Mercy Corps has been present in Nigeria since 2012, focusing its interventions on adolescent girls' empowerment, economic development and conflict mitigation. With the insurgency spilling over from the North East of Nigeria and causing displacement of millions of individuals, Mercy Corps has decided to address the rising humanitarian needs among displaced households and vulnerable host communities by starting its humanitarian program in July 2014. The Human resources function is discharged by the operation support. The Operations department functions to ensure effective systems that support strategy for healthy, robust and integrated functions of local team members.
Position Status: Full Time
Duration: 1 year
General Position Summary
- The Human Resources Assistant will work closely with the operations department to provide a variety of personnel related administrative duties.
- The selected candidate will provide information and clerical support to the Human Resources officer, management and employees regarding human resources activities, policies, processes and procedures.
Essential Job Functions
- Work under the direction of the Human Resources Officer to process and properly document all daily HR activities, efficient and timely manner.
- Assist in the coordination of recruiting new staff to Mercy Corps Nigeria – as per MC procedure;
- Processes employment applications and assist in other employment activities
- Administers and coordinate the scoring of assessment test and interview reports
- Collate applications into spreadsheet for shortlist and hiring program managers.
- Coordinate HR projects ( meetings, training, surveys, parties) and take notes
- Facilitate conduct of due diligence for new staff
- Record employee information such as personal data, compensation, benefits, tax data, attendance, performance reviews or evaluations, and termination date and reason.
- Assist gathering monthly timesheet for submission to Finance.
- Responsible for preparation of monthly salary advice.
- Responsible for tracking annual leave days per Mercy Corps policy.
- In cooperation the Human Resources Officer and Finance team, ensure the validity of benefits and allowances.
- Responsible for ensuring the HR files and documentation of all MC Nigeria staff are current and complete;
- Coordinate tracking of performances evaluations ( annual performance reviews and probationary review), contracts timelines and trainings.
- Coordinating the clearing process of departing staff as per Mercy Corps Nigeria policy;
- Adherence to all MC policies and procedures as outlined in MC policies and procedure manuals;
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Other duties as assigned.
- As part of Mercy Corps' agency-wide Organizational Learning Initiative, all team members are responsible for spending 5% of their work time in formal and/or non-formal professional learning activities.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- This position does not have supervisory responsibility.
Reports Directly to:
Work directly with:
- Mercy Corps Nigeria team, Programs, Operations teams in Abuja and field offices
Knowledge and Experience
- Education: At least a Bachelor's degree in Business, Administration, Management or equivalent professional certification.
- At least 9 months working experience (NGO related experience is an advantage)
- Fluency in English required, including report development, writing and editing.
- Good interpersonal skills, with good understanding of relevant cross-cultural issues.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members required
- Good developed computers skills with strong familiarity with Microsoft Word and Excel are mandatory.
- Candidate must be willing to travel and work throughout Nigeria.
A successful candidate will have:
- Strong diplomacy skills in dealing with a team of varied backgrounds,
- Contextual knowledge of Northern Nigeria.
- Willingness to travel to insecure locations in the north
- Ability to use effective communication
- Excellent organizational and strong interpersonal skills and display an even temperament and good sense of humour.
Living Conditions/Environmental Conditions:
- The Human Resources Assistant will be based in Abuja with frequent travel to field Offices including insecure locations in the north with possible stay overnights.
- Mercy Corps Team members represent the agency both during and outside of work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/TDY to a field posting.
- Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their CV's and Cover Letter, addressing the position requirements to: email@example.com Application must not be more than four pages.
- All applications must include the position title in the subject line. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- We are an equal opportunity organization and we encourage women to apply to these positions.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale