We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that hardworking people can generate income, jobs and wealth for their families and communities. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
TechnoServe works with enterprising people in the developing world to build competitive farms, businesses and industries. We are a nonprofit organization that develops business solutions to poverty by linking people to information, capital and markets. Our work is rooted in the idea that given the opportunity, hardworking men and women in even the poorest places can generate income, jobs and wealth for their families and communities. With more than four decades of proven results, we believe in the power of private enterprise to transform lives.
TechnoServe is widely recognized for developing and catalyzing high impact market-led partnerships that expand small holder market access and improve food security. Operating in thirty countries, we work with a variety of corporations, government, civil society partners and farmers to implement programs that help raise farmer incomes and yields in the cocoa, cashew, cassava and other key industries.
We are interested in collaborating with our client -- an international non-profit organization that develops agricultural solutions to tackle hunger and poverty by reducing producer and consumer risks, enhancing crop quality and productivity, and generating wealth from agriculture -- on an upcoming five-year project. The focus will be on the commercialization of an innovative bio control product in Africa.
To support this innovative effort, TechnoServe seeks a seasoned manager with proven experience to lead the agribusiness component of the project. This position is contingent upon TechnoServe being awarded the project.
In this role you will:
- Provide overall management for the implementation of the country strategies in the target countries
- Select, establish, activate and manage the channel partnership platform: distributors, wholesalers, agro-dealers, farmers, etc
- Lead in the forecasting of product (by region/country) and liaise with other stakeholders internally to align with organizational budgetary and financial objectives
- Establish the supply chain system (from the manufacturer to the end user: dispatch of goods to various locations/countries, storage, distribution and utilization on the farms)
- Create and maintain a sustainability plan that ensures that the business is profitable and addresses the social and economic realities in the communities in which it operates
- Lead the development of the business linkages between the production facilities and the farmers, processors and markets within the countries and outside the continent
- Meet and liaise with relevant government officials, potential investors, private sector, donors and development partners active in the agricultural value chain
- Conduct regular field visits to farms, manufacturing and distribution sites in the selected countries
- Anticipate and remove any constraints on the field (including within the partnerships) that will lead to a derailment of the set objectives of the business
- Provide training and mentoring support to the Business Development and M&E Specialists Coordinate the production and dissemination of communication materials (print and electronic) relating to the project and the organizations involved in the business
- Support timely delivery of quality financial reports to donors
- Support proper implementation of donor rules
- Provide hands-on assistance and guidance to field teams during annual audits and donor audits, as required
- Willingness to travel at least 50 percent of time.
You will have:
- A bachelor's degree in economics, business, agriculture or other relevant subject with a minimum of 10 years of work experience in agribusiness development, preferably in Africa; or master's degree in economics, business, agriculture or other relevant subject with a minimum of 7 years of work experience in agribusiness development, preferably in Africa
- Demonstrated experience in technology transfer
- Proven experience managing a dynamic team
- Track record of building strong client and stakeholder relationships
- Strong organizational, analytical and quantitative skills
- Ability to anticipate demand, manage multiple tasks/ projects and meet tight deadlines
- Proven team player with strong interpersonal and cross-cultural skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including ICT skills
- Strong ability to communicate effectively in English is non-negotiable
- Ability to speak French will be an advantage
- Experience in working in challenging, complex and post-conflict countries will be an advantage
Method of Application
To apply, visit TechnoServe Career Page