The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters, NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours’ notice when a crisis occurs.
In light of the displacement in the north eastern part of Nigeria, NRC is about to start up an emergency response programme in Nigeria to respond to the humanitarian needs.
In the coming months, the main focus for NRC would be conflict affected populations including IDPs, returnees and the local communities in Borno State. NRC will initially be starting activities in the area of food security, water and sanitation, shelter/NFI sectors and Access Coordination.
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Reports to: The ICLA Programme Development Manager based in Maiduguri.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Ensure adherence with NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Implement delegated CC projects according to plan of action
- Ensure that project targets beneficiaries most in need, and explore and asses new and better ways to assist
- Promote and share ideas for technical improvement
- Actively facilitate and maintain Liaison and collaboration with relevant local and national authorities and stakeholders and represent NRC in relevant forums/cluster/working groups.
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy
- Involve and inform communities and community leaders about the activities to ensure accountability.
- Break down the annual operational plans into weekly, monthly and quarterly implementation plans
- Prepare periodic progress reports and other documents as required
- Perform any other duties as requested by the ICLA Program Development Manager
- Implement the legal assistance programs including HLP , CDR and identity documentation activities innovatively to adapt to location and context, in line with proposals, strategies and donor requirements and optimise opportunities for synergies
- Contribute to the Development and planning procedures and tools for implementation of ICLA projects in line with proposals, strategies and donor requirements
- Document project achievements and deliverables
- Monitor technical quality of ICLA projects and maintain transparency of implementation progress
- Experience from working as a Project Officer in a humanitarian context
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Minimum 3 years’ experience from practice as a lawyer. Experience from working in the field of humanitarian assistance is an advantage.
- Must have a good knowledge of the laws and policies governing HLP issues and Identity documentation
- Must possess a Bachelor of Law Degree and must have been called to the Nigerian Bar ( be able to practice as a lawyer in Nigeria) and be conversant with international humanitarian and Human Rights law
- Excellent communication skills - written and spoken English required.
- Fluency in one or more of the national/regional languages (Hausa and Kanuri preferred)
- Must be willing to work as a team member, take direction, and share technical skills with colleagues and counterparts
- Computer literacy in word processing and spreadsheets is required,
- Must be able to work under pressure.
- Ability to work under pressure, independently and with limited supervision.
- Highest standards of ethics and integrity
- Ability to work in insecure environments
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Panning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Codes of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable
- Commencement: As soon as possible
- Contract period: 5 Months (with possibility of extension)
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s directions
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidate should submit their application letter and updated CV's to email@example.com The title of the position you apply for (ICLA Project Officer - Maiduguri) must be indicated in the subject line of your e-mail. Please notice that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Please notice that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Please note that to apply at NRC is FREE!!!
- Any application after the closing will not be considered
- NRC does not ask for money or any form of favour for submission of application or employment.
- The Norwegian Refugee Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Women are particularly encouraged to apply to this position.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale