in Nigeria or West Africa
Action Against USA Competencies
- Team Work: Level 4
- Organization & Planning: Level 4
- Analysis & Resolution of Problems and Conflict: Level 3
- Adaptability & Flexibility: Level 4
- Motivation: Level 4
- Resistance to Pressure & Capacity to Deal with Difficult Situations: Level 3
- Results Orientation: Level 4
- Effective & Synthetic Communication: Level 4
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Action Against Hunger | ACF-International career website on reliefweb.int to apply