Job Vacancy at World Food Programme (WFP)
Posted on: 26 April, 2016
Deadline: 6 May, 2016
View Jobs in NGO / Non-Profit Associations
View All Jobs at World Food Programme (WFP)
World Food Programme (WFP) is part of the United Nations system and is voluntarily funded. Born in 1961, WFP pursues a vision of the world in which every man, woman and child has access at all times to the food needed for an active and healthy life. We work towards that vision with our sister UN agencies in Rome - the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) and the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) - as well as other government, UN and NGO partners.
On average, WFP reaches more than 80 million people with food assistance in 82 countries each year. 11,367 people work for the organization, most of them in remote areas, directly serving the hungry poor
- To generate and/or contribute to the VAM evidence base that supports food security and nutrition policies and programmes in Nigeria (e.g. needs assessment and situation analyses, programme design, targeting, cost effectiveness, and operational efficiency).
- Provide technical advice and support WFP and its partners (e.g. NEMA, SEMA) on matters pertaining to food security and nutrition strategies, policies, programmes, and facilitate the timely and productive use of related outputs in a manner that complies with WFP standards and processes.
- Contribute to the development of systems and tools for the monitoring and assessment of food assistance needs in line with innovative methodologies (e.g. mVAM) and best practice.
- Manage and/or conduct national food security, nutrition, markets and resilience analysis and prepare timely reports on food assessment needs in line with wider VAM policies, processes and guidance to enable effective decision-making on the development of country strategy, policies and programmes.
- Ensure close collaboration with key food security and nutrition partners among others NEMA, SEMA, UNICEF, FAO, FEWS NET, ACF, NRC, MERCY Corps, OXFAM, IRC, etc.
- Support the design, implementation, analysis and reporting of ongoing and planned food security surveys such as EFSAs and FSMS in the region as needed.
- Contribute to the development of programme activities, providing technical analysis, interpretation and recommendations to facilitate food assistance needs to be met effectively.
- Represent WFP during meetings with partners to contribute to technical discussions, exchange of knowledge and experience, and seek for appropriate interventions (based on an evidence base), and areas for potential collaboration.
- Build capacity of WFP staff, partners and national government to conduct analysis on food security, nutrition, markets, resilience, and related topics to effectively inform policies and programmes.
- Provide support to relevant partners that are focusing on food security and nutrition to enable sharing of experience, lessons learned and best practice.
- Participate and support the broader regional level discussions and methodology/strategy development for food security analysis within the Strategic Response Planning (SRP) led by the regional Humanitarian Coordinator for the Sahel and OCHA, with the regional Food Security and Nutrition Working group
- Lead an urban food security assessment with partners in Maiduguri town
- Set up a state level food security assessment (post harverst) in three states (Borno, Yobe and Adamawa)
- Participate and support the Cadre Harmonisé analysis in the country and the region
- Contribute to Sahel SRP monitoring and reporting for the food security sector
- Contribute to the elaboration of the monthly joint FAO-WFP food security bulletin
- Support emergency response capacity as required to meet emergency food assistance needs.
- Other as required.
Desired Experiences for Entry into the Role
- Gained valuable experience in collecting geospatial and socioeconomic food security data, conducting quantitative and qualitative analyses, and reporting findings to senior leaders.
- Has led surveys, multiple assessments in countries, including the design, data collection and analysis.
- Has participated in design and implementation of WFP programmes focusing in food security.
- Proficient in statistical packages (SPSS, STATA, SAS) and ArcGIS mapping software
- Familiarity with WFP core food security indicators (Food consumption score, coping strategy index and CARI classification)
Critical Success Factors
- Ability to compile, maintain and analyze data, prepare reports and draw initial conclusions and recommendations
- Ability to work in a team, and maintain effective work relationships with counterparts at national, regional and headquarter level.
- Effective and timely interaction with colleagues and concerned parties internally and externally
- High flexibility to travel frequently in the region
- Ability to deal patiently and tactfully with people of different national and cultural background
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain effective work relationships with country/regional counterparts and staff within the office, host population, donors, NGOs and other UN agencies
Standard Minimum Academic Qualifications
- Advanced University degree in Economics, Food Security, Statistics, Sociology, Data Science, Public Health/Nutrition, Geography or other related field, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience and/or training/courses.
- 3-5 years relevant experience in the field of food security, emergency needs assessment, market analysis, humanitarian operations, or a closely related area.
- Working experience in a developing country, preferably with an NGO or a UN agency in emergency-related work.
- International Professional: Fluency (level C) in English language.
Method of Application
Applicants should send their Applications to firstname.lastname@example.org
❮ Back to All Jobs
- Know more about World Food Programme (WFP)Similar Jobs
- Logistics Officer at Danish Refugee Council (DRC)
- Latest Jobs at Gender Equality, Peace and Development Centre (GEPADC)
- Latest Job Vacancies at Malaria Consortium
- Business Development Advisor at Plan International
- Senior Program Officer, Special Projects at FHI 360
- Graduate Human Resource Assistant at Mercy Corps Nigeria
- Renovation and Construction of Camp Facilities, Custom House at The Agency For Technical Cooperation And Development (ACTED)
- Job Vacancies at The Agency For Technical Cooperation And Development (ACTED)