If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
The Agriculture Transformation Agenda (ATA), unveiled by the Honourable Minister for Agriculture presented opportunities for the provision of technical assistance and other support to the Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (FMARD) for the scale up of positive inclusive markets experience in Nigeria. The ATA is aimed at establishing a sustainable agriculture and agribusiness in Nigeria to raise the income of rural farmers. UNDP through its project, Facility for Inclusive Markets (FIM) has offered to support the Government of Nigeria (GoN) in key demand areas that include developing and implementing key value chains in agriculture and agro-industry and enhancing inclusiveness. FIM will also work towards its goal of catalysing the scale up of positive Inclusive Market experience in Nigeria and as a platform for capturing knowledge in and out of Nigeria.
The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF) is providing, through UNDP, long term technical assistance to the Agricultural Transformation Implementation Group (ATIG) as the organ established by the FMARD to implement the Agricultural Transformation Agenda. This support will compliment the UNDP-FIM project and ensure the successful delivery of the goals of the ATA. This project will provide critical technical expertise to strengthen the capacity of the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development to successfully implement the ATA. The UNDP-BMGF technical assistance to FMARD will support term technical assistance for capacity development and the expansion of value chains in agriculture and agro-industry, institutional policy support and direct intervention to farmers and other small holder value chain actors that are vital to ensuring inclusiveness and sustainable results in the creation of business opportunities and jobs at the grassroots.
The success of the agricultural transformation action plan requires the development of sound and evidence-based policies and institutional reforms. There is need for consultative processes to ensure understanding of stated government policies, shape those policies and ensure successful implementation. The agricultural transformation agenda will draw on the wealth of expertise within Nigerian economics and policy think tanks, with support from the International Food Policy Research Institute.
This post is a Development Project Funded (DPF) post.
The United Nations Development Programme (Nigeria) announces the following vacancy
Duties and Responsibilities
The National Adviser, Food and Agricultural Policy will have the following terms of reference:
- Spearhead in-depth and critical review of the state of food and agricultural policy in Nigeria and advise the Honourable Minister on priority evidence-based food and agricultural policies, and institutional, legal and regulatory reforms needed to drive the agricultural transformation agenda and rural development.
- Coordinate the Food and Agricultural Policy Transformation Group - made up of leading policy experts from universities, economics and policy think tanks and public sector agencies across Nigeria - to develop an Agricultural Transformation Policy Action Plan to drive the agricultural transformation agenda.
- Provide analytical support for the determination of the impacts of agricultural policies on agricultural producers and consumers and how to sequence policy and institutional reforms to ensure successful implementation of the agricultural transformation action plan.
- Develop a clear policy advocacy action plan to effectively communicate the policy directions to drive the agricultural transformation agenda.
- Build strong policy advocacy networks for the successful implementation of agricultural policies, through creating awareness and effectively communicating the Agricultural Transformation Agenda (ATA) to non-state actors, and ensuring that stakeholders are adequately informed of the ATA programmes.
- Monitoring and evaluation of the implementation of food and agricultural policies.
- Preparation of policy briefs for the Honourable Minister of Agriculture, policy briefs for the Agricultural Transformation Implementation Council.
- Develop and deepen the internal policy institutional capacity within the Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favouritism
- Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes knowledge management in UNDP and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example
- In-depth practical knowledge of inter-disciplinary development issues
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
- Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting
- Ability to lead formulation and monitoring of management projects
- Solid knowledge in financial resources and human resources management, contract, asset and procurement, information and communication technology, general administration
- Ability to lead business processes re-engineering, implementation of new systems (business side), and affect staff behavioural/ attitudinal change
Management and Leadership:
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
- Ability to lead effectively, mentoring as well as conflict resolution skills
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills
- Remains calm, in control and good humoured even under pressure
- Proven networking, team-building, organizational and communication skills
Required Skills and Experience
Master’s degree in Business Administration, or Master’s /PHD in Agriculture or other relevant subject
- 7 years in a senior management position in agricultural or related sector in Nigeria with a government, international or private sector agency
- Remarkable track record in developing and executing strategies plans and initiatives on agriculture development/transformation (or related sectors)
- Demonstrated track record in building, leading and managing high-performing organizations and teams.
Method of Application
Click here to apply