The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters, NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours’ notice when a crisis occurs.
In light of the displacement in the north eastern part of Nigeria, NRC is about to start up an emergency response programme in Nigeria to respond to the humanitarian needs.
In the coming year, the main focus for NRC would be conflict affected populations including IDPs, returnees and the local communities in Borno State. NRC initially started activities in the area of food security, water and sanitation and shelter sectors. NRC is therefore seeking a Procurement Assistant in Maiduguri, Nigeria. The Procurement Assistant reports to the Logistics Coordinator.
• Receive requisitions and source bids & quotations for the purchases of goods and services in accordance with NRC procurement regulations.
• Register and maintain proper files of requisitions, quotations and purchase orders and other relevant documents.
• Participate in procurement planning and follow up with program section to ensure requisitions are received in a timely manner to ensure program continuation.
• Ensure complete paper trail for payments and filing according to projects
• Assist the Logistics Officer in establishing and coordinating routine processes and procedures for the logistics department.
• Facilitate and ensure the purchases of various supplies as specified and of good quality.
• Liaise with suppliers to ensure prompt and accurate delivery of goods and services and received in good condition as per invoices, delivery notes and packing lists.
• Prepare documentation for bid committee meetings and provide technical advice to Area/Project Managers to ensure effective and efficient procurement.
• Complete and issue purchase orders & contracts in accordance with NRC regulations.
• Update and submit the weekly Procurement Tracking sheet to the Logistics Coordinator
• Any other task reasonably assigned by the supervisor
• Relevant university degree, or other relevant educational background combined with relevant professional experience as Procurement Assistant in a humanitarian/recovery context.
• Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts is an asset
• Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
• Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
• Managing resources to optimize results
• High-level competency in computer skills (Microsoft Office applications)
• Fluency in English, both written and verbal and in Hausa
• Good communication and negotiation skills
• Ability to work under pressure, independently and with limited supervision.
• Highest standards of ethics and integrity
• Handling insecure environments
• Communicating with impact and respect
• All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Code of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable
• Commencement: As soon as possible
• Contract period: 1 Year (with possibility of extension)
• Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s directions
• Duty station: Maiduguri, Borno State,
Applicants can submit their application letter and updated CV to the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org The title of the position you apply for (Procurement Assistant - Maiduguri) must be indicated in the subject line of your e-mail. Please notice that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
• Please notice that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
• Please note that to apply at NRC is FREE!!
• NRC does not ask for money or any form of favour for submission of application or employment.
Deadline for application is 5th June, 2016 (any application received after the deadline will not be considered).
The Norwegian Refugee Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women are particularly encouraged to apply to this position.