International Rescue Committee - Founded in 1933, the International Rescue Committee is a prominent international organization working in relief, rehabilitation, protection, post-conflict development, resettlement services and advocacy for those uprooted or affected by violent conflict and oppression.
Sector: Program Management
Employee Category: Full Time
Reports to: The Deputy Director of Operations with occasional travel to Damatru in Yobe State.
Scope of Work
- The Field Coordinator (FC) leads IRCs response in the Maiduguri and Damatru Field Sites and is responsible for overall field coordination, program support, and field office management working in collaboration with Sector Coordinators, DDP, Finance Controller, Senior HR Manager, Senior Supply Chain Manager, DDP and CD.
- As the IRC’s most senior representative in the field, the Field Coordinator must bring a senior leadership profile with a proven track record in managing emergency programing.
- The successful candidate will be confident eloquent and organized, able to represent IRC to partners including beneficiaries and donors as well as handle sensitive, complex issues in a diplomatic way that puts the needs of beneficiaries first.
Field Operational Management:
- Coordinate all operational functions in the Maiduguri office to ensure overall management of Maiduguri-based operational support team.
- Ensure operational support for program teams and coordinate with sector coordinators and managers for effective implementation of all project activities.
- Ensure health, safety and security protocols are followed at all times, and take corrective, timely actions as required and in consultation with the DDO and other SMT members
- Review IRC security plans on a regular basis and ensure they are up to date at all times.
- Support budget holders in review of budget vs. actual reports with operations staff and ensure appropriate action is taken in a timely fashion.
- Support and coordinate with Maiduguri-based operations team as well as Abuja all aspects of supply chain support, including procurement, stock management, asset management, vehicle and equipment renewal, maintenance and repair (including communications and computer equipment).
- Oversee under the auspices of the Finance Controller and DDO the financial management of field office operations, and finance/logistics staff, including cash management and transactions, operational budget.
- Ensure complete and correct use of all finance forms and timely communication of financial issues to the financial controller.
- Ensure compliance with IRC and donor finance and logistics policies, including all aspects of procurement and asset management.
- Guarantee adequate communication and coordination between field locations, technical coordination staff and country office on daily activities as well as program and operational issues.
- Support emergency needs assessments and emergency program implementation in response to the developing humanitarian situation.
- Together with program and grant staff, develop programs and proposals for rapid and timely support of populations affected by conflict.
- Participate in the finalization of the strategic action plan (SAP) for IRC Nigeria Country Office (CO)
- Develop a Maiduguri -focused operations plan to support the program activities and the scale up programming once SAP is validated and operational
HR and Staff Development:
- Ensure the ongoing capacity building of operations team (SC, HR, Admin, IT & Security) through support to direct supervisors in ensuring staff performance evaluations and individual development plans
- Ensure appropriate support to the team through regular IDP site visits and replacement of staff if needed
- Support field staff in the implementation of personnel policies including coaching, performance evaluation, staff development, and disciplinary measures.
Coordination and Representation:
- Support the SPC and program teams to ensure quality implementation of the IRC Nigeria program interventions.
- Represent IRC to UN, international and national NGOs, and attend coordination meetings as needed at the state level.
- Actively develop and maintain effective working relationships with key stakeholders at the state level including donors, government actors, local traditional leadership, beneficiary populations and their representatives, etc
- Establish and maintain networks with UN, INGOs, and local partners to promote strategic partnerships.
- Masters Degree required (Management-related or General Operations preferred);
- Minimum of 5 years experience managing operations and/or projects in developing countries, preferably in Africa;
- Demonstrated ability to manage field staff and remote field offices;
- Experience in logistics, HR/Admin, and security management
- Experience having managed operations (including security) in conflict-impacted setting
- Excellent cross-cultural communication skills
- Excellent staff capacity building and training skills
- Strong problem-solving, analytical and decision-making skills;
- Strong computer skills;
- Flexibility, ability to work independently and meet deadlines
Method of Application
Interested in this position, apply online on Taleo