The International Finance Corporation (IFC), the private sector arm of the World Bank Group, is a global investor and advisor committed to promoting projects in its developing member countries that are economically beneficial, financially and commercially sound, and environmentally and socially sustainable. IFC finances private sector investments, mobilizes capital in the international financial markets, helps clients improve social and environmental sustainability, and provides technical assistance and advice to governments and businesses in the developing world.
Background / General Description
- The Financial Institution Group (FIG) is one of IFC’s key Departments responsible for a significant portion of IFC’s business volume, profitability and development reach, approximately 40%. FIG engages in a wide range of sub-sectors including Microfinance, SME, Gender, Climate, Insurance, Capital Markets, Housing, Distressed Assets, and other areas, with both investment and advisory services delivered globally to IFC’s clients through IFC’s global network. FIG has three main objectives: 1.) Financial inclusion 2.) Servicing the real economy and 3.) Mobilizing third-party resources.
- The Sub-Saharan African (CAF) division of FIG is looking for an Investment Analyst to be based in its Lagos office.
Duties and Accountabilities
- The Investment Analyst will be integrated with the teams of staff that develop new business, complete transactions, and supervise a portfolio of loans, quasi-equity and equity investments in Africa.
- The candidate is required to know and effectively use fundamental business concepts and practices and to provide analytical, research and other professional support to professional level Investment Officers, The work program is varied and may be somewhat complex requiring evaluation, original thinking and various written outputs.
The responsibilities include but will not be limited to:
- Create financial analysis models;
- Support structuring of new investments;
- Analyze historical and projected financial statements and prepare periodic portfolio reports;
- Conduct industry and market research and assist in IFC’s business development efforts;
- Monitor operational and financial performance of client companies to evaluate risk and recommend active portfolio management actions;
- Prepare documentation for IFC internal processes and monitor compliance with IFC financial, environmental and legal requirements;
- Establish and maintain quality client relationships to ensure responsive client service and to enhance new business opportunities;
- Participate in investments negotiations;
- Liaise with colleagues across departments and the region and at the head office in Washington DC.
- Participate in the monitoring of investments in portfolio companies.
- Bachelor’s or equivalent degree with specialization in finance;
- At least 2-4 years of experience in finance, banking, portfolio management or consulting
- Experience in a major financial institution (2+ years) with a proven track record strongly desirable;
- Good knowledge of financial markets and one or more African financial markets a plus;
- Strong financial analysis and modelling skills using Microsoft excel and ability to identify key issues;
- Sound numerical, analytical and conceptual skills encompassing finance and the associated areas of investment, portfolio management and corporate finance and economics;
- Commitment to economic development and keen interest in development finance in emerging markets;
- Ability to work successfully in multicultural teams and across boundaries;
- Demonstrated teamwork skills;
- Strong client service orientation with an openness to feedback and new ideas;
- Excellent presentation skills and ability to present ideas clearly and confidently;
- Fluency in English. French is an added advantage.
Method of Application
To apply, visit IFC Career Page
Note: If the selected candidate is a current Bank Group staff member with a Regular or Open-Ended appointment, s/he will retain his/her Regular or Open-Ended appointment. All others will be offered a 2 year term appointment.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.