John Snow, Inc. (JSI) is a US based international public health firm managing four supply chain management-related technical assistance projects through its integrated offices in Abuja, Nigeria. JSI is seeking someone to lead the USAID/DELIVER Project's malaria program. This person will manage and/or supervise all malaria-related logistics operations and technical assistance activities implemented by the JSI Nigeria Integrated Supply Chain Field Office. This position will be filled at the Associate Director or Director level, depending on the successful candidate's experience and seniority.
The USAID/DELIVER PROJECT contributes towards the United States Government (USG) objective of halving the malaria burden in 70 per cent of the at-risk population of Nigeria. The Project operates in accordance with the priorities of PMI, USAID/Nigeria, the Federal Ministry of Health Nigeria (FMOH), namely the National Malaria Control Program (NMCP), and the States Ministry of Health (SMOH). The Project supports the Malaria Action Program for States (MAPS) Project and the Targeted States High Impact Project (TSHIP), in part through the provision of essential malaria control commodities.
The project provides technical assistance to the FMOH and SMOH in the areas of logistics and supply chain management in order to meet USG objectives of improving product availability through the procurement and delivery of high quality malaria products and strengthening the in-country supply systems that manage these products.
- Organize, manage and supervise a dedicated malaria program staff of approximately 15-20, including field-based advisors and full-time consultants approving leave requests, travels, timesheets, coordinating provision of capacity building activities, etc.
- lead the development, and assure the effective implementation, of an annual work plan and budget for USAID I DELIVER PROJECT Task Order 7 (malaria) activities, in collaboration with USAIDjNigeria, other key partners, and JSI field office and headquarters staff.
- Support the establishment and conduct of routine meetings of procurement and supply management (PSM) coordination working groups and committees for malaria commodities in collaboration with FMOH, SMOH, USAID/Nigeria, and other donors and malaria control partners.
- Provide technical leadership and support for annual national quantification and procurement and supply planning of commodities for malaria control, in collaboration with FMOH, other Government of Nigeria departments, state governments, international donors and other malaria control partners.
- Collaborate with M&E Department (and other stakeholders as appropriate) to promote and facilitate the design and implementation of assessment and evaluation studies and assure the effective analysis and presentation of results to stakeholders.
- Manage and provide technical input into the development of Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for routine PSM activities for malaria commodities, and assist in the development of training curricula and training programs for federal and state-level malaria control program and logistics officers to ensure proper implementation of and subsequent adherence to these SOPs by malaria control personnel.
- Monitor and provide supportive supervision to national and state logistics advisors.
- Collaborate with other JSI project personnel in efforts to promote and facilitate the harmonization of health commodity logistics and supply management systems.
- In collaboration with senior management, ensure close, positive relationships and good communications with USAID/Nigeria, FMOH (in particular NMCP), the MAPS and TSHIP projects, and all other partners and stakeholders in malaria control programs in Nigeria.
- Draft routine quarterly and annual reports for submission to the DCOP and COP and eventually program funders.
- Contribute to identifying best practices and success stories for funder and the field office's periodic logistics bulletin.
- Work with Short-Term Technical Assistance (STTA) providers to provld required technical assistance for activities and facilitate transfer of skill to appropriate local staff.
- Ensure fair, effective and timely periodic assessments of supervised staff.
- Discharge responsibilities ot and contribute actively and effectively as, ; member of the JSI Nigeria integrated supply chain field office Senior Management Team (SMT).
- Perform other duties assigned bythe DCOP or COP.
Minimum Qualifications and Skills/Knowledge
Applicants for this position should possess the following skills and qualifications:
- Advanced clinical degree or a Master's degree in Public Health, Pharmacy, Logistics Management or Business Administration.
- At least 5 years professional experience in public health programs including at least 2 years experience in malaria control programs and in health commodity logistics and supply management.
- At least 5 years professional experience in Nigeria.
- At least 2 years experience managing donor-funded public health programs in Nigeria or another low-income country, including responsibility for budgeting, expenditure management and humar resources.
- Ability to supervise, train and mentorprofessional staff.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Excellent English language writing and oral presentation skills.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and to work effectively as part of a team.
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, in particular, Word Excel and PowerPoint.
- Ability and willingness to travel to project-supported states and health facilities up to 25% of the time.
- Expereince working with USA1D-funded program strongly desired.
- Experience working with FMOH and NMCP strongly desired.
Method of Application
Interested applicants should send their CV and application letter to firstname.lastname@example.org within one week of this advert publication.
JOHN SNOW, INC. IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.