If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
Main purpose of job:
The British Deputy High Commission is looking to recruit a Regional Training Assistant to work in the Risk & Liaison Overseas Network (RALON) office. RALON has secured funding for a programme of upstream border capacity building in West Africa. The objectives of this programme are
- Improved border and migration management capacity in key irregular migration source countries - supporting a reduction in irregular migration flows.
- Improved capacity to sustainably re-integrate and rehabilitate returned migrants, including Victims of Trafficking - supporting increased returns and improved protection for vulnerable groups.
- Improved upstream co-operation on tackling the push factors that drive irregular migration at source - supporting a reduction in irregular migration flows.
- Improved Value For Money – Working upstream, at source, to prevent and reduce illegal immigration to the UK to reduce downstream costs to the UK taxpayer. Building capacity of key partners through frequent, targeted, responsive and intelligent liaison/expertise transfer as a more cost effective approach than large scale programming and/or equipment investment.
- Improved security system management through building capability to detect fraudulent documents and prevent inadequately documented passengers from travelling; increasing investigation and intelligence skills to tackle the underlying criminality behind immigration crime.
- The Successful candidate will be responsible for assisting the Regional Training Offcer in the capacity building programme in Overseas Development Aid (ODA) countries. The roles will focus on developing technical knowledge and strengthening institutional capacity on migration, human trafficking and border security management, aiming at long-term sustainability. The programmes aim to build capacity in three areas:
- Developing institutional capacity;
- Developing human capacity; and
- Developing operational capacity.
The position is for an initial one year contract, and may be subject to renewal.
Regular regional travel will be required please take this into consideration when applying for the position.
Roles and responsibilities:
The successful candidate will assist in researching trends in visa applications, dealing with passengers referred to the BDHC by airlines and checking application details against confidential databases. Duties will include:
- Working closely with existing RALON teams oversee and assist Regional Training Officer to build Capacity in West and Central Africa.
- Assist in developing and managing a clear, coherent programme/capacity building plans.
- Working with HO training teams to develop and deliver training courses, as well as "training of trainers" programmes in order to facilitate knowledge sharing and best practice.
- Provide ancillary administrative support to the Regional Training Officer and Immigration Liaison Manager (ILM) on travel and accommodation arrangements as well as diarising and booking venues to provide training.
- Assist the Regional Training officer and ILM in managing financial/budgetary plans, exercise quality control over all procedures and documents, and ensure proper follow-up as necessary.
- Assist in the coordination of timely submission of reporting on programmes, including ad hoc, monthly, interim, quarterly, annual and end-of-project reports.
Essential qualifications and experience
- Working closely with existing RALON teams oversee and coordinate capacity building activity in ODA countries.
- Develop and manage clear and coherent programme/capacity building plans.
- Working with HO training teams develop and deliver training courses, as well as "training of trainers" programmes in order to facilitate knowledge sharing and best practice
- Manage and coordinate the work of all support staff
- Manage financial/budgetary planning, exercise quality control over all procedures and documents, and ensure proper follow-up as necessary.
- Oversee and coordinate timely submission of reporting on programmes, including ad hoc, monthly, interim, quarterly, annual and end-of-project reports.
- Previous experience in a training environment is preferable and good keyboard skills and familiarity with computers and software packages (notably MS Word, Excel and straightforward databases) is essential for the role
Desirable qualifications and experience
- Fluency in French would be advantageous
- Seeing the Big Picture, Making Effective Decisions, Leading and Communicating, Collaborating and Partnering, Building Capability for All
Method of Application
To apply, visit BHC Career Page