The United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) - For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
Purpose of the Position
- Under the general guidance of the Chief, Social Policy and Gender Equality, incumbent is accountable for formulation, design, planning, monitoring and evaluation of inclusion of Gender in all sector programmes to ensure overall efficiency and effectiveness of the country programme accomplishment of goals and objectives.
- Support UNICEF's gender programming in all sectors and its relationship with system wide mechanisms on gender equality and women's rights.
- Accountable for collaborating on new global programmes and their country roll-out to develop greater awareness of assumptions and perceptions about gender balance.
Key Expected Results
Programme Planning, Development and Management:
- Enhance effective sectoral or inter-sectoral planning, development by supporting the timely completion of the gender awareness and gender equality aspects of the Situational Analysis. Facilitate its periodic update through accurate and complete monitoring and analysis, promoting the use of gender disaggregated indicators and their analysis.
- Collaborates with all sectors to ensure the development and use of gender indicators that are rigorous, manageable and useful for timely reporting and the timely preparation or finalization of sectoral input.
- Provide substantive advice, recommendations and input in the formulation of country programme documents and plans of actions for including gender across all aspects of the programme.
- Takes primary responsibility for the development of the work plans and technical decisions that build gender into programme management, implementation and monitoring, in compliance with the defined programme strategies and approaches.
- Ensures that annual management and workplans include specific gender targets for achievement of UNICEF's gender goals.
Promotion of UNICEF's Global Goals:
- Promotes the organization goals of UNICEF through advocacy, technical advice, and policy dialogue through active engagement in communication, networking and participation at every opportunity inside and outside UNICEF, leveraging the strength of UNICEF mission, goals and programmes.
- Strengthen policies and strategies for gender and equality in line with UNICEF's priorities.
- Promotes knowledge management by exchange of knowledge, information, experience or lessons learned; promote gender awareness knowledge sharing and recommendations on introduction of new initiatives into the country programme.
- Design and implement strategies to provide public information on UNICEF-gender programmes to create greater public awareness about the gender/women's equality issues and their critical role in achieving national goals.
- Design and develop global gender roll-out modules and learning programmes to support managers.
Rights-Based and Results-Based Approach:
- Promotes the mainstreaming of gender and rights based programmes through participation in the formulation of programme goals, strategies and approaches.
- Bring coherence, synergy and added value to sectoral or inter-sectoral management processes using a results-based management approach to planning and design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
Sectoral Work Plan Development, Implementation, and Monitoring
- Takes primary responsibility for including gender in the development of the sectoral work plans and technical decisions as well as for programme management, implementation and monitoring of all sectoral activities, in compliance with the defined programme strategies and approaches.
UNICEF and Government Accountability:
- Collaborates with the Operations and Supply Sections and Government authorities to establish and maintain sound internal controls (as required) to ensure accountability.
- In an advisory capacity,supports programme planning, implementation and coordination.
Communication, Collaboration, Networking and Partnership:
- Ensures exchange of information, experience; and courses of action to support the strengthening of relationships and collaboration with key partners on gender equality programme requirements and objectives.
- Conduct field visits to monitor programmes and collect information.
- Collaborates with Communication and Communication for Development groups to ensure development of effective communication materials and strategies to support advocacy and social mobilization efforts in support of gender programming and gender equality.
- Interacts with Government and other partners, NGOs, UN and bilateral agencies in the different stages of programme implementation to follow up on agreements and recommendations.
- Provide technical advice and guidance on appropriate technical, financial and institutional capacity building measures to achieve gender and rights based programme goals.
Qualifications of the Successful Candidate
- Advanced University Degree, preferably in the Social Sciences, Gender Studies, or other relevant field.
- Eight years of professional work experience at national and international levels in programming for gender equality and women's rights, including international work experience.
- Background/ familiarity with gender equality in development and in emergency. Knowledge and awareness of gender in emergencies.
- Fluency in English and a second UN language.
Competencies of the Successful Candidate
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Working with People
- Drive for Results
- Leading and Supervising
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts
- Relating and Networking
- Persuading and Influencing
- Creating and Innovating
Method of Application
To apply, visit UNICEF Career Page
- The successful candidate for this emergency recruitment MUST be available to commence work within 31 days of receiving an offer.
- UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale