Amnesty International Nigeria is a global movement of more than 7 million people who campaign for a world where human rights are enjoyed by all. We reach almost every country in the world and have: more than 2 million members and supporters who drive forward our fight for rights more than 5 million activists who strengthen our calls for justice.
Our aim is simple: an end to human rights abuses. Independent, international and influential, we campaign for justice, fairness, freedom and truth wherever they're denied. And whether we're applying pressure through powerful research or direct lobbying, mass demonstrations or online campaigning, we're all inspired by hope for a better world. One where human rights are respected and protected by everyone, everywhere.
- The Amnesty International Nigeria Director is responsible for developing, coordinating and implementing strategies, operational plans and budgets for the work of Amnesty International Nigeria in alignment with Amnesty International’s Strategic Goals and towards the establishment and development of an effective AI presence in the country.
- The Director is accountable for management of the staff, resources, the office in-country and operations of AI Nigeria, ensuring the application of AI policy and quality standards across the operations and provision of political advice for AI’s work on Nigeria.
- Externally the Director is responsible for building national relationships and Amnesty International’s profile in Nigeria and within the Amnesty International movement.
- The Director will represent AI at a senior level with the Nigerian government and others.
- Amnesty International is a truly global human rights movement, made up of millions of individual members and supporters who are passionate about defending human rights for all and who believe the world would be a better place if together we took injustice personally.
- By mobilising the humanity in everyone, shining a light on human rights abuses wherever they may occur and speaking truth to power, for over 50 years now we have been making a tangible difference in the lives of those who are denied their basic rights, every hour, every day.
- Reporting to: Senior Director of the Office of the Secretary General
- Posts that this job manages: The Director will be responsible for the direct line management of relevant roles covering functions such as general operations, research, campaigns, advocacy, fundraising, media and growth, and have overall accountability for effective line management of all posts within the country.
- Other key relationships: The Director represents Amnesty International in Nigeria to the public, government and business leaders, IGOs, media, current and potential donors, partner NGOs and CBOs, and rights-holders and promotes strategic collaboration and partnerships with relevant stakeholders.
The post holder also works in close collaboration with:
- Africa Regional Advisory Group
- West Africa Regional Office Director
- Africa Research and Advocacy Director
- Relevant colleagues at the West Africa Regional Office and the wider, global International Secretariat
- Colleagues of Amnesty International in Sections around the world
In collaboration with relevant IS colleagues and programmes the Director is responsible for the following tasks:
Delivering Human Rights impact through organisational management and leadership:
- Develop and promote an organisational vision and human rights and growth strategy for AI Nigeria which articulates AI’s Strategic Goals and inspires and motivates internal and external stakeholders
- Ensure that AI maintains its pre-eminent position in the field of human rights legal and policy analysis by ensuring the application of AI standards of work, including AI’s human rights policy and standards, the accuracy of the analysis and application of law and policy
- Recruit,develop and manage the performance of project staff, volunteers and consultants, in order to ensure that impact oriented operational plans are delivered on time to a high standard and in compliance with AI’s Staff Terms and Conditions of Employment, related policies and local employment law.
- Develop, monitor and provide internal and external reports on project budgets and financial issues in line with the Financial Policy of Amnesty International Nigeria and manage the annual audit of the financial accounts in compliance with local regulations to ensure that the operational plans are delivered in line with the approved budgets and with sound financial accountability. To identify resource needs of the office and work in collaboration with the International Secretariat to ensure resource needs are met.
- Establish and implement quality control systems to ensure that the activities of Amnesty International Nigeria meet the organizational standards of timeliness, accuracy, consistency, balance, independence and impartiality. Ensure the identification and sharing of best practice models with the movement and timely reporting against key performance indicators of the entity.
- Establish an Advisory Board with effective working relationships within the AI movement.
- Establish a culture of engagement across the movement to model One Amnesty and its benefits.
External Representation of the Amnesty International movement within Nigeria:
- Develop, maintain and utilize effective working relationships with key external stakeholders including partner organizations, networks, coalitions, donors and key internal stakeholders in order to identify and take advantage of opportunities for cooperation, collaboration and information sharing which will increase the impact and influence of the work of AI Nigeria.
- Leverage Nigeria’s influence regionally and globally by calling on the government to be a global leader promoting human rights domestically and internationally. Coordinate advocacy and lobbying work in Nigeria, including building relationships with partner organizations, the media and government and working with global sections to maximise the influence of their international solidarity work.
- Identify and ensure relationships are built with key donors, funding constituencies and high net worth individuals
- Represent Amnesty International in Nigeria at public events, to NGOs, the media, International Organizations and the government in order to ensure that Amnesty International has a visible profile with external stakeholders in Nigeria and in order to deliver impact in compliance with AI’s mission and strategy in Nigeria.
- As the Chief Media spokesperson in the country, interact with the media proactively and support the organization of media activities in order to support AI research and high level missions and to ensure compliance with the organizational standards for Media work.
- Accountable for the overall health safety and security of the office in order to ensure that the office carries out the facilities, logistical and administrative functions required in order to effectively carry out its activities and support those of AI Nigeria.
Based on the Human Rights and Growth strategy, develop and implement operational plans for AI Nigeria to deliver on objectives related to:
- A programme of solid research, campaigning, communications, mobilisation and activism linked to clear theory of change for priority human rights issues in Nigeria.
- A centralized constituency relationship management system capable of mobilizing activism and resources to further Amnesty International’s human rights goals in Nigeria.
- Strengthening the power of right-holders and support the human rights movement through innovative options for engagement and activism.
- Creation of an AI presence in Nigeria that innovates and leads new thinking and approaches.
Amnesty International Nigeria needs Country Director who has skills in:
- Sound and mature judgement of political issues
- Experience of effective lobbying government and intergovernmental agents for policy change
- Exemplary communication skills
- Commitment to and substantial knowledge of human rights
- Understanding of civil society landscape in Nigeria
- Strategic and analytical thinking
- Strong operational management skill
Salary is competitive. There will be a requirement to travel and represent Amnesty across the country. You will be part of a lively network of peers and colleagues from around the world.
Method of Application
Applicants should forward their CVs and application letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: Applications received after the deadline will not be accepted.