United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) helps developing countries attract and use aid effectively. In all our activities, we encourage the protection of human rights, capacity development and the empowerment of women.
- The Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Specialist serves as the reference to guide the results-based planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the country programme of cooperation with the government of Nigeria.
- With the increased volume of the programme and staff, and the desire to deliver quality results, the position has increasing responsibilities focusing on fostering and ensuring results based quality programming in compliance with UNFPA policies, procedures and guidelines.
- The position also promotes M&E actions ensuring that they become an integral part of programme development, implementation, monitoring and reporting processes.
- The functions of the M&E position also includes support for programme delivery at the Sub-Office level, in the context of the enhanced but supportive role that the Abuja Office provides to the sub-offices.
- Furthermore, the M&E position in Abuja is the lead position in the field to provide the required backstopping to the State M&E officers in the Sub-offices. It also plays critical role in the various internal and external audits the country office is subjected to, in an effort to ensure quality assurance.
- Under the general supervision of the Representative and direct supervision of the Deputy Representative, the National Programme Specialist-M&E is responsible for developing and guiding the overall M&E plan, Quality Assurance Plan and related activities.
- He provides timely and relevant information to programme managers and other stakeholders for result oriented programme formulation and implementation.
- The National Programme Specialist-M&E provides technical support in the implementation of monitoring and evaluation activities of Implementing Partners and UNFPA Sub-Offices, and provides assistance in M&E capacity building activities of government counterparts.
The Programme Specialist, M & E will work within an integrated, coordinated, and systems strengthening context to perform the following Monitoring and Evaluation tasks:
- Programme Planning and Implementation Including Project Results Framework Development
- Capacity Development and Technical Assistance
- Evidence and Knowledge Development and Dissemination
- Quality Assurance
Duties and Responsibilities
Programme planning and implementation including Project Results Framework Development - Lead the M&E work in the Country Office:
- Promote results based approach to monitoring and evaluation, emphasizing results and impacts
- Work with other program officers to develop proposals for resource mobilization including the development of appropriate frameworks to aid results based management of projects
- Analyse and report on programme progress in terms of achieving results, using existing monitoring and evaluation tools
- Coordinate the preparation of all programme reports; guide staff and implementing partners in the preparation of progress reports in accordance with approved reporting format and ensure timely submission of scheduled reports
- Lead in the preparation of the Country Office Report
- Ensure that all key performance indicators for the Country programme and related projects are collected and reported in a timely manner and discussed in the appropriate forum in terms of implication for future actions
- Prepare draft TORs for Mid-term and final evaluation of projects and country programme in accordance with UNFPA guidelines
- In collaboration with UNFPA programme staff, ensure the collection, analysis and dissemination of results of evaluations at the end of country programmes and ensure lesson learned are incorporated in the next country programme
- In collaboration with executing agencies, backstop the implementation of the overall monitoring and evaluation mechanism of the country programme;
- Participate in UN wide activities including UNDAF theme working group, DMAG
- Participate in monitoring progress of the implementation of the United Nations Development Framework (UNDAF) and Delivering as One (DaO) approach.
Capacity Development and Technical Assistance:
- Organize and provide training in M&E for the programme and implementing partners with a view of developing national and State M&E capacity
- Facilitate and act as resource person and join in, if required, any external supervision and evaluation mission
- Coach other members of the M&E team, direct expert consultants, and facilitate working groups and task teams in order to provide support to Project managers, technical staff and implementing agencies on monitoring and evaluation.
- Work with the programme coordinators in Sub-Offices to ensure programme implementation and achieving expected results as per M&E framework;
- Provide technical support and guidance to Sub-Office M&E staff in preparing periodic reports on the activities, schedule, and financial status of all programme outputs in a standard reporting format as required;
- Contribute to monitoring and analysis of reports on humanitarian, economic, political and social factors in development and management of population and development programmes
- Evidence and Knowledge Development and Dissemination
- Identify innovative evaluation methodologies and promote their incorporation into the Country Office operations
- Substantively contribute to the identification, documentation and dissemination of best practices/lessons learned and ensure their availability in the organizational system for lessons learned
- Contribute to the analysis, synthesis and dissemination of state-of-the-art knowledge and new approaches to monitoring and evaluation practice, in particular best practices, and make recommendations for their adoption at the country and sub-office levels
- Review methodologies, scope of work, technical proposals and consultant qualifications for all evaluations to be contracted under the Country Programme;
- Review, technically assess and provide feedback on all intermediate products and draft evaluation reports to ensure quality;
- Design Quality Assurance Plan for implementation of activities in the field office;
- Foster and ensure results-based quality delivery and compliance with UNFPA policies, procedures and guidelines (quality assurance responsibilities);
- Play a key role in the preparation for all internal and external audits UNFPA Nigeria is subjected to;
- Serve as the technical reference in the field of M&E and provide state-of-art quality assistance to the State M&E staff.
- Follow up and monitor the implementation of key recommendations.
Competencies - Required Competencies
- Exemplifying integrity
- Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system
- Embracing cultural diversity
- Embracing change
- Achieving results
- Being accountable
- Developing and applying professional expertise/business acumen
- Thinking analytically and strategically
- Working in teams/managing ourselves and our relationships
- Communicating for impact
- Strategically positioning UNFPA programmes
- Providing conceptual innovation to support programme effectiveness
- Generating, managing and promoting the use of knowledge and information
- Providing a technical support system
- Strengthening the programming capacity of implementing partners
- Facilitating quality programmatic results
- Internal and External relations and advocacy for results mobilization.
Required Skills and Experience The ideal candidate should be a Nigerian national (male or female) with:
- Post Graduate degree in Demography, Social Sciences, Sociology, Development Studies, Economics, Medical Sciences, Public Health or other related fields.
- Demonstrable minimum of 7 years post graduate working experience in programme management and monitoring and evaluation at national level.
- Experience working with government institutions and donor organizations.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Familiarity with issues on population, reproductive health, gender and youth. Have the ability to work under pressure.
- Excellent communication and human relation skills.
- Proficiency in current office software applications is mandatory
- Strong capability to communicate clearly and concisely in both oral and written English
Related Programme Skills:
- Because the nature of work is programme focused, involving other groups and various timelines and activities, related skills of good time management, managing deadlines and good team relationships are essential. Knowledge of the UN system is desirable.
United Nations Considerations
- The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. (Charter of the United Nations - Chapter 3, article 8).
- Candidates will be required to meet the requirements of Article 101, paragraph 3, of the Charter as well as the requirements of the position.
- The United Nations is committed to the highest standards of efficiency, competence and integrity for all its human resources, including but not limited to respect for international human rights and humanitarian law.
- Candidates may be subject to screening against these standards, including but not limited to whether they have committed, or are alleged to have committed criminal offences and/or violations of international human rights law and international humanitarian law.
Method of Application
To apply, visit UNDP Career Page
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale