Save the Children is a leading international organization helping children in need around the world. First established in the UK in 1919, separate national organizations have been set up in more than twenty-eight countries, sharing the aim of improving the lives of children through education, health care and economic opportunities, as well as emergency aid in cases of natural disasters, war and conflict.
In Nigeria, Save the Children has been working since 2001. The early focus was on getting children actively involved in shaping the decisions that affect their lives. Today, Save the Children is working in seven federal states - Zamfara, Yobe, Jigawa, Katsina, Kano, Bauchi and Kaduna - focusing on providing basic healthcare and protecting children.
The primary purpose of this role is to provide operational oversight for two projects in Kaduna State (Strengthening Newborn Care and Health workers capacity building project) in Lagos, Kaduna and Gombe states. This position resides in Kaduna.
S/he will support the implementation of projects deliverables as it relates to trainings of frontline health workers, delivering of quality Newborn health care and advocacy for the domestication of relevant National policies for newborns and Human Resource for Heath (HRH) at implementing states.
The incumbent is expected to manage operational aspect of the project as it relates to budget spending and monitoring, logistics and other operational support at the field level for the overall delivery of the project deliverables. S/he will work closely with respective field/Area Operations managers and operational staff to ensure the systematic and prompt implementation of program activities in line with SCI standards and procedure of implementation across all the implementing state.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
- In consultation with TAs, programme manager and field manager, S/he supports projects operation in accordance to the proposal documents and budgets earmarked for each activities ensuring the minimal spending variances
- Support MEAL officers and relevant TAs on project baseline and end line surveys, quarterly program quality assurance, data quality checks and routine monitoring for optimal project delivery
- Provides support to the development of programme work plans and related operational activities in line with CO and AO/FO budget phasing and budget tracking processes
- Provides useful contextual insights into concept notes during related proposal development and other expanded responsibilities delegated by his line manager
- Collate and submit monthly, quarterly and annual narrative and financial project reports (at as when due) to health programme manager, TAs
Planning and Budgeting:
- With TAs, participate in the development of Detailed Implementation Plan (DIP) and ensure the implementation, operations delivery of costed annual, quarterly and monthly work plans in line with budgets
- Support advisors, program officers in the development of activity budgets, planning of activities, deliveries and follow up with finance, and logistics for timing retirement documents. In consultation with HPM, deliver on the projects risk assessment, represent and monitor BVAs meetings at the field level.
- In consultation with managers, the incumbent tracks budget spending for both direct labour and programme costs. He works closely with logistics, finance and other units at the field level and ensure activities are delivered in accordance timely with the work plan and budget
- The incumbent will support Health TAs and managers on the implementation of all project related activities and maintain close contact with operations staff both at the field and country office on the delivery of project and operations Key Performance Indicators (KPIs).
Operations, external representation and staff management and development
- The incumbent supports Maternal Newborn Child Health (MNCH) advisors and LGA senior program officer across the implementing states on their deliverables. He provides operational support to the MNH Advisor on budgeting, planning and operational implementation in consultation with CO TAs and managers.
- S/he will work closely with Field manager to maintain good relationship and representations with State and Local government key stakeholders on advocacy and actively participate in State/LGAs technical working groups.
- In consultation with health programme manager (HPM) and Field manager, ensure effective involvement of government counterpart (state decision maker) in project activities in order to foster ownership of the project through a, participatory approach to planning, implementation, monitoring, evaluation.
- With support from HPM, TAs and HR, identify project staff development needs and relevant trainings and follow up with relevant units and ensure that project staff are given every opportunity to increase their competencies, capacities and own personal development
Essential Qualifications, Experience & General Skills
- Academic/professional qualification at post graduate level, MBBS, MPH or equivalent.
- At least 7 years’ experience in project/Programme management.
- Substantial operational experience and a track record of success in health programming, Newborn care will be an added advantage. Very good understanding of national health policies and strategies, programmes and stakeholders, partners on MNCH in Nigeria
- Proven track record that demonstrates leadership skills, project management, budget tracking and resource management experience, and stakeholders’ relationship management capability with proven capacity to deliver results against objectives, reporting schedules and work plans
- Sound strategic thinking and planning skills, including ability to think creatively and innovate and to set priorities, manageable work plans and evaluate progress; experience in working across multiple partners and government
- Ability to translate programmatic information into practical guidance and tools and effectively communicate these using print, electronic, and presentation media
- Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children’s values and mission.
- Ability to work effectively both independently (with minimal supervision) and as a member of a team
- Commitment to gender equity, child rights, community empowerment, and grassroots development approaches
- Effective planning and organising skills
- Effective interpersonal skills – oral and written communication skills
- Computer literacy skills – MS Office applications, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Spread sheets
- Strong facilitation and presentation skills
go to method of application »
Strategically lead and manage the Child Development Grant Programme in Northern Nigeria; accountable for the achievement of programme deliverables and delivery of the joint log-frame within the consortium of Save the Children and Action Against Hunger.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
- Manage and lead programme related strategic liaison with in-country government, donors, consortium INGOs and Agencies. Manage relationships to ensure ongoing programme performance and technical quality assurance.
- Ensuring the programme meets or exceeds agreed targets, including reviewing cross-consortium programme performance data and programme management arrangements on a monthly basis, identifying and agreeing residual actions, mitigation activities and influencing consortium partners to ensure partner performance is maintained.
- Maintain a close working relationship with the technical team to ensure that the programme achieves technical excellence, embedding continuous improvements in operational aspects of programmes.
- Inspire, lead and motivate programme teams to deliver on programme objectives.
- Ensure that the project is appropriately staffed across Save the Children and consortium members, including the appropriate combination of expertise across technical and operational areas
- Identify, implement and improve accountability mechanisms for operating under commercial arrangements across partnerships and programme consortium arrangements including contract compliance considerations.
- Develop programme systems that are flexible and responsive to changing demands of programme implementation.
- Ensure that an effective monitoring system is in place for achieving prior agreed targets in relation to programme activities, budget allocations and financial expenditures, ensuring that value for money can be effectively demonstrated to the donor
- Identify and effectively manage all key risks related to the programme
- Demonstrate and ensure programme implementation demonstrates high levels of commitment to Save the Children UK and our vision, mission and values in order to ensure the objectives of your role and the country programme are met.
- Ensure the effective and efficient use of all Save the Children UK resources in order to keep costs low and ensure safety in the workplace.
- Comply with the requirements of Save the Children’s Child Safeguarding Policy to ensure maximum protection for children
- Ensure strong budget management and compliance and resource utilisation
QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
Administrative & General Skills
- Prior experience of designing and/or delivering large scale (in excess of £10m) cash transfer programmes
- Proven ability to manage large consortiums with a minimum of 4 years experience managing multi-regional or multi-country programmes
- Demonstrable track record of meeting or exceeding programme targets, while maintaining technical quality.
- Ability to represent the cash transfer programme at a strategic level and engage and influence key stakeholders
- Demonstrated experience of working with national and/or regional level government structures to strengthen the capacity of the state to take ownership for and deliver services.
- Self-motivated and results orientated.
- Highly numerically articulate with a track record of data manipulation and use of spreadsheets and reporting systems.
- Experience in management of finance and budget monitoring and risk management.
- Proven ability to motivate and develop others
- Highly diplomatic and emotionally intelligent with strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong communication, and interpersonal skills in English, with substantial experience in managing multicultural teams
- Experience of building, leading and developing a team of senior staff with different backgrounds and expertise
- Experience of solving complex issues through analysis, definition of a clear way forward and ensuring buy-in
- Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children’s aims, values and principles
Desirable experience and characteristics
- Post-graduate qualification in Social Sciences, or Public Health, or Nutrition or Food Security related relevant discipline or a First degree with a minimum of 16 years experience in relevant field.
- Substantial experience of working and living in Africa, ideally with professional experience in Nigeria
- Demonstrable understanding of Value for Money and DFID results agenda.
- Ability to coach and mentor multi-sectoral partners
Method of Application
To apply, visit Save The Children Career Page
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale