Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an International non-governmental organization supporting relief and development work in over 99 countries around the world. CRS programs assist persons on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality, CRS works through local church and non-church partners to implement its programs, therefore, strengthening and building the capacity of these partner organizations is fundamental to programs in every country in which CRS operates. CRS re-established presence in Nigeria in 2000 and currently focuses on agriculture, health and emergency programming. CRS is expanding its activities in the North-East in the area of Food Security, Nutrition, Non Food Items, Water and Sanitation.
CRS Nigeria is seeking an experienced agriculturalist to act in the strategic, senior management role of Technical Advisor-Agriculture (TA-Agric). Reporting to the Deputy Country Representative/Programs (DCRP), the Technical Advisor- Agric will lead all aspects of current and future agricultural and livelihoods programming. Leading the design and ensuring program quality of integrated programs that address systemic constraints to sustained and market-based livelihood improvements in agricultural value chains, the Technical Advisor- Agric will be a key member of the senior management team tasked with maintaining and further positioning CRS in Nigeria at the forefront of agricultural development efforts.
Technical Guidance and Assistance
1. Provide technical assistance to CRS in Nigeria agric programs to ensure program quality.
2. Assist CRS in Nigeria agric programs in developing solutions to identified challenges.
3. Ensure agric project objectives and results are fully accomplished; meeting and/or surpassing expected technical quality standards.
4. Ensure high quality quarterly, annual, and final agric project reports are submitted in timely manner.
5. Design agricultural and livelihoods projects from a gender transformative perspective.
6. Lead project development and strategic support in a wide variety of areas, including value chain development and upgrading strategies, improving access to agricultural inputs, agricultural extension, marketing, climate-smart agriculture, and rural and peri-urban garden plot development.
7. Facilitate market driven linkages between agribusiness producers, wholesalers, processors, and markets within Nigeria, the region, and internationally.
8. Conduct regular field visits to program sites providing hands-on technical assistance and monitoring of program activities and implementation.
Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability & Learning
1. Develop rigorous, results based and impact focused programmatic monitoring systems to be used in the design of future programs.
2. Identify and implement information technology (ICT4D) solutions to improve MEAL initiatives within the agric program.
3. In collaboration with CRS Senior Agricultural Team and MEAL Unit staff, document program results for multiple objectives, including program quality improvement, dissemination within CRS, and to peer agencies.
4. Identify training needs and oversee quality of training in the agric sector for targeted staff and partners.
5. Collaborate with the CRS Agricultural Team and larger agricultural research and development community to promote learning and identification of relevant innovations, including assisting with the testing of new agric tools and approaches.
Strategic Growth & Business Development
1. Lead in the development and implementation of an agric growth strategy in line with country program and agency strategic initiatives. This may include conducting innovative research and market analysis for targeted value chains.
2. Lead in the identification, prepositioning and development of new agricultural business development opportunities
3. Develop relationships with key institutional donors, private sector and university partners with the view to understand the priorities and the mutually beneficial opportunities of each organization.
4. Facilitate and attend workshops in core areas related to the agric sector. This includes attending international conferences, preferably as a presenter of CRS in Nigeria’s work.
Human Resource Management:
1. Lead and provide technical support to staff with a view of developing their programmatic and management capacity.
2. Mentor staff to ensure high levels of motivation, commitment, capacity, and teamwork.
KEY WORKING RELATIONSHIPS
REQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
• At least ten (10) years of professional work experience in agriculture, agribusiness development or related discipline
• Past experience leading and building the capacity of teams to meet program needs and deliverables
• Demonstrated proposal writing skills, particularly of USG or other public donor funded programs required.
• Knowledge of key USG regulations including, but not limited to USAID 22 CF Part 226 Administration of Assistance Awards to U.S. Non-Governmental Organizations, 22 CFR Part 145 Grants and Agreements with Non-Profits, OMB Circulars A-122, Cost principles for non-profit organizations and A-133 Audit of states, local governments, and non-profits preferred.
• Proven experience in building and maintaining institutional linkages.
• Ability to travel nationally and internationally as required.
• Excellent English language oral and written communication skills required
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, including Word, Excel and Outlook required.
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
• Serves with Integrity
• Models Stewardship
• Cultivates Constructive Relationships
• Promotes Learning
CRS Competencies for Program Managers
• Sets clear goals and manages towards them
• Collaborates effectively with staff and stakeholders
• Manages financial resources with integrity
• Applies program quality standards to project design and organizational learning
This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skills, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position. Female candidates meeting position requirements are strongly encouraged to apply. CRS is an equal opportunity employer.
Interested and qualified? Go to Catholic Relief Services career website on www5.apply2jobs.com to apply