Winrock International is a nonprofit organization that works with people in the United States and around the world to increase economic opportunity, sustain natural resources, and protect the environment. Winrock matches innovative approaches in agriculture, natural resources management, clean energy, and leadership development with the unique needs of its partners. By linking local individuals and communities with new ideas and technology, Winrock is increasing long-term productivity, equity, and responsible resource management to benefit the poor and disadvantaged of the world.
An international development organization is seeking a Director of Off-Grid Renewable Energy Finance in the RE/EE sector for a multi-year development program in Nigeria. The anticipated project is focused on increasing clean energy off-grid connections in Nigeria with a specific focus on improving the capacity of the private sector to finance renewable energy (RE) projects and strengthen the current policy and regulatory environment for public and private sector investment. The Director will oversee a team of RE technical specialists and transaction advisors to develop and execute a pipeline of RE projects in country that increase the number of clean energy connections, primarily through the off-grid solar market. It is expected that the Director will work with a number of stakeholders, including financial institutions, RE and EE firms, agribusinesses and health care facilities, universities and vocational institutes, government, and other international donor funded projects. Position is contingent upon receipt of donor funding.
The Director will oversee the increased participation of companies serving the off-grid solar market in collaboration with other international donor funded projects. The Director will be responsible for a minimum investment of 65 MW of off-grid power, and 2.7 million direct new connections facilitated by 2022 through private sector investment.
The Director will be responsible for:
* Development of a methodical outreach and implementation strategy to achieve a minimum private sector investment of 65MW of off-grid power and 2.7 million new direction connections by 2022
* Identify and interact directly with relevant local RE companies, project developers, financial institutions, other donor funded projects, relevant GoN ministries and institutions, banks, community members, to support them to implement RE projects
* Identifying and engaging possible candidates for RE bank loans, develop an extensive pipeline of viable RE projects, and work with them to achieve financial closure.
* Work with financial institutions to help facilitation client targeting for RE project development, and support the loan process by helping to troubleshoot and overcome barriers to financing
* Oversee technical staff, including financial transaction advisors, solar PV technicians, and consultants
* Drafting and reviewing technical reports and concept notes
* Represent the Project at different stockholder meetings and increase awareness of the RE sector as well as larger program activities.
* Other duties, as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS AND BACKGROUND:
A successful candidate will have demonstrated West Africa experience developing and executing a pipeline of off-grid RE Projects. The Candidate must have direct experience working with RE project developers and financial institutions to develop a robust pipeline that is responsive to local market needs and conditions. Candidate must have demonstrated experience closing RE deals using local private sector financing mechanisms in the Africa. Basic understanding of RE technologies and project valuation is required. Experience working with a variety of international donor funded projects is a plus.
Education: MBA or Master’s Degree in Business, Finance, Economics, Environment, Engineering or other related field is required.
Experience: Minimum 10 years of professional experience with in renewable energy and project development. Demonstrated understanding of renewable energy technologies and financing, and related experience in policy, and capacity building.
Skills & Knowledge:
* Experience building RE pipelines and overseeing pipeline execution is required.
* Experience with USAID and/or other international program management will be an added advantage.
* High information technology literacy
* Strong interpersonal, written and oral communication skills.
Other: Professional Qualifications and certifications are desirable.
To applyy, visit Winrock Career Page