The MRC Unit, The Gambia is the Medical Research Council’s largest establishment conducting laboratory, field based and clinical research in a developing country. The Unit aims to improve the health of people in developing countries by contributing to the development, testing and safe adoption of interventions aimed at reducing the burden of morbidity and mortality from infectious diseases.
The Disease Control & Elimination theme has recently secured a research grant entitled “Reactive household-based self-administered treatment against residual malaria transmission (RHOST)”. This project explores the concept of a community-based initiative for reactive treatment of household contacts of patients with confirmed clinical malaria as a way of significantly reducing parasite carriage in the population to near zero.
- You will coordinate and manage the Unit activities, staff and resources allocated to the West Africa region eftiative.
- The thtal aim will be to ensure that the MRC West Africa platform strategy and related activities are delivered efficiently in accordance with the MRCGs Quinquennial Plan, approved country budget and other relevant policies and procedures.
Scope of Work
The scope will include:
- Research and the development of strategic documents
- Managing external partnerships with institutions and Government officials
- Promoting and managing externally funded projects
- Promoting and managing Capital Investment projects
- You will have a Degree level qualification or equivalent, with formal training in Project Management.
- It is essential to have proven expdrience of planning, managing and delivering project programme management and competence in financial administration, personnel management, strategic report writing, monitoring and evaluation.
- It is important that you are sensitive to the needs of Multi-Cultural and Multi-Faith communities.
- The MRC is a unique working environment where our researchers are rewarded by world class innovation and collaboration opportunities that the MRC name brings. Choosing to come to work at the MRC means that you will have access to a whole host of benefits, as well as the chance to put the MRC on your CV in the future. Non-Gambian applicants may also be eligible for housing, flights and schooling contributions which apply for relocated staff.
- The salary will be paid in Band 4a of MRC UK payscale.
- We cannot accept applications from people who are currently, or in the last six months, employed by The Gambia Government.
- The appointment is for 3 years.
Method of Application
Applicants should contact the Human Resources Office for an application form and a copy of the job description by emailing: email@example.com . Completed application forms together with photocopies of qualifications should be returned to:
Human Resources Office,
Vacancy for: West Africa Research Platform Coordinator
Ref: GAM 171,
MRC Unit, Fajara,
P.O. Box 273,
Banjul, The Gambia.