Médecins Sans Frontières is a private, non-profit international humanitarian organization dedicated to providing medical assistance to populations in crisis, without discrimination and regardless of race, religion, creed or political affiliation.
- Respect patient confidentiality and maintain privacy at all times
- Ensure all equipment are available and in good working condition using the checklist provided in ICU
- Maintain ward hygiene and patient hygiene as well
- Proper admission of patient and maintain vital signs, record and call report any danger signs noted.
- Provide nursing care to the patients in intensive care Unit throughout their admission in accordance with MSF standards and protocols
- Adhere to work schedule as per roster and on-call requirements (flexibility!)
- Treat all patients and their family members with respect
- Ensure Management of ABC- airway, breathing and circulation.
- Ensure safe transfer of patient from trolley or wheelchair to ICU bed.
- Take handover from Anesthetist and receive instructions.
- Ensure all IV, catheter and drain tubing securely attached and not kinked or pulled during transfer to ICU bed
- If patient unconscious, must be lying in recovery position (on her side) until awake
- Hang IV bags and urinary bags accordingly
- Place monitor: (a)Oxygen via mask if required; (b) SaO2% probe on finger; (c)BP cuff on arm
- Blood pressure, pulse, temperature, Sao2 and respiration to be take and recorded at 15 minute interval the first hour. If stable then take every half hour.
- Check and recorded urinary output on arrival in recovery and at least hourly during recovery period note colour of urine.
- Maintain all input and output chart
- Ensure earlier ambulation of patient following surgery where necessary
- Ensure passive and active exercise to all postoperative patient
- Check wound for ooze on arrival and regularly during recovery period and document on recovery chart.
- Check bleeding from vagina in all obstetric cases at hourly interval for the first three hours, if stable then two hourly.
- Be aware of parameters for all observations.
- Proper post -operative management of patient and recovery. notify doctor of any concern including if observation are not normal
- Collecting/disposing of material
- Putting needles and sharps in safety box.
- Check linen for sharps and instruments before discarding into linen containers
- Ensure cleaning completed before next patient and at end of day.
- Know procedure to follow if accidental blood exposure.
- Provide oral toilet, bed bathing, and pressure area care, daily to the patient admitted into ICU where necessary.
- Keep working area in a tidy area in tidy state.
- Apply waste management protocols correctly (use bin system correct)
Training and Management
- Assist with training of new staff
- Participate in formation of new protocols
- Attend and participates in training sessions
- Attend regular ICU meetings.
- Update own knowledge and identify areas requiring training.
- Participate in regular self-evaluations.
- Assist with the collection of appropriate data if required.
- Check function of ICU equipment and supplies.
- Inform ICU supervisor if defect or broken.
- Replace/fill used medication and supplies at end of your shift.
- Ensure cleaning standards maintained.
- Evaluation of needs
- Ensure that sufficient and appropriate materials are available at all times for required tasks. Notify the ICU supervisor for any shortage
- Maintain up to date skills and knowledge through attendance at internal trainings and me
- Ensure all drugs, material and equipment are available at the beginning and end of the shift
- Register all admission in and exist from the unit
- Participate in collection of data
- Keep all register clean and updated
- Document all care rendered to the patient
- Ensures that registers, charts and logs are in good condition
Required Skills and Conditions
- Nigerian Registered Nursing Qualification with a minimum of 1 -2 years of post-qualification experienced.
- Fluency in spoken and written English and Hausa language
- Strong work ethic: punctuality, responsibility and flexibility
- Respect the work as a team member
- High level of motivation including capacity to initiate and to learn
Experience and Skills Required
- Previous experience in a similar position
- Jahun MSF Base and General Hospital, Jigawa State (Nigeria).
- 208 working hours per month and roster flexibility required.
Method of Application
Submit your CV, copies of diplomas, qualifications and a cover letter with contact details to the MSF Admin’ Office in Jahun (“Application Box” at the Watchmen Desk).
Applications can be submitted in person or by email to: email@example.com
Deadline for the submission of applications: 10th July 2016.
Please make sure to submit your application on or before this date.
NB: only successful applicants will be called for interview.
Notice: No monetary transactions, neither demands of favours in kind, nor other types of favouritism will be tolerated in the recruitment process.
MSF reserves the right to refuse hiring of a candidate having benefitted from such acts. All illicit demands of these types may be pursued through the judicial system.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.