ANKH PTE Limited - Our Client, Opportunity International is a leading global coalition of organizations dedicated to using microfinance to provide opportunities for people in poverty to transform their lives. Their goal is to provide a sustainable bridge between the marginalized poor and opportunities for enterprise and income generation. Founded in 1971, today, our client provides microfinance services to clients in 22 countries in Africa, the Asia Pacific Rim, Eastern Europe and Latin America.
They currently own various banks and financial institutions however following strategic review they have decided to sell/transfer/ JV their banking operations to selected Venture Capital and similar FSI outfits to be able to better concentrate on their core businesses of helping the poor through education, fundraising, agriculture, digital financial services, housing operating as NGOs while at same time continuing a strong partnership with the banks.
With over 15 years experience targeting the low income but economically active Ugandans with both loan and savings products, OBUL is a regulated Financial Institution licensed by Bank of Uganda to operate as a regulated Credit Institution effectively a Savings & Loan Organisation offering micro loans, savings and insurance products specializing in transformational lending in urban, peri-urban and rural environments. It has 19 branches 12 of which are in Kampala.
Our client’s bank in Uganda: Opportunity Bank Uganda Limited (OBUL), is a leading Ugandan Micro Finance Institution, they seek to recruit the position below:
- The CEO must have the capacity to position the Bank for rapid growth and will introduce and develop an innovative range of financial products to serve the poor in a profitable manner.
- Reporting to the Regional Director and the Board of Directors, the Chief Executive Officer leads and manages OBUL.
- The CEO provides overall direction to the organization and ensures maximum outreach, sustainability, and transformation of the bank’s operations.
- The CEO also provides expertise, information, advice and counsel concerning the affairs of the institution to the Board of Directors and the Opportunity International Network to ensure accountability to all stakeholders.
- Finally, the CEO develops and recommends corporate policies as well as short-term and long-term business plans for Board approval and implementation.
- The CEO has a good understanding of and experience in the implementation of standard retail banking operations, positioning our operation in Uganda as a market leading financial institution enjoying sustainable growth and long term viability in an increasingly competitive environment.
- The CEO has a participatory management style and a strong orientation toward the training, mentoring and development of staff.
- The CEO is responsible for building the corporate culture which reflects the core Christian values of its shareholders and Opportunity International in targeting the poor of the world and giving them a chance to work extending a hand to better life.
Under the supervision of the Board of Directors and the Regional Director, the Chief Executive Officer will be responsible for achieving the following objectives and responsibilities:
Strategic Planning, Implementation, Monitoring and Control Processes:
- Review and update the existing business plan in co-ordination with the management team.
- Generate employee commitment, developing the actions and performance standards required to achieve the business objectives and goals.
- Present and obtain Board approval to the strategic plan
- Oversee the continued growth of this regulated bank
- Delivery of the Strategic Plans
- Develop and implement holistic Monitoring and Control Processes
- Drive organizational performance, quantitative and qualitative
- Develop and deliver efficient operational delivery over a geographically spread network
- Develop key sectors such as Agriculture, Education and Housing
- Achieve continued significant growth in the core deposit book
Human Resources Management and Staff Development:
- Provides leadership and direction for the Management Team.
- Motivates the Management Team and all staff to excel in the quality of service they provide and to work effectively in teams.
- Actively supports the use of a formal Staff Performance Management approach with regular evaluation and honest feedback
- Oversees the establishment and implementation of fair and equitable terms and conditions of service, salary and grading structure.
- Supports training, development, and HR management policies and procedures.
- Encourages the transformational development of staff and clients and ensures that it is regularly monitored.
- Promotes equal opportunity and diversity policy and equity.
- Development and Installment of an Opportunity Corporate Culture
- Directly supervise and assess performance of COO, CRO, CFO, Head of IT, Head of Risk, Chief Legal Officer and Head of Human Resources
Development of Products, Services and Delivery Channels:
- Develop products and services that address the needs of our client base
- Identify new market opportunities that are Mission aligned and that improve the lives of the poor in Uganda
- Build upon OBUL market leading position in delivery of innovative products and services and channels to market
Communication, External Affairs and Corporate Image:
- Acts as the principal representative of the organization with the press, other businesses, community and industry associations, and government agencies.
- Develops and maintains effective relationships with the Central Bank, relevant regulatory bodies, government officials, microfinance and banking industry leaders, community leaders, and clients.
- Establishes reliable networking mechanism through which the organization can stay abreast and predict medium and long-term changes in the political, social, economic, legislative, regulatory, and market environment in which the bank operates.
- Liaises with possible investors and strategic partners to raise funds, maintain relationships, and build new partnerships.
- Ownership of donor relationships and key deliverables
Financial and Operational Performance Reports to the Board and Statutory Bodies:
- Develops systems and mechanisms for delivering timely and accurate reporting requirements to Management, Board, Central Bank, investors, and other governing bodies.
- Promotes present and future activities of the institution to the Board, investors and government bodies.
- Advises the Board of risks and threats to the institution as soon as these become apparent.
- Provides general management expertise to the board members and investors to support the strategic development of the organization.
Development of a Corporate Culture:
- Champions and communicates the corporate culture and organizational values to all internal and external stakeholders which is consistent with the Christian values of Opportunity International and shareholders.
- Supports transformational activities aimed at empowering all staff and clients in such a way that they become agents of social, spiritual, political and economic transformation in their own communities.
- Ensures the measurement and monitoring of transformation activities on a regular organization-wide basis.
- Promotes a culture of gender equity and sensitivity among staff and at all levels of the organization.
- Keeps abreast of current developments in microfinance and banking industry including micro and macro environmental factors and trends, micro finance products and poverty eradication strategies through local and international networking activities.
Qualification and Requirements
- Master's degree or greater in Business or Finance is desirable
- Minimum 15 years overall relevant work experience, a minimum 10 of which should have been board or senior management positions in a retail bank or similar financial services company.
- General knowledge of a wide range of micro banking products and services
- Advanced knowledge of retail banking operations, industry, products or services
- Advanced knowledge of standard banking compliance regulations, banking law, business law, employment and labor law, internal operational policies and procedures, and banking products and services
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills with the ability to communicate clearly and persuasively, interpret documents, understand procedures, write reports and correspondence, and speak clearly to third parties and employees
- Ability to meet reporting expectations of the Board, investors, and statutory bodies
- Excellent and advanced critical conceptual or decision-making skills
- Strong leadership and team building skill with proven experience in developing and maintaining a strong senior Management Team
- Strong relationship building and diplomatic interpersonal skills with sensitivity to the emotional, attitudinal and political aspects of corporate life
- Ability to delegate effectively amongst teams and show commitment to the long-term development of the Management Team through coaching, mentoring and creation of development opportunities
- Excellent organization, delegation, performance management, administration, analytical, influencing, negotiation, and time management skills
- Strong leadership qualities with the ability to set and communicate vision and strategy
- Commitment to the Opportunity International Network mission, corporate values, and Christian motivation as expressed in the ability to incorporate the mission and values in the work area
- Ideally has lived and/or worked in Africa
- Fluent in English
- Board of Directors
- Regional Director, Africa Region
- Central Bank
- Investors and other stakeholders
- Management Team
- External auditors
- Revenue authority bodies
- Local Banks and Microfinance institutions
- Legal counsel
Method of Application
To apply, visit ANKH PTE Career Page
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.