Search for Common Ground (SFCG) is an international non-profit organization that promotes peaceful resolution of conflict. With headquarters in Washington, DC and a European office in Brussels, Belgium, SFCG's mission is to transform how individuals, organizations, and governments deal with conflict away from adversarial approaches and toward cooperative solutions.
SFCG seeks to help conflicting parties understand their differences and act on their commonalities. With a total of approximately 600 staff worldwide, SFCG implements projects from 50 offices in 35 countries, including in Africa, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, and the United States.
The organization is an exciting and rewarding place to work, with a dedicated and enthusiastic staff that is committed to its mission and values. You will be joining a highly motivated staff with a good team spirit and there will be opportunities to grow in the role.
Summary of Position
- The Human Resource (HR) and Administration (Admin) Manager will lead the HR & Admin department and carry out all the strategic and functional responsibilities for the human resources and administration, including security and IT.
- S/he is responsible to ensure organizational effectiveness by providing leadership for the organization's human resource and administration functions. S/he will serve as a member of the Leadership and Management Team (LMT).
- S/he will work under the direct supervision of the Country Director and in close coordination with the Finance Manager. S/he will directly supervise the Admin and Logistics Coordinator. The position will be based in Abuja and will include some travel to the field.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Identify gaps in HR policies, develop and revise the organization's Human Resource Policy and employee handbook on an annual basis, in consultation with the LMT;
- Carry out periodic salary and benefits survey, and provide recommendation to the LMT for periodic review of salary and benefit packages;
- Oversee organizational benefits and insurance policies;
- Identify ways to attract and maintain talent within SFCG;
- Manage recruitment processes – develop and manage best practice interviewing and recruitment processes;
- Develop and manage new staff orientation and onboarding, and ongoing staff capacity development;
- Maintain HR files for compliance, confidentiality and auditability, manage scheduling of contract renewals, extensions and terminations;
- Prepare job description and terms of reference in coordination with the respective line managers;
- Manage all consultant contracts and service contracts;
- Manage employee relations and performance evaluation process of staff;
- Manage staff departure, and exit interviews;
- Hold the office culture to ensure common ground management approach;
- Ensure existence of confidential mechanism for staff feedback, official complaints, and whistle blowing; and
- Serve as employee satisfaction and grievance focal point manage staff growth, grievances, internal conflicts, or complaints, identify potential conflicts, mediate or recommend ways to resolve in a timely manner.
- Identify gaps in admin and operational policies, develop and revise the organization's administration and operations policy on an annual basis, as per LMT decisions;
- Strengthen administrative systems identify gaps, weaknesses and issues and recommend and implement solutions;
- Provide oversight and supervision to admin, operations and IT staff to ensure smooth functioning of office administration, including office running and maintenance;
- Oversee the logistics management and travel support to the program staff and other staff members;
- Manage the allocation of office space and oversee facilities management;
- Manage the procurement process, and ensure necessary documentation of procurement processes for goods and services;
- Oversee distribution of resources and maintenance of inventory;
- Create, manage and monitor workflow and systems for administrative compliance;
- Ensure auditability in terms of administrative compliance with regards to the organization and its projects;
- Manage international visitors, ensure their logistics and brief them on security protocols;
- Serve as the security focal point create, communicate and monitor organizational security policy;
- Maintain a safe and secure work environment, ensure safety and security of staff and the central office in Abuja and field offices in Jos and Maiduguri;
- Oversee and ensure smooth running of IT systems and infrastructures, which support the connectivity needs of the organization;
- Put in place systems for data protection;
- Serve as a Secretary of the LMT - collect and communicate agenda, take and maintain LMT minutes and records, follow up on action points, and ensure that LMT decisions are communicated on a timely basis;
- Support in partners' assessment and capacity building in admin and HR functions;
- Maintain external relationship with related government authority;
- Coordinate with related authorities for organization’s registration and agreements renewal;
- Support in proposal and donor report processes by ensuring administrative requirements and compliance; and
- As job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, the position holder may be required to undertake other duties that are broadly in line with the above key duties.
- Master's degree in Human Resource Management, Administration, Organizational Development and Management, or other relevant discipline;
- At least 5 years of professional experience in human resource management, administration and operations, preferably with at least 1-2 years in a non-profit and international organization;
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and coaching skills;
- Specialized knowledge and experience in employment law, organizational planning, organization development, employee relations, and creating and maintaining training programs of such;
- Strong knowledge of domestic and international benefit and compensation practices, laws and regulations;
- Proven experience developing and designing policies and procedures;
- Diplomatic and poised in approach using solid skills to manage sensitive and confidential information and matters; ability to hear multiple sides of a story and come to win-win resolutions;
- Excellent people manager, open to direction and collaborative work style and commitment to get the job done;
- A demonstrated commitment to high professional ethical standards and a diverse workplace; and
- Ability to prioritize, plan and organize workflow to tight timeframes, handle multiple tasks, and be flexible with changing priorities.
- PHR, SPHR, and/or CEBS, or other relevant certifications a plus; and
- Active affiliation with appropriate Human Resources networks and organizations, preferred.
Method of Application
To apply, visit SFCG Career Page
Candidate should send their Curriculum Vitae and cover letter through our Application System. The cover letter must address how your experience and qualifications fits the requirements; state your expected salary and available start date.
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.