Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries, including the United States. We aim to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children, and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives by improving their health, education and economic opportunities. In times of acute crisis, we mobilize rapid assistance to help children recover from the effects of war, conflict and natural disasters. Each year, we and our partners reach millions of children in communities around the world. Join our dedicated and diverse staff in their work to improve the well-being of children everywhere.
- To ensure the maintenance and administration of a robust and an effective grants management system that is compliant to SC grants systems and guidelines and meet donor requirements.
Key Areas of Accountability
Grants Management and Administration:
- Maintenance of an effective and efficient central grant filing system in accordance with SC grant checklist
- Maintenance of an effective grant control/reporting schedule
- Preparation of draft donor financial reports and sending to F&GM before submission to Chief Of Party and Country Director
- Coordinating financial and narrative reports and sending to Grants Manager before submission to donors/region/HQ
- Dissemination of information/correspondence regarding grants as instructed by the Grants Manager
- Chasing action points and chasing reports - setting up reminder system (wall chart / diary)
- Ensuring income is requested/received according to schedule
- Ensure monthly deadlines such as Debt, KPI, Scheme of Delegation are met
- Preparation of budget monitoring reports for use by COP using the SUN system information
- Review of transactions and records to ensure compliance with donor requirements via SUN
- Assisting Budget Holders in the preparation of budgets in SC format (FBS) including phasing and re-phasing of budgets
- Initiate the internal SC grant processes (PAD/CAD application process) in liaison with COP and Grants Manager
- Liaise with budget holders to ensure that Personnel Activity Reports (PARs) are completed for all staff funded under US federal funds and or where personnel are allocated across more than one financial source code.
- Liaising with budget holders and programme managers in order to prepare financial reports, asset registers and other documents, as required by donors, are produced in donor specific formats ensuring that they and detailed background information is filed electronically and in hard copy
- Prepare financial reports that are compatible with the narrative reports, asset registers, and other returns to donors
- Work closely with Grants Manager and COP in ensuring that all requisite Donor reports are submitted on time and in compliance with prescribed Donor formats
Grant Management Information:
- FMS administrator, including regular update of information on grants through daily review and monitoring of FMS dashboard.
- With the Grants Manager create new Proposal Authorization Document (PAD) & Contract Authorization Document (PAD)
- Prepare quarterly Projects In Pipelines (PIP) and send to regional office meeting deadline
- Prepare Restricted Fund Schedule and send to HQ and regional office within deadline
- Prepare all donor reports in accordance with donor requirements and SC reporting schedule with support from GM
- Initiate and close all grants as appropriate
- Grants scheme of delegation is in place for all grants
- Participate in the annual budget development
- Support budget holders in the proposal budget costing
- Support budget holders in the understanding of budget reports including phasing and re-phasing of budgets
- Support finance manager in the development of standard costing for country programme
Audit and Evaluation:
- Assist with the Internal and External audit preparations including putting together relevant documentation and ToR for the Audit
- Coordinate all SC grants audits and ensure complete implementation of recommendations
- Follow up on audit issues and provide appropriate response with support from FGM
Field Office and Partner Support Function:
- Capacity Building of partners in understanding finance and grant management
- Capacity Building of Budget Holders & Field staff in Grant Management
- Pre awards assessment and due diligence check for new partners
- CSO support and monitoring visits with adequate feedback and actions
- Work closely with Finance Team on finance /grants related issues
- Participate in monthly finance and grants meetings and provide update on all financial grants issues
- Participate in Year End & on-going processes relating to grants status including final reconciliation of donor disbursements & grant expenditure, confirmation of debt and income carry forward positions, grant closures
- Attend to financial queries related to grants administration from donors, TD, COP, HQ Finance.
- Other - Other ad hoc tasks as requested by Line Manager.
- Comply with all relevant Save the Children policies and procedures with respect to child protection, health and safety, code of conduct, equal opportunities and other relevant policies
Skills and Experience
- A Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Commerce or Finance with a recognised professional certificate in accounting - Part II ACA, ACMA, ACCA
- Substantial management experience of which at least 3 for the non-profit sector
- Experience of managing institutional donor contracts such as DFID, EC, ECHO, USAID
- Proven experience in strategic financial management and producing appropriate management information to support strategy development and decision-making by management
- Proven training experience to all levels of staff, both informal (on the job coaching) and formal (structured training courses).
- Proven analytical skills and ability to translate analysis into appropriate, feasible and practical implementation plans and goals.
- An understanding of development work in order to communicate effectively with donors and programme staff on funding sources and programme issues
- Experience of developing guidelines and formats to support staff in donor applications and reporting with particular reference to USAID grants
- Knowledge of major donor funding sources and grant application processes
- Ability to recognise and interpret funding trends and make recommendations on implications for funding
- Experience of managing or supporting programmes in each stage of the project cycle, including development of funding proposals, budgeting, technical and financial monitoring in the context of grants/restricted funding sources.
- Thorough understanding of interdepartmental relationships, dynamics and functioning in an overseas programme setting
- Commitment to the aims and principles of Save the Children
- Ability to translate complex, technical and financial issues into a language understandable by non-finance staff
- Willingness to travel to field offices and work in difficult environment from time to time
- Ability to work within a multicultural and multi-religious settings
- Experience of Save the Children financial accounting packages, policies, systems and procedures.
- International experience preferably gained within an INGO in a relief/emergency setting
- Experience or knowledge of working in the region or country programmes
- Proven experience in grants auditing especially of USAID grant audits.
Method of Application
To apply, visit Save The Children Career Page
Note: Candidate should kindly state their prefered location clearly in their applications
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale