Cuso International is currently implementing a five-year project titled, Youth Leadership, Entrepreneurship, Access and Development Project (YouLead). Funded by Government of Canada through Global Affairs Canada, YouLead supports the creation of youth-led enterprises and employment for young women and men in the natural resource sector in Cross River State, Nigeria. Cuso International and implementing partners are developing a youth-driven approach to support sustainable economic activities in key sectors (forestry, agriculture, aquaculture and eco-tourism) identified by the CRS government and other stakeholders. The project is also strengthening capacity of government at State and LGA levels, youth-serving civil society organizations, training organizations, and financial institutions to develop and implement a gender-responsive NRM ‘green jobs/green economy’ policy framework as the basis of increasing employment, self-employment and secured livelihoods for young women and men in the natural resource sectors.
- Develop close working relationship with project partners and stakeholders – all parties required to establish a shared vision of the project and achieve results
- Implement the project communication strategy
- Identify and analyze on a regular basis the communication needs of the stakeholders (Staff, Donor Agencies, partners and beneficiaries) and develop appropriate training support to address and respond to such needs
- Work closely with the Communications Officer to manage the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic collateral including, but not limited to, newsletters, brochures, annual report, e-newsletters, success stories, factsheets, outreach materials, and other communication products.
- Provide technical support, management, and oversight of all media-related activities, including press conferences, editorial content and media interviews, implemented under the program.
- Develop project-related communication and outreach strategies to ensure effective public awareness, and effective integration and coordination across all program components.
- Coordinate with YouLead Project Managers, management and stakeholders to ensure quality and timely dissemination and development and production of promotion materials
- Work closely with the Communications Officer in posting content and ensuring website and Social Media platform is updated on a regular basis
- Track and respond to inquiries from the general public from our website, Social Media and other media as appropriate
- Edit and write accurate, newsworthy and compelling content that will include a mix of hard news, analysis, features, expert interviews, videos, photo essays, timelines, case studies, and social media content
- Package lessons learned, results and best practice from YouLead and effectively communicate to a wide range of stakeholders.
- Work with project teams to implement communication strategies and action plans, potentially including advocacy, external relations and knowledge management
- Oversee all communication trainings and review materials to ensure compliance with GAC rules and regulations pertaining to training power point presentations, handouts, visuals, videos, etc.
- Ensure project compliance with the Branding and Marking Plan
- Act as the point of contact for all media inquiries
- Maintain the project’s photo gallery.
- Any other duties as required by the Team Leader.
- Research, Knowledge Building and Management
- Development of potential opportunities in the Natural Resource sector, prioritizing land mark activities and developments to be used for awareness-raising
- Conversion of publications into key advocacy messages for campaigns using factsheets, reports, briefings and press release, targeting diverse audiences
- Organize events to disseminate lessons and best practices from projects and communicate to wide array of stakeholders
- Compiling annual reports on communication best practices and lessons learned directly linked to YouLead goals of Gender Equality and Social Inclusion (GESI) and environmental sustainability
A university degree in a relevant discipline: International Relations, Communications or Journalism. A Master’s degree in any relevant field will be an added advantage.
- At least five years’ experience working in a high pressured strategic communications and/or knowledge management environment , external relations , public relations, corporate communications development work, preferably in social and gender issues.
- Experience leading or supporting communications activities/initiatives in Nigeria or other West African context is desirable
- Previous experience in field of advocacy for human or environment and women’s rights will be an advantage.
- Proven experience in knowledge management
- Proven experience in website management and content development
- SPECIFIC KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Communication, Representation and Networking
- Ability to create and execute strong communications strategies and plans to support programmatic objectives
- Excellent writing skills for a wide variety of audiences and media, including feature writing, speech writing, writing for social media and the web.
- Ability to articulate project views efficiently and positively in various formats, including speech, panel, debate and group discussion
- Demonstrated ability to communicate good practices and learning in working with both young women and men to contribute to breaking down negative gender and generational stereotypes
- Ability to present and represent YouLead and Cuso International in a variety of communication media to a variety of audiences including government, private sector, donors and civil society
- Strong networking skills and the ability to build relationships, alliances and networks in a fast-paced work environment
- Support Cuso International priorities with respect to profile and visibility in Nigeria as needed.
- Significant practical, analytical and theoretical knowledge and experience of international development work in sub-Saharan Africa including Nigeria, and this may include:
- an appreciation of the contribution international volunteering in its many forms can bring to development
- a strong awareness of gender and equity issues and knowledge of issues affecting young women and men (key target groups for YouLead)
- an appreciation of the contribution that the private sector and business development approaches can bring to development
- Proven ongoing commitment to staying abreast of current development thinking.
Proven ability to work effectively in a number of teams, in a multi-cultural context and where teams may be geographically dispersed.
- Proven ability to be self-serving in IT (Outlook, databases, Excel, Powerpoint) and willingness to develop IT skills in order to improve effectiveness at work
- Experience in graphic design, adobe software and publisher usage will be an added advantage
- Considerable problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Good time management, flexibility and ability to work under pressure
- Deep personal commitment for human dignity, equality, and justice
- High motivation and passion for personal development
- Strong conviction to affect change to discriminatory cultural norms and practices
- Demonstrable zeal for innovation and creativity
- Multitasking, organized and results oriented, with ability to deliver in set time frames
- Demonstrated ability in crisis management and performance under pressure
- High values of dialogue, transparency and accountability
- Team player, with a spirit of sacrifice, and a value of responsibility for one and all.
- Experience crafting messages in various formats (articles, press releases, websites, photos, video documentaries, success stories, blog entries, tweets, etc.) targeting a variety of audiences
- Fluency in English is essential
- Ability to engage with a diversity of audiences - target communities, donors and senior government decision-makers
- Ability to work under pressure and demonstrate high tolerance for change, complexity and unpredictability
- Proven experience crafting messages in various formats (articles, press releases, websites, photos, video documentaries, success stories, blog entries, tweets, etc.) targeting a variety of audiences
- Knowledge of other national or international languages will be an advantage.
- Reporting to the Project Team Leader, the Communications Manager will be the Head of the Communications unit within the YouLead Project at Cuso International in Nigeria, and supervise/build the capacity of the Communications Officer in carrying out work related functions and to implement communications and marketing strategy that will support the success of the project and provide timely and relevant information to project stakeholders with support and guidance from the Director of Communications based at the Cuso International HQ.
Method of Application
Applications must be forwarded to email@example.com, with the competition number: Communications Manager 2016-33 clearly marked as the subject title. Applications must be received by Friday, September 2nd, 2016, 11:59 pm Eastern Time. No late applications will be considered. CV must not be more than 4 pages in length maximum and covering letter must be 1 page long maximum.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale