Amnesty International Nigeria is a global movement of more than 7 million people who campaign for a world where human rights are enjoyed by all. We reach almost every country in the world and have: more than 2 million members and supporters who drive forward our fight for rights more than 5 million activists who strengthen our calls for justice.
Our aim is simple: an end to human rights abuses. Independent, international and influential, we campaign for justice, fairness, freedom and truth wherever they're denied. And whether we're applying pressure through powerful research or direct lobbying, mass demonstrations or online campaigning, we're all inspired by hope for a better world. One where human rights are respected and protected by everyone, everywhere.
- To manage Amnesty International’s AI Nigeria’s Stop Torture in Nigeria project and to work with internal and external partners in order to ensure that the project is planned, implemented, reported and evaluated within the agreed timeline and resources.
- The International Secretariat, which operates from a number of sites around the world, gathers and communicates accurate and action-oriented human rights information globally.
- We campaign for meaningful human rights change; enable effective human rights activism and work to persuade governments and other actors to uphold universal human rights standards.
- We provide strategic leadership, support and advice to the Amnesty International movement globally, fostering Amnesty International’s contribution, presence and public accountability throughout the world.
- Reporting to: AI Nigeria Executive Director Posts that this job manages: interns, volunteers, temporary and fixed term contract staff and consultants. Other key relationships: AI Nigeria researchers and campaigners, external project partners, Amnesty International sections and structures, HRE coordinators, Dakar Regional Office, Campaigns teams, national entities, external experts in human rights education, colleagues in other NGOs and academia.
The post is a full-time position contract. The project is externally funded:
- The project will approach the issue of health and well-being of torture victims from a human rights angle.
- Torture by police and security forces destroys the life and well-being of individuals across Nigeria.
- Nigeria is a state party to several regional and international human rights mechanisms that prohibit the use of torture and ill-treatment.
- The Nigerian Constitution also prohibits torture.
- Despite several calls by Amnesty International and others urging the Nigerian authorities to criminalize torture, no significant action has been taken.
- Meanwhile, individuals continue to suffer horrendous violations in detention.
- Through an Intervention Network, Amnesty International and partners will protect seek to people from torture and give them the help they need by ensuring legal and medical support in the crucial hours post-arrest.
- The job requires frequent travel in Nigeria.
- Develop and oversee the implementation of the Stop Torture project, including detailed project planning, implementation, budget management, and evaluation & reporting to relevant bodies within and outside the Amnesty International movement to ensure that the project is effectively managed within the context of international Stop Torture campaign, Strategic Goals, and the parameters of the external funder.
- Lead on the liaison with the main implementing partners in Nigeria and internationally, including through regular team meetings and consultations, development of working processes and protocols, and the organization of capacity building activities on an ongoing basis.
- Work with key stakeholders including the Human Rights Education Coordinator to deliver the communication, human rights education and promotional activities as agreed in the project plan.
- Manage the overall operations, outputs and outcomes of the project team, including; supporting and supervising staff and volunteers in the team, ensuring smooth, efficient and effective operations and high quality outputs from the project team.
- Other tasks as assigned within the responsibility, scope and nature of the post in order to ensure the effective implementation of the project.
What Does Success look like in This Job?
- A successful Project co-ordinator will have overseen the management and implementation of the Project within the framework agreed norms, plans, budget, and timeline.
- S/he will have contributed to the effective implementation of the project and the project team, and enhanced its contributions to the overall Project goals and Amnesty International mission, and upheld Amnesty International’s values at all times.
Amnesty International Nigeria needs project co-ordinator stop torture who has skills in:
- Communicating in English language, Work with civil society, INGOs and Government
- Projectand grant management
- Team building and partnership
- Creativity and is self-motivated
- Experience in delivering training
- Understanding of human rights situation in Nigeria as it relates to torture
- Demonstrating understanding between project evaluation and organisational learning within a specific context
Skills and Experience: Essential
Project and grants management:
- Proven experience of developing and managing complex projects, budgets and inter-disciplinary project teams
- Understanding of project management methodology including distance management Ability to assess and liaise effectively with external individuals and bodies, including key stakeholders
- Ability to build positive and productive working relationships
- Ability to troubleshoot effectively
- Ability to write project plans, progress reports and final reports for organisational and funding requirements as appropriate
- Experience in delivering grants-funded projects
Communications and Representation:
- Demonstrated ability to communicate on behalf of an organisation in different fora, including the wider human rights movement, membership, officials / institutional interlocutors
- Experience in drafting external and internal reports and briefings
- Ability to communicate clearly and tailor style and content of material for different purposes and people of different cultures
- Evidence of well-developed listening and speaking skills
- Experience of communicating and working effectively with people from different cultures
Team Building & Partnerships:
- Ability to network, and build and maintain strong partnerships
- Ability to coordinate and motivate individual members of a team including volunteers and external partners
- Ability to schedule and plan work by setting clear goals
- Experience of working to deadlines and adjusting priorities according to needs
Resilience, Initiative, and Motivation:
- Demonstrated approach to work that is characterized by commitment, motivation and energy.
- Ability to take the initiative and motivate others to join in work towards organisational priorities
- Demonstrated ability to maintain personal effectiveness by managing own emotions in the face of pressure, setbacks or when dealing with provocative situations
- Experience in delivering training and appreciation of the importance of training to the development of organizational capacity
- Demonstrated understanding of human rights and the human rights situation in Nigeria, in particular the issue of torture
- Demonstrated understanding of the link between project evaluation and organizational learning within a specific context
How You Work:
- The IS Behaviour Framework focuses on how we work rather than what our job is designed to do. It articulates the behaviours that are expected from a group of professionals who are working effectively together.
- Delivering results Working with others
- Developing oneself and others
- Contributing to a dynamic and effective national office
- Making decisions
- Taking the initiative
- Communicating and influencing
- Equality and diversity is at the core of our values and staff are expected to work collectively and individually to promote a constructive and sensitive approach to others from a variety of backgrounds, where the work of others is valued and respected.
Conflict of Interest:
- Public or other activity, affiliation to or support for any group or organization, personal association or other factor which may generate a real or perceived conflict of interest with Amnesty International’s principles (specifically independence and impartiality), or raise a security concern, or otherwise prevent the candidate from carrying out key functions of the specific post and would therefore disqualify the candidate from being appointed.
Salary is competitive. There will be a requirement to travel and represent Amnesty across the country. You will be part of a lively network of peers and colleagues from around the world,
Method of Application
Applicants should forward their applications and CVs to email@example.com
Note: Applications received after the deadline will not be accepted.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.