Mercy Corps has been present in Nigeria since 2012, focusing its interventions on adolescent girls' empowerment, economic development and conflict mitigation. With the insurgency spilling over from the North East of Nigeria and causing displacement of millions of individuals, Mercy Corps has decided to address the rising humanitarian needs among displaced households and vulnerable host communities by starting its humanitarian program in July 2014. The Human resources function is discharged by the operation support. The Operations department functions to ensure effective systems that support strategy for healthy, robust and integrated functions of local team members.
- Mercy Corps has been present in Nigeria since December 2012, focusing its interventions on adolescent girls’ empowerment, economic development and conflict mitigation. In mid-2014 Mercy Corps has decided to address the rising humanitarian needs among displaced households and vulnerable host communities by in the north east Nigeria and started its humanitarian program.
- With funding from humanitarian donors including OFDA, FFP, EU and ECHO the humanitarian program has been focusing on food assistance, non-food items distribution, protection, livelihoods support, WASH and capacity building of humanitarian response actors.
- All Mercy Corps interventions in Nigeria are implemented in a conflict and gender sensitive manner.
General Position Summary
- The Operations Officer provides day-to-day support to the program operations in the north - east, under the direct supervision of the Head of Office based in As part of his/her responsibilities the Operations Officer will undertake tasks under procurement, administration and logistics, working in close collaboration with the finance and program teams based out of Yola or Biu.
- S/he will promptly and effectively provide all required support to programs so to deliver the assistance to beneficiaries in a timely, compliant and transparent manner.
Essential Job Functions
- Coordinates daily Mercy Corps (MC) procurement activities, with respect to internal procedures.
- Possesses a full understanding of MC procurement policies and formats. Provide training to new staff on these policies and provided refresher training as gap in staff knowledge are identified;
- Assists staff as needed on creating clear and understandable purchase requests (PR) and other documentation;
- Collects quotations and bids from the market for PR-s with support from Senior Procurement & Logistics Officer in Abuja - as per Mercy Corps standards and formats;
- Maintains PR Master Lists and shares with staff on weekly bases.
- Interact with vendors during collection of quotations - explain Mercy Corps formats and ensure that vendors will use the provided forms.
- Ensures fair competition and strictly adhere to Mercy Corps procurement rules regarding vendor relations as described by Mercy Corps
- Interacts with contractors, in coordination with the Senior Procurement & Logistics Officer, Operations Manager and Program Coordinator
- Ensures that the required documentation of supplies and transactions are completed to Mercy Corps standards. Maintains and updates the procurement files
- Raise payment request for vendor’s payments and monitor the status of each payment.
During procurement the Operations Officer will:
- Always accord prompt and courteous reception and fair and equal treatment to all vendors/suppliers and their representatives.
- Provide equal opportunity for vendors/suppliers to make price and specification quotations.
- Guarantee the confidentiality of all specifications and price quotations made by vendors/suppliers.
- Decline to take advantage of vendors/suppliers’ errors, and show consideration for vendors/suppliers’ difficulties by co-operating with them whenever possible.
- Avoid subjecting vendors/suppliers to needless expense or inconvenience when requesting quotations or returning goods.
- Explain as clearly and fully as possible to vendors/suppliers the reason(s) for the rejection of their bids/proposals.
- Remain scrupulously free of obligations to any vendor/supplier.
- Remain informed about sources of supply, methods, services and materials and encourage vendors/suppliers to test and develop improved or expanded products and services.
- Inform vendors/suppliers about current and anticipated requirements.
- Assists the Asset Controller with asset management. Identify assets during the course of procurement and notify the Asset Controller on receipts of assets; maintain assets registry.
- Participates in regular assets inventory and checks.
- Ensures that all the assets are maintained and in good condition. Check assets stickers regularly.
- Oversees the vehicles movement plans;
- Ensures that Mercy Corps vehicles are maintained and fully operational all the time
- Maintains vehicles documentation, including log sheets, repairs logs and schedules
- Monitors vehicles and generator fuel consumption
- Oversees the generator and inverter operation, monitoring the servicing schedule
Administration & Other:
- Liaises with country office on renewal of office rental agreements.
- Establishes and maintain appropriate filing systems for office correspondence. Receive and dispatch mail.
- Ensures that the office is run in a professional and responsible manner including hosting guests, cleaning, receptionist duties and general contact and liaison with outside agencies.
- Ensures that office has sufficient office supplies.
- Co-ordinates any other necessary administrative and office management details.
- Makes all necessary travel and logging arrangements for Gombe visitors
- Oversee the management of office consumable (office materials like: stationary, cleaning & hygiene,): that will include: collecting the requests on monthly bases, maintaining the stock, monitoring the use.
- Facility management ( cleaning, equipment repairs, utilities, water supply,green office considerations, facility keys management ect)
- Administrating communication, ensuring internet, printers are working, staff has enough phone credit.
- Collect HR related documentation and liaise with the country office on HR tasks
Operations Management - Security:
- To act as the office Security Focal Point.
- Conduct security risk assessments of core operational features and record and report findings;
- To ensure that compound guards remain an effective and credible deterrent;
- To ensure through comprehensive briefings, that all staff and visitors to are fully appraised of the risks, the prevailing security situation and any security procedures.
- To manage and maintain all security communications equipment;
- Carries out other duties as assigned.
- The Operations Officer will conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Drivers, cleaners and security company.
- Accountable for following Mercy Corps Field Procurement Manual, the Mercy Corps Code of conduct regarding procurement activities and MC Conflict of Interest policy.
Reports Directly to: Head of Office
Works Directly with: Program and finance staff in north - east and operations staff in Abuja
Knowlwdge and Experience:
- A relevant first Degree in Business or Arts is desired.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in operations (logistics, procurement), preferably within an NGO; international business or related field. Strong organizational skills; ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel.
- Excellent oral and written English skills;
- Knowledge of Gombe local languages is required;
- Strong computer skills on MS Office programs, especially in MS Excel.
- A demonstrated ability to multi-task and process information into action as to not delay program activities. A clear understanding of procurement ethics and donor compliance is essential.
- Conscientious with an excellent sense of judgement ;
- Ability to work simultaneously on multiple tasks;
- Demonstrated attention to details;
- Ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines;
- Willingness and ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work comfortably with ethnically diversified team members ;
- Ability to work as part of a team and coordinate with project personnel;
- Excellent spoken and written English, strong computer skills are a must ;
- Proved organizational skills.
Method of Application
Applicants should submit their CVs and Cover Letter, addressing the position requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org Application must not be more than four pages.
- All applications must include the position title in the subject line.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.