Chemonics International, an international development firm based in Washington, DC., seeks professionals for USAID’s anticipated multi-year health program in Nigeria; the Strategic HIV and AIDS Response Program (SHARP).
- This program will focus on improving the quality and effectiveness of high-impact, evidence-based HIV/AIDS interventions to meet state and local government areas’ goals and objectives.
- It will implement governance, access, and demand activities for HIV/AIDS and tuberculosis services. Specific objectives include targeted and efficient HIV case identification and linkage to care and treatment; enrollment of patients in HIV/AIDS therapy, with adequate adherence and minimal loss to follow-up; successful suppression of HIV viral loads; specialized services that attract key populations; and increased capacity of the government of Nigeria to expand, oversee, and finance HIV/AIDS and tuberculosis services.
- We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
- Provide overall program leadership, management, and technical direction
- Serve as a key liaison with USAID, the government of Nigeria, program stakeholders, and counterparts in the public and private sectors
- Manage and supervise the work of program personnel and subcontractors
- Ensure that all program assistance is technically sound and appropriate
- Collaboratively create and implement a strategic, long-term programmatic vision
- Oversee program work planning, performance management, and strategic communications
- Master’s degree in Public Health or Medicine
- Minimum 10 years of relevant development experience designing, implementing, and managing USAID or other donor-funded health programs of similar size, scope, and complexity
- Experience as chief of party on a donor-funded project in Nigeria or West Africa preferred
- Proven success in managing HIV/AIDS programs; strong technical knowledge of HIV/AIDS, malaria, tuberculosis, maternal and child health, health systems strengthening, and quality improvement/assurance
- Ability to work collaboratively with local government stakeholders, international donors, and local partners at the national and sub-national levels; record of building capacity of local partners
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation, data management, and knowledge sharing
- Experience working closely with multidisciplinary teams in developing countries
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to articulate a strategic vision
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
Applicants candidates should visit Chemonics Career Page.In addition, please download and complete "Chemonics’ equal employment opportunity self-identification form" and submit it separately to: EEOselfidentify@chemonics.com with only “Nigeria SHARP COP” recruit in the subject line. If you prefer not to disclose your sex, race, or ethnicity, you may check “I do not wish to complete the information requested.”
Click here to download Chemonics’ equal employment opportunity self-identification form
Note: Candidates will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the positions are filled. No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted.
- The successful candidate will manage the Finance and Accounting functions under the project.
- This includes but is not limited to entering monthly transactions, managing accounting staff, overseeing tax withholding and remittances to relevant local governments, sending wire transfers to the Home Office and conducting regular bank reconciliations.
His/her main duties are:
- Implement the policies and procedures as set forth in the Field Accounting and Allowances manuals.
- Classify receipts and disbursements in accordance with the Chemonics Chart of Accounts and report project transactions using the project accounting software Abacus.
- Maintain and control the project field cash position. including but not limited to: requesting accurate and appropriate wire transfer requests; preparing monthly bank reconciliations, issuing checks to vendors and landlords; calculating and paying the required taxes and social insurance to the proper authorities.
- Ensure that all proper documentation per the policy manual is in place for each transaction before issuing payments.
- Prepare and issue payroll checks for local staff.
- Collect and process long and short-term local timesheets and track sick and annual leave accrual for all local employees.
- Review and reconcile the project petty cash.
- Review local expense reports for compliance with USAID and Federal Travel Regulations before reimbursement or travel advance reconciliation.
- Closely monitor and make all necessary efforts to reduce accounts receivable and accounts payable balances.
- Ensure that all product/service procurements document the procurement process and selection according to USAID regulations and Chemonics/project policy.
- Maintain detailed and comprehensive accounting files for all project expenditures including but not limited to procurement, payroll, bank reconciliations, petty cash and other ad hoc reports ensuring that, at all times, financial records are kept in accordance with Chemonics policy and procedures as set forth in its Field Accounting Manual.
- Collaborate closely with the Office Managers in Kano and Lagos to ensure they are successfully fulfilling their accounting responsibilities.
- Establish and maintain a good working relationship with the project’s bank, ensuring that banking activities are processed in a timely and professional manner, and ensure that the bank is providing all necessary services to the project at competitive prices.
- Understand the principles of gender equality and female empowerment and apply them as appropriate to the work conducted by incumbent and his/her subordinates in the Finance Department.
- Produce work products in conformity with the project and clients’ standards.
- Communicate information in a way that demonstrates a basic understanding of development assistance work, culture, values, and practices, and the specific scope and nature of the project.
- Demonstrate maturity, dependability, integrity, and initiative to learn competencies and skills required for the job assignment.
- Promote a work environment that emphasizes teamwork, respect for differences, and accepting and giving constructive feedback.
- Conduct any other assignments as requested by supervisor.
Location of Assignment:
- This assignment will be conducted from the project head office in Abuja, Nigeria, with occasional required travel to the Regional Offices.
- The Finance Manager shall be supervised by the Finance and Administration Manager
- A University degree in Accounting.
- 5-10 years of work experience in accounting, bookkeeping, and/or financial analysis.
- At least 2 years of experience working on a USAID contract implemented by an international company.
- Demonstrated ability working with ABACUS accounting software.
- Previous experience working with an organization with multiple project offices.
- Experience processing payroll far a medium to large sized staff.
- Knowledge of tax rules of Nigeria with experience withholding and remitting to various state governments.
- Experience using MS Word and Excel
Other Desired Requirements:
- Good interpersonal skills, honesty, and commitment to excellence
- Ability to establish and maintain effective, sustainable relationships with project staff, tax authorities, USAID Mission personnel, and staff from the general development and business community
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, to be able accept and discharge substantial responsibilities, to prioritize work assignments, to meet deadlines, and to exercise professional judgment
- Possesses excellent communications skills in English, including the ability to prepare informative and properly formatted communications in English
- Strong organizational and work prioritization skills, attention to detail.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Demonstrates leadership, versatility, and integrity.
Applicants should send their cover letter and CVs in a single Ms Word document detailing all relevant professional experience and achievements, including telephone and email contacts of at least three referees to: email@example.com Please specify ‘the position’ in the subject line
Note: Only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.