Non-profit New Incentives is looking to recruit a Human Resources and Quality Officer to expand its team dedicated to preventing mother-to-child transmission of HIV (PMTCT) and maternal and newborn mortality in Nigeria.
The Human Resources and Quality Officer will support New Incentives’ expanding program that utilizes cash transfers to encourage HIV-positive and at-risk pregnant women to seek treatment at public clinics. The primary duties in the role will be to recruit, onboard, and train new staff as well as conduct reviews at New Incentives’ headquarters in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State. This will be preceded by 1-2 months of working as a Field Officer, enrolling women into the cash transfer program at select health facilities in Akwa Ibom.
The Human Resources and Quality Officer will be based in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State. This position will be available as of July 2016. The position may require travel to other Nigerian states where New Incentives is operational.
Over the past years, Nigeria has considerably expanded the availability of health services for pregnant women. Despite this progress on the supply-side, demand from at-risk pregnant women remains low. New Incentives encourages these women to deliver their babies in a health facility with cash transfers and thereby ensures their babies are born safely. Women are given the cash transfers after they complete different stages of maternal health services. This massively increases the children’s chance of survival in the first few days of their life.
- Screening new staff members during the recruitment process and assisting them during onboarding
- Training new staff members on New Incentives’ cash transfer program – at a theoretical level and also in-practice at clinics/ program sites
- Managing the logistics of the two-week training program for new staff members in Uyo
- Other quality-related tasks include reviews of enrollment and clinic data
- Additional tasks and/or special projections critical for operations at the New Incentives headquarters
- Potentially continue to work as Field Officer for one day per week
The Human Resources and Quality Officer will work as a normal Field Officer in the first 1-2 months to effectively learn all about the program and its success factors. This includes:
- Enrolling at-risk pregnant women to the cash transfer program at select clinics in Akwa Ibom State
- Interviewing potential beneficiaries to verify whether they meet all requirements and entering this information into a database using mobile applications
- Verifying multiple data sources to ensure potential beneficiaries are eligible to participate in the program
- Fluency in Pidgin mandatory. Fluency in Ibibio/Efik strongly preferred. Fluency in Igbo or Hausa an asset. (Please state the names of the dialects you can speak and your fluency level for each dialect in your cover letter. e.g. Beginner / Advanced / Fluent)
- Nigerian national willing to live in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State and travel when needed. The organization does not provide additional incentives for travel. All costs related to travel are covered by the organization.
- Minimum of Bachelor degree, preferably in the field of health or other natural sciences
- Experience with the Nigerian health system and clinic documentation, particularly related to maternal health, HIV/AIDS and/or PMTCT, required
- Prior experience in human resources, training and quality management (e.g. Monitoring & Evaluation) preferred
- Prior work experience at a fast growing organization (startup) strongly preferred
- Self-starter attitude that takes on responsibility and manages issues proactively
- Ability to motivate colleagues and teach them about values and work-flows
- Experience in collecting, synthesizing and drawing conclusions from (health) data desirable
- Skilled in negotiation and careful attention to financial matters
- Detail-oriented, diligent professional
- Aptitude to deal with difficult emotional situations
- Passion to help others, prevent mother-to-child HIV transmission, and reduce maternal and infant mortality
- Very good communications and writing skills, English and dialects (verbal and written)
- Excellent responsiveness to email and phone requests
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word/Excel, internet browsers, smartphones and new communications technology in general
- Hard-working, result-oriented and loyal
- Motivation to work in a young organization that is constantly changing based on stakeholder feedback and operates with a lean structure
- Openness to stepping in whenever needed and fulfilling requests from superiors
Method of Application
Applications are accepted only online through Breezy HR and must include all mentioned attachments (CV and Letter of Motivation).
The selection process for this position is competitive. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Candidates short-listed based on their online applications will have to undergo a series of interviews and a short test that allow for the identification of the most qualified person in a transparent and meritocratic manner.
For questions please reach out to email@example.com with the subject line ‘Human Resources and Quality Officer’.
To apply, click on "Apply to Position". Please do NOT submit applications by email.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.