Lighting Africa is part of the World Bank Group’s contribution to Sustainable Energy for All (SE4All). It is implemented in partnership with the Energy Sector Management Assistance Program (ESMAP), the Global Environment Facility (GEF) and the governments of Australia, Austria, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, Italy, Lithuania, the Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, the United Kingdom, and the United States of America.
Lighting Africa, a joint World Bank and IFC program, seeks to accelerate the development of markets for modern, affordable off-grid lighting products in Sub-Saharan Africa where close to 600 million people - or about two-thirds of the population - live without grid electricity. This lack of modern energy services severely limits educational and economic opportunities as well as negatively impacting day-to-day quality of life. The goal is to mobilize, and provide support to the private sector to supply quality, affordable and modern off- grid solar lighting and energy solutions to people living in areas that are not connected to the electric grid.
The Opportunity in Nigeria
- Nigeria is Africa';s most populous country, with over 170 million people. However, about 60% of Nigerians live in off-grid locations. As a result many Nigerian households have resorted to fuel-based alternatives such as small generators, kerosene lanterns, battery- powered torches and candles that are not only expensive but also hazardous to health and the environment.
- This situation presents a huge opportunity for safer, more affordable and more efficient off-grid lighting solutions. Through the Lighting Africa Nigeria program, which was launched in 2015, the World Bank and the International Finance Corporation, in partnership with manufacturers of quality verified solar lighting products, microfinance institutions and other development stakeholders, are creating an opportunity to accelerate access to high quality solar lighting products by Nigerian households.
Growing Consumer Demands for Off-grids Lighting Products
- The Lighting Africa Program in Nigeria has launched a targeted consumer education campaign with the goal of creating awareness and educating consumers on the benefits of quality off-grid lighting products The campaign, which is still on-going, is indeed generating awareness and growing consumer demand for these products.
- This growing consumer interest and demand, as well as the massive growth prospects for off-grid lighting products in Nigeria, are now attracting an increasing number of manufacturers of quality-verified off-grid lighting and energy products who have expressed keen interest in partnering with local distribution companies to profitably grow the market in Nigeria.
- Accordingly, the Lighting Africa Program seeks to link up manufacturers and Nigeria-based distributors who are interested in tapping into this viable and growing business opportunity.
Are you Interested in being a National, Regional or State Distributor?
Interested national, regional or state distributors/sub-distributors should:
- Have an effective country-wide distribution network in key regions / towns/rural areas either directly or indirectly through reputable partners.
- Have a good working relationship with trade channels country-wide.
- Have an established sales and marketing team capable of contributing to a steady growth of the company.
- Have a good marketing and sales structure that can integrate an additional small sized service and maintenance unit.
- Have a sound financial base.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified company meeting the above criteria should send in a Letter of interest and company profile which includes:
- A summary of the company's business including history, values and strengths;
- The range of products distributed and estimated quantities sold perquarter;
- A summary of the distribution network and reach including the number of outlets and locations served.
Letters of interest should be submitted by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Interested companies should expressly indicate the category of distributorship sought (that is, National, Regional or State).
- Only short-listed companies will be contacted.