Job Vacancy at Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC)
Posted on: 8 June, 2016
Deadline: 8 July, 2016
View Jobs in Oil and Gas / Marine
View All Jobs at Organization Of The Petroleum Exporting Co
Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) - We coordinate and unify the petroleum policies of its Member Countries and ensure the stabilization of oil markets in order to secure an efficient, economic and regular supply of petroleum to consumers, a steady income to producers and a fair return on capital for those investing in the petroleum industry.
- The Research Division's objective is to conduct a continuous program of research, issuing reports, analyses and data in the field of energy and related matters.
- It monitors, forecasts and analyses development in energy in general and the oil industry in particular, as well as follows and analyses related economic and financial developments.
- It contributes to the coordination of OPEC Member Countries (MCs) in international negotiations and promotes cooperation between the various relevant global players to be able to be present and actively participate in the various international fora.
Objective of Position
- The Director, Research Division, plans, organizes, coordinates, manages and evaluates the work of the Research Division in accordance with the work programme and budget of the Division.
- The work covers studies on medium and long-term energy developments, short-term perspective studies and analyses of the petroleum market as well as data, information and IT Development in these fields.
- He/she provides substantive reports and other documentation with particular focus on supervising, guiding and contributing to the Secretariat’s technical reports.
- As designated by the Secretary General, to represent OPEC in MCs and at relevant international fora and to prepare and deliver substantive reports and statements and to initiate research collaboration with relevant organizations and institutions.
- Furthermore, he/she contributes to further strengthening the cooperation between MCs in the fields of Research & Development (R&D) and technology.
- He/she pursues close monitoring and analysis of ongoing multilateral negotiations and dialogues with various governmental bodies and further enhances the producer-consumer and producer-producer dialogues.
- Finally he/she acts on behalf of the Secretary General (SG) during his absence as and when the SG delegates his authority.
- Defines, in broad terms, a research programme on energy and related matters that is responsive to the needs of the Organization and MCs;
- Directs and coordinates the work of the Departments in the Research Division according to agreed priorities, and paying particular attention to ensuring that:
- The activities of Petroleum Studies Department (PSD), Data Services Department (DSD), Energy Studies Department (ESD) and Environmental Matters Unit (EMU) are efficiently and appropriately coordinated, and the output is optimal and of high quality;
- The information needs for PSD, ESD and EMU are clearly communicated to DSD and channeled through Public Relations & Information Department (PRID);
- The plans and priorities of DSD are fully responsive to these needs;
- Plans the activities of PSD, ESD, DSD and EMU and sets priorities among these to ensure that:
- All studies requested by the Economic Commission Board (ECB), other standing committees and working groups are completed to high quality standards and on time;
- Other activities of the Division are appropriately focused on the areas of greatest interest to the MCs;
- Likely future requests for research and analysis are anticipated and requisite preparatory work is initiated;
- Supervises the Department Heads and Environmental Coordinator reporting to him in assigning staff to studies and research projects, with particular attention to ensuring that:
- Studies that require staff from more than one Department, or that cut across the specific responsibilities of each Department and Unit, are efficiently carried out and appropriately coordinated and staffed;
- All staff are effectively utilized on work of an appropriate level for their skills and experience;
- Coordinates the work of the ECB and standing committees, assisting them in defining a coherent programme of research to support the policy making activities of the Conference, and supervising the execution of this research programme;
- Identifies issues of importance to and their implications for the Organization; brings these issues to the attention of the SG;
- Keeps the SG fully informed of the work of the Division, and draws his attention to specific issues and studies of major importance;
- Works with the SG and Head, PRID to coordinate the participation of the Secretariat staff in outside meetings and seminars, and reviews proposed contributions by research staff to ensure high quality and in accordance with the interests of the MCs;
- Reviews the performance evaluation, staff development, salary, promotion and separation recommendations made by the Department Heads and Environmental Coordinator reporting to him and amends these as appropriate;
- Ensures that the staff in his division receive the supervision and guidance necessary to broaden and deepen their skills and constantly improve their performance;
- Defines the Division’s future staff needs and ensures that these are clearly communicated to, and discussed with Head, Finance & Human Resources Department (FHRD);
- Coordinates the preparation of the annual budget for the Research Division;
- Makes plans of missions and training for staff in the Research Division;
- Carries out any other tasks assigned to him/her by the SG.
Required Competencies and Qualifications
- Advanced University degree preferably in Economics and/or Engineering.
- PhD preferred.
- Advanced university degree: Minimum 15 years whereof 6 years at international level in conducting and/or in planning/supervising research and development work relating to energy, in particular oil, and at least 6 years in high level managerial position.
- PhD: 12 years
- Conducting and leading research on economic and technological issues in the fields of oil and energy.
- Managerial & leadership skills
- Communication skills
- Decision making skills
- Strategic orientation
- Analytical skills
- Presentation skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Customer service orientation
- Negotiation skills
Status and Benefits
- Members of the Secretariat are international employees whose responsibilities are not national but exclusively international. In carrying out their functions they have to demonstrate the personal qualities expected of international employees such as integrity, independence and impartiality.
- The post is at grade A reporting to the Secretary General. The compensation package, including expatriate benefits, is commensurate with the level of the post.
Method of Application
To apply, visit OPEC Career Page
- Applicants must be nationals of Member Countries of OPEC and should not be older than 58 years.
- Applicants are requested to fill in a résumé and an application form which can be received from their Country’s Governor for OPEC.
- In order for applications to be considered, they must reach the OPEC Secretariat through the relevant Governor not later than closing date stated above.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.
❮ Back to All Jobs
- Know more about Organization Of The Petroleum Exporting Countries ...Similar Jobs
- Enviromental Officer at an Oil and Gas Firm - BeaconGate Limited
- Lubricants Distribution Manager at Orion Group
- Forte Oil Plc Recruiting for Project Engineers
- Job Openings at an Oil and Gas Firm
- Latest Vacancies at Turbo Energy Nigeria Limited
- Well Servicing/Coil Tubing Field Supervisor, Services at Amaiden Energy Nigeria Limited
- Finance Manager at WTS Energy
- Fresh Jobs at Hobark International Limited (HIL)