Médecins Sans Frontières is a private, non-profit international humanitarian organization dedicated to providing medical assistance to populations in crisis, without discrimination and regardless of race, religion, creed or political affiliation.
- Respect patient confidentiality and maintain privacy at all times
- Ensure all equipment are available and in good working condition using the checklist provided in ICU
- Maintain ward hygiene and patient hygiene as well
- Proper admission of patient and maintain vital signs, record and call report any danger signs noted.
- Provide nursing care to the patients in intensive care Unit throughout their admission in accordance with MSF standards and protocols
- Adhere to work schedule as per roster and on-call requirements (flexibility!)
- Treat all patients and their family members with respect
- Ensure Management of ABC- airway, breathing and circulation.
- Ensure safe transfer of patient from trolley or wheelchair to ICU bed.
- Take handover from Anesthetist and receive instructions.
- Ensure all IV, catheter and drain tubing securely attached and not kinked or pulled during transfer to ICU bed
- If patient unconscious, must be lying in recovery position (on her side) until awake
- Hang IV bags and urinary bags accordingly
- Place monitor: (a)Oxygen via mask if required; (b) SaO2% probe on finger; (c)BP cuff on arm
- Blood pressure, pulse, temperature, Sao2 and respiration to be take and recorded at 15 minute interval the first hour. If stable then take every half hour.
- Check and recorded urinary output on arrival in recovery and at least hourly during recovery period note colour of urine.
- Maintain all input and output chart
- Ensure earlier ambulation of patient following surgery where necessary
- Ensure passive and active exercise to all postoperative patient
- Check wound for ooze on arrival and regularly during recovery period and document on recovery chart.
- Check bleeding from vagina in all obstetric cases at hourly interval for the first three hours, if stable then two hourly.
- Be aware of parameters for all observations.
- Proper post -operative management of patient and recovery. notify doctor of any concern including if observation are not normal
- Collecting/disposing of material
- Putting needles and sharps in safety box.
- Check linen for sharps and instruments before discarding into linen containers
- Ensure cleaning completed before next patient and at end of day.
- Know procedure to follow if accidental blood exposure.
- Provide oral toilet, bed bathing, and pressure area care, daily to the patient admitted into ICU where necessary.
- Keep working area in a tidy area in tidy state.
- Apply waste management protocols correctly (use bin system correct)
Training and Management
- Assist with training of new staff
- Participate in formation of new protocols
- Attend and participates in training sessions
- Attend regular ICU meetings.
- Update own knowledge and identify areas requiring training.
- Participate in regular self-evaluations.
- Assist with the collection of appropriate data if required.
- Check function of ICU equipment and supplies.
- Inform ICU supervisor if defect or broken.
- Replace/fill used medication and supplies at end of your shift.
- Ensure cleaning standards maintained.
- Evaluation of needs
- Ensure that sufficient and appropriate materials are available at all times for required tasks. Notify the ICU supervisor for any shortage
- Maintain up to date skills and knowledge through attendance at internal trainings and me
- Ensure all drugs, material and equipment are available at the beginning and end of the shift
- Register all admission in and exist from the unit
- Participate in collection of data
- Keep all register clean and updated
- Document all care rendered to the patient
- Ensures that registers, charts and logs are in good condition
Required Skills and Conditions
- Nigerian Registered Nursing Qualification with a minimum of 1 -2 years of post-qualification experienced.
- Fluency in spoken and written English and Hausa language
- Strong work ethic: punctuality, responsibility and flexibility
- Respect the work as a team member
- High level of motivation including capacity to initiate and to learn
Experience and Skills Required
- Previous experience in a similar position
- Jahun MSF Base and General Hospital, Jigawa State (Nigeria).
- 208 working hours per month and roster flexibility required.
Method of Application
Submit your CV, copies of diplomas, qualifications and a cover letter with contact details to the MSF Admin’ Office in Jahun (“Application Box” at the Watchmen Desk).
Applications can be submitted in person or by email to: email@example.com
Deadline for the submission of applications: 10th July 2016.
Please make sure to submit your application on or before this date.
NB: only successful applicants will be called for interview.
Notice: No monetary transactions, neither demands of favours in kind, nor other types of favouritism will be tolerated in the recruitment process.
MSF reserves the right to refuse hiring of a candidate having benefitted from such acts. All illicit demands of these types may be pursued through the judicial system.