Catholic Relief Services is the official agency of the United States Catholic Conference of Bishops for relief and development assistance overseas .
Job Title: Emergency Program Manager
Reports To: Head of Programs
Length of Position: 6 months (with possibility of extension)
Much of Nigeria has been affected by heavy rainfall in July. August and early September causing severe flooding in many states of the country-
the worst in 50 years leading to loss of lives and properties, destruction of road networks. submerging of houses. displacement of households, loss of livelihoods, destruction of the bio-diversity, and many others.
According to the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA). 28 out of the 36 stales of the Federation have been affected by unprecedented floods between July and September and 363 people reported death and 2.1 million people have been displaced. The displaced persons are being accommodated with relatives and friends or in informal worship centers. public places and schools. In some Instance original camps have been flooded and people forced to settle In new camps. Camps are overcrowded and family resources are overstretched. The population living in these camps is mainly composed of women. and children.
In the affected communities. the main sources of~potable water. wells. ponds. borehole. have been submerged. In other places, ponds. wells and boreholes have been contaminated by floodwaters. The flooding has submerged farmlands and fish farms in all the affected states. The food security situation is classified as severe to very severe for most of the affected population and they have exhausted their resources to buy food. There are severe Shortages of potable water. food. medicines and basic household living utensils as many families lost all they have in the floods.
CRS has been in Nigeria since 2001 working in over 20 states in health. HIV. agriculture. peace building. governance and emergency response. CRS works closely with the Catholic Church structures. especially the Catholic Caritas Foundation of Nigeria (CCFN). to respond to emergencies. CRS will be support CCFN's response to the flood with technical support over at least the next six months to meet the immediate needs of those affected and develop plans for recovery and rehabilitation.
The Emergency Program Manager will work. closely with CCFN to support assessments. project design, and support program implementation with technical assistance. The Emergency PM will serve as the focal point for all CRS regional and headquarters technical assistance and assist in securing funding to expand the response.
PROJECT DEVELOPMENT AND MANAGEMENT
MONITORING AND EVALUATION
NETWORKING & COORDINATION
Internal: Head of Programming. Grants and Compliance Manager. Country Representative and Deputy
External: CRS/Nigeria's current & potential partners; donor representatives; other NGOs and relevant
- Graduate with a bachelors degree on Social Science. Environmental Science. Social Development, Community Development. Disaster Management or any 4 year related courses, post graduate studies is an advantage.
- Minimum five years experience working with NGO's, the Church, or government agencies in planning. implementation and conceptualization of Emergency Preparedness.
- Experience and ability to conduct training. accompaniment. and Implementation on a diocese level .
-At least two years experience on managerial level.
- Solid analytical and research skills, both in qualitative/quantitative approaches.
- Experience with developing and using information systems for programme management and learning, including developing mechanisms. forums and processes for facilitating the sharing of lessons and
- Experience and/or exposure on community development in relation to Disaster Risk Reduction and
Emergency Response a plus.
- Knowledge and experience in emergency response in the sectors of WASH and livelihoods a plus.
- Able to relate to Church partners. government officials at regional, provincial and local levels.
Interested applicants should request for application forms and a detailed job description from email@example.com. fill and send back to the same address along with a detailed CV as attached MS Word documents.
Applications should be sent as soon as possible as candidates will be interviewed on rolling bases. Only applications sent in the required format will be considered
"CRS is an equal -opportunity employer and does .not discriminate on the basis of race, color,religion, etc. Qualified women are especially encouraged to apply"