If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
Oxfam Novib is a leading, global development organization that mobilizes the power of people against poverty.
We are looking for an INGO FORUM COORDINATOR - NIGERIA
Start date: May 16, 2016
Contract duration: 8 months initial contract with the possibility of further extension
Location: Abuja, Nigeria - single posting
Reporting to: the INGO Forum Executive Committee
The Nigeria INGO Forum (NIF) was established in 2014 and currently brings together 19 international organizations (16 members + 3 observers) working in Nigeria through both development and humanitarian interventions with a stronger focus on the latter. NIF exists primarily to serve the needs of its members and to act in their interest for the betterment of serving beneficiaries. The main objectives include information sharing/ communication; coordination; policy development and advocacy; engagement with national civil society; and external representation of the INGO community.
With 2 current team members (Coordinator and Support Manager) the NIF plans to expand to include Advocacy/IM/Engagement team members, with the goal of improving services to its members and increasing advocacy related to identified key priority issues. As of May 1st, NIF will be hosted by Oxfam International in the central Maitama district of Abuja. While the position focuses largely on coordination and representation duties, practical management skills, policy drafting experience and a level of protection expertise will prove invaluable.
The INGO Forum Coordinator engages with:
- INGO Forum Executive Committee - reporting, information, collaboration, cooperation
- INGO Country Directors - coordination, collaboration, information
- INGO Technical departments/Sectors - information, collaboration, coordination
- Government Ministries/Agencies/Departments - liaison, lobbying, representation, advocacy, information, collaboration, cooperation
- UN agencies - lobbying, representation, information, collaboration
- Donors: Lobbying, information, collaboration
Main tasks and responsibilities
Objective 1: Coordinates INGO Forum members recognizing different programmatic focus, agendas and ways of working
- Convene and set agendas for regular meetings of the INGO Forum, the wider INGO work group meetings and any ad hoc meeting, chairing meetings as needed in consultation with the Forum members.
- Increase and enhance engagement of and input from Nigerian NGOs and liaise with others for representing NGOs in Nigeria.
- Serve as a focal point for the development and coordination of all INGO interagency communications.
Objective 2: Compile, analyse and share humanitarian/development information/data within and outside of Forum members
- Conduct active and continued research into prevailing humanitarian, socio-economic, geo-political, security situation in Nigeria, providing the Forum with regular updates.
- Work with INGO Forum country directors or designates to build a country network of watchmen through INGO Family and collect data and information on scheduled and unscheduled basis.
- Work closely with INGOs, UN agencies, Government and other international (Donors and Embassies) local stakeholders in gathering information, seeking input and feedback.
Objective 3: Liaises with key international and national stakeholders to strengthen the network of contacts of INGO Forum members
- Provide a conduit for the UN, the GoN, donor representatives and other stakeholders to communicate and coordinate with INGOs.
- Promote the role of local NGOs, help to forge links between international NGOs and local organizations
- Maintain and/or develop productive relationships with key individuals in relevant government ministries, foreign and local NGO community, including UN Missions, Diplomatic Corps, donors, etc.
Objective 4: Represents INGO Forum members to influential external contacts and advocates for the same cause.
- Develop, maintain and actively employ advocacy strategy in line with identified INGO Forum priorities.
Objective 5: Manages the Forum offices
- Responsible for managing budgets and expenditures for all Forum grants in compliance with contract holder financial and procurement procedures.
Required skills and experience
- Master’s degree in international relations, political science, journalism, sociology or equivalent through experience.
- Experience in political analysis and conflict prevention.
- Five to ten years professional experience in government, academia, international organisations, NGOs, advocacy or journalism.
- Excellent writing, editing and analytical skills and ability to formulate well-targeted policy recommendations.
- Written and spoken fluency in English.
- Good knowledge of international humanitarian architecture, institutions and donors.
- Ability to work in a matrix management environment.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including good public presentation skills, and a very strong capacity for effective teamwork.
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced and often demanding environment.
- Commitment to International Humanitarian standards and values, in particular the principal of ‘do no harm’.
- Commitment to impartiality and transparency at work.
- Models humanitarian best practices, and the leadership behaviours.
- Ability and willingness to change work practices and hours in the event of major emergencies including travelling at short notice and for extended periods of time.
- Previous experience in coordination of INGOs and/or consortiums elsewhere.
- Previous experience in Nigeria.
Oxfam Novib is committed to providing a competitive, fair and comprehensive pay and benefits package that is justifiable to our donors. We offer a gross monthly salary in the range from € 2, 933 to € 4,512 on the basis of a 40 hour working week. Additional benefits include 8 % holiday payment, pension and comprehensive insurance. For international candidates additional expat allowances will be offered. Please note that this is a non-family posting.
Method of Application
Are you interested? Please send your application in writing, including motivational letter and curriculum vitae, to email@example.com to the attention of The Recruiter, not later than May 10, 2016. For more information please contact Doris Nwankwo, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted