EDC is one of the world’s leading nonprofit research and development firms. EDC designs, implements and evaluates programs to improve education, health, and economic opportunity worldwide. Collaborating with both public and private partners, we strive for a world where all people are empowered to live healthy, productive lives.
EDC has an opening for an Assessment Officer in Sokoto & Bauchi, Nigeria, to support the USAID/Nigeria's Northern Education Initiative Plus project, implemented by Creative Associates and EDC. USAID/Nigeria's Northern Education Initiative Plus works to improve the quality of and access to education in Northern Nigeria equitably and sustainably. The position will report to the M&E/Assessment Officer.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS – The Assessment Officer is expected to: (1) communicate clearly, accurately, efficiently, and courteously; (2) develop and maintain positive relationships with clients, consultants, collaborators, co-workers, field sites, and funders; (3) work collaboratively with colleagues, demonstrating leadership and initiative; and (4) implement and maintain various technologies and data management systems. All positions require adherence to EDC policies and procedures.
The Assessment Officerwill:
- Provide support for development of project-specific literacy and other kinds of assessments
- Assist to conduct in-country adaptations of international literacy assessment tools
- Assist to develop and implement literacy and other kinds of assessments in three of Nigeria's Northern states
- Participate in data analysis and cleaning
- Assist in preparing reports on assessment results
- Support the creation of communication briefs and presentations on basic literacy and other kinds of assessments
- Support knowledge sharing efforts related to evaluation protocols, procedures and reports
- Collaborate closely with the M&E team in all activities
The Assessment Officer:
- Effectively interacts with diverse staff, colleagues, and clients
- Seeks and incorporates feedback
- Coordinates administrative and logistical tasks
- Coordinates quality assurance
- Facilitates project teamwork and feedback exchanges
- Collaborates on troubleshooting complex problems, proposing initiatives and recommending or negotiating solutions
- Adapts readily and demonstrates flexibility
- Supports innovation that benefits project activities
- Implements and promotes the use of EDC and project systems
- Seeks help and support as needed
- Demonstrates initiative and willingness to learn
- Supports staff in carrying out tasks
QUALIFICATIONS – This position requires educational achievement; excellent writing skills; demonstrable initiative, creativity, and flexibility; ability to effectively work independently as well as in groups; strong interpersonal and organizational skills. Specific requirements:
- 3+ years work experience and 2+ years of assessment, research and evaluation experience
- Experience with computer applications (including databases), psychometric or statistical measurement techniques, and Internet research
- Some prior research or evaluation leadership preferred
- Travel to project states required, up to 30%
- Proficiency in Hausa
An ideal candidate will have:
- Academic background and professional interest in basic literacy research and evaluation
- Experience in data collection, processing, and analysis
- Statistical analysis skills
- Ability to analyze and provide written synopses
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to handle multiple priorities
- Prior experience with USAID-funded projects preferred
Method of Application
Applicants are requested to submit their resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org “SokotoAssessment Officer” or “Bauchi Assessment Officer” in the subject line of the email depending on preferred job titles. Only candidates who are being invited for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
EDC is committed to diversity in the workplace. EDC offers a supportive work environment, competitive salary, and an excellent benefits package.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.