African Development Bank (AfDB) - Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank's development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
The Private Sector and Microfinance Department (OPSD) is responsible for all private sector operations falling within the umbrella of the Bank Group’s private sector development strategy. The department plans, organizes and carries out the activities related to private sector project identification, preparation, appraisal, and implementation. The department also provides financial and technical assistance for private sector projects and programs and supports the Bank’s country diagnostic and strategy work as well as enabling environment reform programs to improve the investment climate in Africa.
The Infrastructure and Public Private Partnership Division (OPSD3) is responsible for originating all infrastructure operations that do not have an explicit sovereign guarantee from the beneficiary country. This includes non-sovereign guaranteed projects in the power, transportation, telecommunications and water sectors. The division leads project teams that identify, appraise and process infrastructure projects until first disbursement, at which point primary responsibility is passed to the portfolio management division.
The Private sector and Microfinance Department is recruiting an Investment Officer at grade level PL-3 for the Division of Infrastructure and PPPs. The main objectives of the position are to:
- Promote private sector development in regional member countries (RMCs) through financing private enterprises, public-private partnerships (PPPs) and projects in various Infrastructure sectors which are technically feasible, financially and economically viable, and environmentally sound and create optimum added value, without sovereign guarantees in accordance with sound banking principles;
- Mobilize domestic and foreign resources for investment in the private sector through co-financing operations with other institutions, commercial banks and Export Credit Agencies;
- Execute transactions and build relationships with clients, global and regional private businesses, banking and multilateral partners and government officials;
- Contribute to private sector development in the AfDB’s countries of operation by executing innovative, developmental, and profitable investments.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Division Manager, Investment Officers:
- Work with Junior staff to help identify and execute viable investment transactions across Africa, which maximize development impact as well as profitability.
- Lead and/or participate in the planning and appraisal of investment opportunities that include conducting company due diligence and financial analysis to assess the viability and optimal structure of an AfDB investment;
- Lead and/or participate in the preparation of project appraisal reports for presentation to the Department, the various review committees and finally to the Board of Directors.
- Ensure that all conditions precedent have been fulfilled on a timely basis and process or oversee the first disbursement to projects and ensuring a smooth transition of primary responsibility for the project to the portfolio management team.
- Ability to lead and/or participate in multidisciplinary teams of the African Development Bank (AfDB) professionals who have expertise in the regions or sectors in which we do business, including legal, environmental, social, industry and product specialists.
- Assist the portfolio management team to ensure effective monitoring and supervision of the originated projects in the portfolio.
- Develop and maintain quality relationships with clients to ensure responsive client service and to foster repeat business and generate new opportunities/relationships for AfDB.
- Play an active role in coaching and mentoring more junior investment officers.
- Represent the Division/Department in meetings as maybe assigned from time-to-time.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- A minimum of a Master's Degree in Business Administration, Finance, Banking or related areas, preferably engineering.
- A minimum of seven (7) years of professional relevant experience, ideally in an international investment bank of Development Finance Institutions (DFI).
- Knowledge of the infrastructure sectors; equity investment and/or project finance is preferred; investment transaction experience in the Infrastructure sectors in Africa would be a plus.
- Ability to build partnerships and deliver results that meet the needs and long-term interest of clients within and outside the institution;
- Sound business judgment in identifying potential business partners.
- Strong financial and credit skills; demonstrated ability to structure a variety of complex financial instruments (debt and sub debt).
- Strong inter-personal skills, ability to interact effectively with clients and colleagues from various cultural backgrounds.
- Highly motivated, committed to highest ethical standards.
- Genuine commitment to sustainable development, AfDB’s mission, strategy and values.
- Excellent organizational, administrative, and time management skills with proven ability to work promptly and efficiently under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- Willingness to travel.
- Competence in the use of Bank standard software (Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and/or French, and preferably with a working knowledge of the other language.
Method of Application
To apply, visit AfDB Career Page