Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries, including the United States. We aim to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children, and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives by improving their health, education and economic opportunities. In times of acute crisis, we mobilize rapid assistance to help children recover from the effects of war, conflict and natural disasters. Each year, we and our partners reach millions of children in communities around the world. Join our dedicated and diverse staff in their work to improve the well-being of children everywhere.
- The position of Campaign and Community Mobilization (CCM) Coordinator under the SDI project will support the implementation of activities to raise awareness, reinforce knowledge and improve practices among community members on diarrhoea prevention and control, encourage two-way dialogue to enable communities to create an enabling environment for improved family and community practices; address unhealthy social norms; and employ best practices in community mobilization and BCC.
- A comprehensive approach using a variety of delivery mechanisms will be implemented to create demand for services. We will build on the existing community structures, enhance their capacity and ensure we reach the most marginalized communities.
- The preferred candidate will support effort at strengthening the capacity of specific community structures, government institutions in coordination with other peer organizations to ensure the sustenance of the SDI intervention under the guidance of SDI BCC Adviser.
Scope of Role
- Reports to: BCC Adviser;
- Staff directly reporting to this post: None
- Budget responsibility: No
Key Areas of Accountability
- Under the direct supervision of the BCC Adviser, support;
- Effective and timely implementation of all campaign and community mobilization interventions, demand creation effort and any other related and cross cutting programme activities as directed by the BCC Adviser.
- Make technical input into the planning and design of project specific operational researches, including baseline and end line evaluation related Campaign and Community Mobilization activities under the SDI signature project
- Work closely with State/LGA authorities to ensure all CCM/BCC interventions deployed in the communities, facilities and schools alignment with the 7 point plan aimed at the prevention and management of diarrhoea.
- Work together with other staff/ to ensure that key trainings meets the standard required to facilitate provide knowledge and reinforcement of desired behaviour and practices as it relates behaviour and attitude influences the incidence and diarrhoea.
- Be able to systemically review DIP/budget and other key implementation tools with the hope of initiating innovative approaches that will open new frontiers for learning on the 7 point plan.
- Coordinate/Support designated community structures under the SDI project responsible for series of community mobilization and campaign effort.
Technical and Advisory Support:
- Provide technical support and timely feedback to State, LGA and Community teams on Community mobilization strategies outlined in the signature project.
- Support M&E of community mobilization and BCC activities in coordination with relevant stakeholders.
- Build capacity of field staff, partners and government personnel on demand creation interventions and practice.
- Identify other opportunities in an ongoing manner that will add value to the overarching strategy of the signature project.
- Track and prepare monthly, quarterly, bi-annual and annual progress reports of activities relates to Campaign, Community Mobilization and BCC KPIs/indicators; including documentation of key lessons learnt and successes stories.
- Support the development and distribution of publications for peer-reviewed journals.
Planning, Documentation and Budgeting:
- Develop activity plans and budgets for technical support activities related to CCM.
- Participate in the preparation of overall work plan and budget for CCM activities programme in Lagos State
- Collaborate with relevant ministries and other relevant partners at the state, local government and community levels to ensure integration and high level implementation of all CCM activities on the signature project.
- Participate in developing different levels of progress report and supporting PQA on CCM interventions.
Representation and Relationships:
- Actively participate in State/LGA level technical working groups on CCM and demand creation activities relevant to policy forums.
- Actively contribute to national policies/strategies on CCM/BCC.
- Support advocacy colleagues with technical messaging on CCM, external reports and publications.
- Work closely with other thematic teams in Nigeria Country office and the Lagos State offices in support of SDI signature project.
- Ensure the maintenance of healthy partnerships with relevant government counterparts and other partners at Federal, State, Local government level in the community in the management of CCM and related demand creation interventions.
- Other - Other ad hoc tasks as requested by Line Manager.
Skills and Behaviours (Our Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically
Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external
- Partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
Skills, Experience and Education
- A development worker with postgraduate qualification in communications, journalism, public health, sociology or related discipline with at least 5 years progressive experience in campaign/community mobilization and BCC programming will be giving priority consideration.
- Essential: basic training in BCC, demand creation, communication/journalism.
- Essential: at least 3 years programming experience with I/NGO in Nigeria
- Essential: Good writer, very good understanding of community mobilization/BCC policies, strategies, programmes and stakeholders in Nigeria
- Essential: Demonstrable management experience and very good understanding of child survival issues, school health and common childhood illnesses in Nigeria
- Essential: very good understanding of safe water and hygiene practice in Nigeria will be added advantage.
- Desirable: Experience in community based interventions in Nigeria
- Desirable: Master trainer and good facilitator.
- Desirable: analytical & research skills, experience in conducting health systems research, ability to analyse data using SPSS/ EPInfo/ STATA etc
- Work experience in health/public health and or in a health/public health organisation, including as a trainer.
- Experience with providing institutional support and technical assistance to development partners, government/community institutions
- Ability to work effectively both independently (with minimal supervision) and as a member of a team
- Commitment to gender equity, child rights, community empowerment, and grassroots development approaches
- Effective planning and organising skills
- Effective interpersonal skills - oral and written communication skills
Method of Application
To apply, visit Save The Children Career Page
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale