Called “the startup that’s harder to get into than Harvard” by CNN, Andela is a business with a mission. We are developing a corps of high-quality technology talent across the African continent that will drive the current and future phases of tech-enabled growth around the world. With the fastest growing population and some of the highest youth unemployment in the world, we believe Africa is one of the greatest untapped markets for talent development.
At Andela, we find the brightest young people in Africa, train them to be world-class fellows, and connect them with employers around the world looking for top technical talent. Passion, excellence, entrepreneurial spirit, and rejecting the status quo are just a few of the things that Andela team members have in common. We have a vision to train 100,000 world-class fellows in the next 10 years. Read more about why Forbes magazine named us one of the 10 most important social impact companies today.
As the Career Planning Manager you will be responsible for ensuring that Fellows are thinking about their careers, both for their time at Andela and for after they graduate, and that Andela is doing everything possible to enable those careers. Key performance indicators that you will be measured on include:
- % of Fellows with career plans
- % of Fellows tracking along their career plans
As part of the Andela Technical Leadership program, we provide Fellows the opportunity to pursue many different paths toward technical leadership, as well as prepare them for their time after being in the program. As part of that effort, we provide Fellows with career advice and help them plan out the path that they'd like to take through the Fellowship in order to get the maximum benefit of the training and experiences that we offer. Initially this will be a sole contributor role but over time this position will be responsible for managing career counselors as we scale to include more and more Fellows.
Key Responsibilities Of This Role
- Assess Fellows' personal characteristics, skills and interests via one-on-one interviews and/or group sessions;
- Provide appropriate help, advice and recommendations based on interviews/test results;
- Be a subject matter expert on existing and emerging technology-related career paths;
- Conduct workshops for Fellows and staff;
- Help Fellows to manage their own careers by developing career plans that cover their time at Andela as well as what they want to do when they graduate from the program
- Check in with the Fellows at least quarterly to ensure that they are making progress on their career plans or updating it to reflect their new interests or options made available
- Compile data from all the Fellow career plans to ensure that Andela is offering the necessary training to support the most desired career options
- Manage career counselors in performing related tasks
- Passion for our mission
- Bachelor's degree in counseling or a related field; certificate programs in career or life coaching are also acceptable
- Work in a technical company or other relevant experience in understanding technical roles and career paths
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Experience in clarifying objectives, dealing with ambiguity/under-defined problems, advocating for simplification, and influencing team members
- Experience in guiding people to make the right decision versus making it for them
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills and demonstrable creativity.
- Experience managing junior staff working in a distributed manner
- Willingness to travel between Andela centers in Africa on a semi-frequent basis
- The successful candidate must possess both the ability and the willingness to work independently and act on her/his independent judgment.
Method of Application
Interested in this position, apply on Greenhouse
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale