Save the Children is a leading international organization helping children in need around the world. First established in the UK in 1919, separate national organizations have been set up in more than twenty-eight countries, sharing the aim of improving the lives of children through education, health care and economic opportunities, as well as emergency aid in cases of natural disasters, war and conflict.
In Nigeria, Save the Children has been working since 2001. The early focus was on getting children actively involved in shaping the decisions that affect their lives. Today, Save the Children is working in seven federal states - Zamfara, Yobe, Jigawa, Katsina, Kano, Bauchi and Kaduna - focusing on providing basic healthcare and protecting children.
- The Head of Humanitarian Programme provides support to all programmatic aspects of Save the Children humanitarian responses across the whole of Save the Children's Nigeria programme and specifically to the Humanitarian Response that Save the Children Nigeria is about to start to address the IDPs crisis in the North-Eastern State of Maiduguri and Gombe.
- H/She ensures humanitarian activities are effective and meet goals and objectives of Save the Children, its donors, and the needs of affected populations.
- Ensures the Save the Children programme is adequately prepared to respond to new emergencies and plays an appropriate role in humanitarian coordination.
- Ensures immediate and appropriate response to children's needs during humanitarian crises.
- The post holder will play a strategic role in the effective scale up and management of Save the Children humanitarian programmes to increase impact and enable positive change for children.
- This will include working with Directors of PDQ and Operations to secure additional resources and support through members and playing taking on an advocacy role.
Qualifications and experience
- MA / MSc level in a relevant subject or equivalent field experience
- Previous experience of humanitarian programme management, preparedness and response in volatile contexts
- Experience of managing multi-donor, multi-site programmes (including ECHO, FFP, DFID and OFDA)
- Security management experience across a large programme.
- Experience in developing and delivering training, as well as mentoring and coaching.
- Ability to write clear and well-argued assessment and project reports
- Excellent communication skills
- Proven ability to influence change at an operational and strategic level
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
- The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances.
- Ability to access communities sin Northern Nigeria
- Commitment to the aims and principles of SC. In particular, a good understanding of the SC mandate and child focus and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Computer literate in Microsoft word, excel etc.
- Commitment to and understanding of SCI's aims, values and principles.
- Solid networking experience
- Experience or knowledge of working and living in relevant Sahel region/context.
- Humanitarian leadership experience in conflict zones.
Method of Application
To apply, visit Save The Children Career Page
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale