Andela is developing a corps of high-quality technology talent across the African continent that will drive the current and future phases of tech-enabled growth around the world. With the fastest growing population and highest youth population in the world, we believe Africa is one of the greatest untapped markets for talent development.
Andela extends engineering teams with world-class software developers. We recruit the most talented developers on the African continent, shape them into technical leaders, and place them as full-time distributed team members with companies that range from Microsoft and IBM to dozens of high-growth startups. Backed by Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, GV (Google Ventures) and Spark Capital, Andela is building the next generation of global technology leaders. Passion, excellence, entrepreneurial spirit, and rejecting the status quo are just a few of the things that Andela team members have in common.
We have a vision to train 100,000 world-class developers in the next 10 years – and we want you to help make it happen
About the Accountant Role
You will be part of a high-functioning team where your work matters. You will make a difference and join our mission. As most start-ups, we operate at lightning speed, and if you embrace it, you'll be challenged every day. This position will report directly to the Finance Manager, Lagos.
The Accountant will provide overall account support for Andela Lagos operations with accurate preparation of financial statement of affairs; timely execution of monthly payroll, recording of expenses and reconciliations as required.
The specific responsibilities of the Accountant will include:
- Assist in preparing accrual basis monthly balance sheet, statement of operations and requested additional schedules for dashboard for parent company within 10 days of each month end.
- Execute monthly payroll in time for Management review and bank advice. Timely payroll processing and take full responsibility for all Nigerian Government Payroll Compliance And Reporting
- Assist in developing reporting processes, procedures and internal controls for maintaining the efficient flow of all financial transactions
- Monitor assigned payroll activities including taxes and pensions etc. to ensure Andela’s compliance with related laws of the country and timely remittance of same by administrators
- Manage all accounts payables and issue out petty cash to staff and Fellows in line with approved documentation
- Manage the accounts receivable process, including billing and cash collections
- Manage the Fixed Asset process, including maintaining a Fixed Asset register and running of monthly depreciation.
- Assisting in managing treasury functions which includes updating the weekly bank and payment positions and ensuring that the Company’s bank accounts are properly funded at all times.
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliations for all bank accounts in the ledger.
- Monthly reconciliation of intercompany activity with parent company and other Andela subsidiaries
- Posts customer payments by recording cash, checks, and credit card transactions.
- Provide admin support and contract compliance reviews if any as required by the Finance Manager, Lagos.
Qualifications & Characteristics
As the ideal candidate for this role, you should:
- Have a BSc in Finance/Business Administration with minimum ICAN Skill Level
- Have a minimum of 3-5 years experience in an accounting and payroll function
- Have a clear understanding of finance processes, tax and pension process
- Be able to use Quickbooks or learn same pretty fast
- Have a good knowledge of MS Excel and other MS office tools
- Be able to monitor progress and takes action or escalates as needed
- Have accurate book-keeping skills
- Be able to communicate clearly and present work product clearly
- Have the ability to manage multiple priorities and projects while working as part of an interdepartmental team in a fast-paced environment
Benefits & Compensation
- Full-time compensation
- Full medical coverage
- Lunch and snacks provided daily
- Beautiful working environment
- Opportunity to work with the brightest minds on the plane
- Oh, and a chance to change the world!
Method of Application
Interested candidates should apply on Greenhouse.io