Established in 1951, International Organization for Migration (IOM) is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the direct supervision of the Programme Manager (FMM West Africa) and in close coordination with the relevant Regional Thematic Specialists, the successful candidate will be responsible for the implementation of migration management activities under the European Union (EU) - funded Programme Support to Free Movement of Persons and Migration in West Africa. This five year programme aims to maximise the development potential of free movement of persons and migration in the Economic Community for West African States (ECOWAS) by supporting the effective implementation of the ECOWAS legal and policy framework on free movement and migration.
The programme will be implemented by a Consortium of Partners, under the lead of the International Organization for Migration (IOM), in close coordination with the ECOWAS Commission. The International Centre for Migration Policy Development (ICMPD) and the International Labour Organization (ILO) are the two implementing partners.
The Regional Migration Management Specialist will be responsible for strengthening the capacities of the ECOWAS Commission in the areas of regional dialogue, migration policy development, and immigration and border management.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Support the ECOWAS Commission in the implementation of the regional dialogue on migration (Migration Dialogue for West Africa - MIDWA), in close coordination with the Senior Policy and Liaison Officer of the IOM Regional Office for West and Central Africa.
Develop and coordinate the implementation of IOMs immigration and border management activities in the project, in close collaboration with ICMPD, the IOM Regional Thematic Specialist for Immigration and Border Management and the experts of IOMs African Capacity Building Centre (ACBC).
Develop and coordinate with ILO the implementation of IOMs trafficking activities in the project, in close collaboration with the Regional Thematic Specialist for Migrant Assistance.
Provide technical guidance to the national programme officer for migration data and policy in the development and implementation of IOMs migration data management and policy development activities in the project.
Support the Regional Programme Coordinator in the preparation of project donor reports.
Undertake duty travel for programme implementation purposes.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Masters degree in Political or Social Science, International Relations, Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
• Proven expertise in the area of migration management, including regional consultative processes, migration data and policy development immigration and border trafficking;
• Knowledge of the Economic Community for West African States (ECOWAS) and understanding of regional issues;
• Experience in liaising with regional bodies, governmental authorities, other international/national institutions;
• Previous work experience in the West African region desirable.
Fluency in English and French is required.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
• Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
• Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
• Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
• Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM Recruitment system, by 17 May 2016 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For Online Application, please click iom-apply.html
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM recruitment system.
From 04.05.2016 to 17.05.2016
Requisition: VN 2016/104 (P) - Regional Migration Management Specialist (P3) - Abuja, Nigeria
Posting: Posting NC54795911 (54795911) Released