If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
The U.S. Embassy in Abuja is seeking to employ suitable and qualified candidate for the position below in the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Nigeria:
Basic Function of the Position
- Under the supervision of the Branch Chief for Epidemiology, Strategic Information, and Health Systems Strengthening, the incumbent coordinates and provides strategic support for the implementation of CDC Nigeria PEPFAR Site Improvement through Monitoring Strategy (SIMS) towards increasing the impact of PEPFAR programs on Nigeria’s HIV epidemic.This is accomplished through monitoring and improving the quality of service delivery at the site and above-site levels on key program elements.
- S/he provides technical expertise to improve the quality of HIV/AIDS services that CDC Nigeria is providing in collaboration with the Federal Ministry of Health (FMOH).
- Additionally, s/he will support CDC Nigeria in the assurance of service quality through review and the promotion and coordination of continuous quality improvement (CQI) activities.
Note: All applicants MUST address each required qualification listed below with specific information supporting each item. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not qualified:
- Master’s degree in any of the following: Public Health, Epidemiology, Computer Science, Social Sciences or a strongly related field is required.
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience working as a Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) or quality assurance officer in a health/medical research organization, university or public health program implementing agency based in a developing country is required.
- Level IV (fluent) Speaking/Reading/Writing in English is required. Language Proficiency will be tested.
- Thorough knowledge of HIV/AIDS public health programs, strategies, monitoring and evaluation systems, data analysis and detailed knowledge of the host country public health operational environment including the operations of the Ministry of Health, and other host government ministries are required.
- Ability to exercise considerable ingenuity in applying PEPFAR M&E/Strategic Information guidelines to unique and different settings is required. Additionally, s/he is required to exercise considerable innovation to adopt appropriate M&E strategies for overall improvement and efficiency of program activities.
- Proficiency in MS Office, (Word, Excel, Access), and statistical software packages (SAS, SPSS and STATA) is required.
Hiring Preference Selection Process
When qualified, applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP**
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of the most recent Member Copy Four (4) of the DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, and, if applicable, a letter from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
- If claiming conditional eligibility for U.S. Veterans' preference, applicants must submit proof of conditional eligibility.
- If the written documentation confirming eligibility is not received in the HR office by the closing date of the vacancy announcement, the U.S. Veterans' preference will not be considered in the application process.
- Mission HR's decision on eligibility for U.S. Veterans’ preference after reviewing all required documentation is final.
- This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP.
Additional Selection Criteria
- Management will consider nepotism/conflict of interest, budget, and residency status in determining successful candidacy.
- Current OR employees serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply. Current OR employees with an Overall Summary Rating of Needs Improvement or Unsatisfactory on their most recent Employee Performance Report (EPR) are not eligible to apply
- Current NOR employees hired on a Family Member Appointment (FMA) or a Personal Service Agreement (PSA) are not eligible to apply within the first 90 calendar days of their employment, unless they have a When Actually Employe(WAE) work schedule
- The candidate must be able to obtain and hold the local security certification after selection.
- Candidates who are EFMs, USEFMs, AEFMs, or MOHs must have at least one year remaining on their sponsor’s tour of duty to be considered eligible to apply for this position.
Or Ordinarily Resident (OR) - N8,795,684 p.a (Starting basic salary) Position Grade: FSN-10
In addition to the basic salary, all allowances will be paid in accordance with the Mission Local Compensation Plan.
NOR - Not Ordinarily Resident -AEFM/EFM - US$49,804
(Starting Salary) p.a. Position Grade: FP-05/5*
Method of Application
Applicants for this position MUST submit the following, or the application will not be considered:
- Application for US Federal Employment (DS-174); or a current resume or curriculum vitae that provides the same information as a DS-174; plus,
- Candidates who claim U.S. Veterans preference must provide a copy of their Form DD-214 with their application.
- Any other documentation such as degrees or diplomas earned and NYSC Certificates/exemptions or awards.
- A type-written and signed application letter specifically applying for this position, and addressing the minimum requirements as advertised. Please reference the job title and announcement number on the application letter.
- Limit all electronic (e-mail) submissions to one entry/e-mail not larger than 5MB.
- Please submit attachments in PDF and Word formats, not pictures.
- E-mails received without the appropriate subject line and incomplete applications will not be considered.
Submit Application to: HRNigeria@state.gov
Point of Contact: Tel: 09-461-400009-461-4000 Ext 4261
Click here to download the Position Decriptions (PDF)
Click here to download Application Form for Employment as a Locally Employed Staff or Family Member (DS-174) (PDF 1.78 MB)
Click here to download the Instructions for Completing DS-174 (PDF 2.40 MB)
- Mailed (paper/hard copies) applications will NOT be accepted.
- All not ordinarily resident applicants must have the required work and residency permits to be eligible for Consideration. A U.S. Citizen EFM does not have to be residing in country to be considered, but the sponsoring officer under chief of mission (com) authority does have to Be assigned officially to post.
- Due to the high volume of applications received, we will only contact applicants who are being considered.