Action Against Hunger | ACF-International works to save lives by combating hunger and diseases that threaten the lives of vulnerable communities, through nutrition, food security, water and sanitation, health and advocacy.
- ACF Nutrition in Yobe and Borno States funded by DFID is looking for a NCA consultant to develop a NCA survey and implementation plan focusing on the causes of malnutrition based on and should be guided by nutrition causal framework developed by Unicef.
- The NCA will include the NCA report and strategy for possible solutions for the key areas. The selected consultant will also be responsible for developing, pre-testing materials and conducting the survey in Yobe State.
1.) Objective 1: Conduct a Nutrition Causal Analysis following the AAH – NCA guidelines:
- Preparatory phase, desk analysis and review for planning
- Explaining the methodology, Defining objectives, study population and appropriate methodology and study plan of action to the coordination team of Partners (AAH, Unicef and WFP) along with Ministry of Health (Federal and State), as well as to the field teams
- Identify causal hypothesis for Nutrition causal factors, secondary data review & analysis existing data
- Conducting Technical expert workshop at State level to share the findings
- Qualitative enquiry, development and pre testing of field survey instruments
- NCA team training and pilot test, data collection and analysing evidence of causes
- Quantitative survey (risk factors survey/SMART)
- Development of household survey instruments
- Pre-Test of the household survey instruments
- Ensure the participation of the AAH team to the NCA study.
- Discuss and define with AAH team an action plan based on the findings and recommendations of the NCA.
- Descriptive analysis, Rating risk factors, Weighting the different sources of information, Rating Risk Factors with communities
2.) Objective 2: Team Management:
- Identify human resource requirements for the study
- Participate in the recruitment of its team with the HR and Field Coordinator
- Supervise and manage its direct employees
- Train its team to NCA survey methodology
3.) Objective 3: Communication on the NCA:
- Keep informed the NCA head of project/Senior Nutrition Advisor at HQ from the beginning of the study
- Produce an executive summary of the final NCA report
- Ensure the publication of the study.
- Prepare and publish an article about the study for AAH.
- Support the advocacy work of the mission.
4.) Objective 4: Represent and liaise with the FMOH, SMOH, NBS, Unicef, WFP, NGOs and local partners:
- Facilitate coordination meetings in line with NCA
- Work closely with Nutrition in Emergency Working Group for validation of the findings of NCA.
- Represent AAH at local, State or national level in collaboration with the Country Director and/or the field coordinator and/or Nutrition Coordinator and liaise with UN agencies, national and international NGOs and governments
5.) Objective 5: Contribute to AAH capitalization and contribute to the improvement of the NCA methodology:
- Develop recommendations / advice for the implementation of the NCA methodology through a brief mission report and a debriefing with the NCA head of project at HQ.
- Contribute to the capitalization of the field tools used for the NCA.
- Submit an action plan for conducting a Nutrition causal analysis and for developing the strategy for possible solutions/recommendations, including the timeline, activities, methods/strategies and logistics.
- Conduct a situation analysis via desk review of Nutrition resources in Yobe and Borno states using available bibliography, with focus on issues relevant to Nutrition situation. This situation analysis should document the nutrition status in implementing state; and a critical assessment of gaps, constraints and opportunities. This will be conducted through the following activities:
6.) A literature review of:
- Nutrition survey documents/studies (including KAP surveys, ORIE Studies, SQUEAC, SLEAC and SMART) conducted in the implementing state, formative research, baseline study related to the context.
- Available international experiences on Nutrition causal analysis in other context/countries;
7.) In-depth discussions with implementing partners and donor at federal and state level.
- Development of a draft Nutrition causal analysis report for nutrition program in Yobe, Consultancy Deliverables:
- 1.) Action plan along with work plan prepared and approved
- 2.) Draft NCA Report developed and submitted
- 3.) NCA report disseminated at the workshop and shared program team
- 3.) Final NCA report submitted to AAH, Nigeria
- Minimum of 5 months depending on proposed methodology and work plan Products
- Provide a written report on the training provide hard copies of Link NCA surveys to Yannick Pouchalan , the Country director of ACF-Nigeria and to the Nutrition expert
- The consultant should submit on a timely manner all the required products mentioned in section
- Each of these products should be submitted under the following conditions:
- The final version of these products should be submitted in print copy (2 copies) and soft copy (2 CD or DVD).
- The electronic quality of the soft copy of the required products should be in a format that can be properly printed without any adjustments or additional configurations.
- The deadline for submission is Dec 31, 2016.
- General report of the whole process done in order to obtain all of the above mentioned products.
- Beginning date for the training: Aug 1 2016
- Ending date of the training: Dec 31 2016
- Maximum Duration (including travel days and preparation days): 150 days
- Experience in Nutrition programs and has worked in similar context
- Past experience in Link NCA done along with documented reports
- 10 years of field experience in the evaluation of development/humanitarian projects
- Bachelors/Masters degree in Nutrition, Public health, socio/economics and/or anthropology
- Good communication skills and experience of workshop facilitation
- Ability to write clear and useful reports
- Fluent in both written and spoken English
- Ability to manage the available time and resources and to work to tight deadlines
- Applications should include:
- Up-to-date curriculum vitae,
- One supporting document of max 3 pages outlining core competencies in line with the assignment, the proposed methodology of work including timeframe and location and the financial expectations,
- Evidence of past experience in undertaking similar assignments (three most recent documents preferred) of similar works done (development of guidelines),
- Three (3) references of previous assignments.
- Only shortlisted applications will be contacted.
- The final selection will be done by Action Against Hunger USA
- Action Against Hunger will consider applications from both individuals and teams. Applications shall clearly identify a team leader, who will be the sole responsible to deliver the outputs of the assignment.
- For more information, prospective consultants may contact Monday to Friday between 9am and 5pm (GMT+3) at the following email address or by phone: Email: email@example.com or tel: +254 721 126 481.
Method of Application
Applicants must submit their applications by email referenced under title "Consultancy for Nutrition Causal Analysis Survey" at: firstname.lastname@example.org