Concern Universal (CU) is an international development organisation that has been working through local partners and tackling poverty since 1976. We strive to Prove and improve every project to maximise value for money and ensure sustainability Our Theory of Change helps US to check that we are not only doing things right, but also whether we are doing the right things as we work to challenge poverty and inequality. We have three main aims focusing on achieving resilient lives and attaining better health while upholding the rights of individuals and people.
In Nigeria, we are improving the quality of health by increasing access to basic services including access to safe water, increased sanitation, and improved hygiene practices. We focus on Better Health because without health there can be no development. Good primary healthcare starts with the basics of access to clean water and sanitation.
Location: Calabar, Nigeria, with occasional travel to Abuja and field offices
Reporting to: Country Director
Contract type: A permanent contract subject to 6 month probationary appraisal
- Concern Universal is an international NGO that works to sustainably reduce poverty and improve the lives of some of the world's poorest communities. Established in 1976, the organisation has eight country programmes in Africa, Asia & South America.
- In Nigeria, Concern Universal has been working for over a decade with local partners and rural communities in the country’s South East. We manage projects funded by major international donors that aim to address gender inequalities and rights abuses, improve sanitation and access to water, foster accountability, develop livelihoods and preserve environments.
- Concern Universal is presently working in the health sector, focusing on expanding its Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) programming, applying the Community-led Total Sanitation (CLTS) approach and providing safe water. The Country Programme also conducts considerable advocacy work, organisational learning and research. We are also actively seeking opportunities to develop resilience interventions, gender empowerment, and peacebuilding programming.
- The purpose of this post is to support the Country Director in reporting to donors, sharing and promoting project impacts, identifying funding opportunities and submitting grant applications, and communicating effectively with partners and other stakeholders.
- The post holder will liaise with other Concern Universal country programmes/offices and the UK Office to ensure effective communication.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Communicate and coordinate work relating to donor funding within the Nigeria programme
- Advise and support Project Managers on donor guidelines and contractual obligations, particularly on reporting, co-funding, procurement and visibility requirements
- Develop and maintain a database of donors and related funding opportunities that respond to the needs of the Country Programme
- Work with Project Managers to ensure a coordinated approach to donor grant management, including support on donor funding guidelines and application processes
- Develop clear and achievable short and long-term funding strategies for each project area and monitor Nigeria-specific funding opportunities
- Communicate wider funding opportunities to other Country Programmes
- Assist the Country Director in building donor relations, including attending meetings and identifying opportunities for closer coordination and communication
- Developing strategic communications and advocacy content, including case studies, photos, and videos for brochures, posters and social media
- Co-ordinate and maintain the monthly Project Status Summary Report and Project Summaries for the UK Head Office
- Build capacity of staff in project reporting, presentation, and case study development
- Contribute to organisational decisions and other tasks agreed with the Country Director
- This is a pivotal position with that is mainly office-based but with opportunities for in-country travel and exposure to field work. The ideal candidate is well-organised, motivated and methodical with a strong understanding of development issues and the passion to make a difference.
- BA/B.Sc in International Development (or other relevant subject);
- 2 years’ experience in a relevant field/position;
- Excellent proposal/report writing & faultless attention to detail;
- Proven experience in proposal writing and understanding of project budgets;
- Strong IT, communication & problem solving skills;
- Good interpersonal skills with a patient, flexible & responsive disposition;
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and manage multiple priorities with minimal supervision.
- MA/M.Sc in International Development (or other relevant subject);
- Experience in international NGO/donor sector;
- Record of published writing in print or online;
- Proven experience in grant and donor contract administration and management;
- Experience in strategic communications and advocacy in an INGO/donor organization;
- Experience of training others; and
- Demonstrated skills in graphic design, photography, photo editing, video editing, or publishing software
- A commitment of at least 12 - 18 months to the role
- An interest and experience in communication (journalism and graphic design will be an asset;
- Skills and experience in social media will be an asset; and
- Knowledge and experience of organisation learning will be an asset.
What We Offer
- This position offers the right candidate the opportunity to gain meaningful overseas experience with an international NGO. Above all, we offer a respectful and empowering working environment and the opportunity to make a real impact.
Terms and Conditions
Salary: £5,000 (Grade 1a Salary Scale)
Benefits: Local living allowance, annual return flights to home country, secure accommodation, comprehensive insurance and 25 days annual leave.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should download application form here. Send the completed applcation forms to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: Shortlisted candidates will be contacted by the end of July for initial telephone interviews. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.