The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Grade: A2 (L)
Type of Position: Fixed Term
Duration of Post: 12 months
Job Category: Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Operations and Corporate Services)
Job Subcategory: FMCU (Facilities Management Client Unit)
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
Management of the British Residence:
- To organise the Residence event diary in close liaison with the DHC, his PA and other relevant staff within the British Deputy High Commission.
- To provide assistance and support to HC and official visitors on duty visits to Lagos.
- To ensure the house offers a warm, welcoming atmosphere; to take responsibility for the day to day supervision, cleanliness and upkeep of the house and its surroundings.
- To arrange appropriate maintenance on the house and oversee any refurbishments or works carried out at the Residence.
- To liaise with CS staff and local suppliers on the renewal of fabrics, soft furnishings and other domestic equipment.
Organising and preparing for all functions held at the Residence:
- Agree a schedule of entertainment and events with the DHC and makepreparations for each function. Choose menu in discussion with DHC and/or other individuals as s/he directs. Accompany the cook (when appropriate) on shopping trips.
- Ensure that appropriate extra staff, decorations, equipment are arranged as required and ensuring that such procurement is in line with guidelineson recruitment, health and safety etc, supervise staff/helpers and stockduring and after functions and maintain records and house files.
- To ensure value for money and cost effective purchases and regular reviewof suppliers to seek competitive offers.
Management of Accounts, Inventory and Staff:
- Maintain up to date inventories and carry out periodic checks of all Silverware,Government Art Collection, furniture, furnishings, food and wine stocksat the Residence ensuring that they are still present, functioning and indate.
- Manage the cash imprest ensuring full receipts and costs are monitored.
- To keep the DHC’s monthly account.
- To keep track of monthly stock of food, drinks and other household items.
- To ensure that accounts are kept up to date and submitted within deadlines.
- To actively manage staff at the residence, to carry out regular appraisals and reviews and to ensure that the Residence has sufficient staff at alltimes to meet the operational requirements of the DHC.
- To act as Budget monitor for the entertainment and SIWM sub heads
Essential Qualifications and Experience
- We are looking for someone who can work with minimal supervision and manage a small team.
- They must be professional and flexible in their approach and have a positive attitude to resolving issues.
- They should have strong interpersonal skills and be able to communicate effectively.
- They must possess excellent IT and organisational skills, including the ability to work quickly and accurately, often under pressure.
- All applicants must be able to communicate in English, level of language required: Advanced/Fluent.
Desirable qualifications and experience:
- Previous experience as a Residence Manager
- Leading and Communicating, Collaborating and Partnering, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace
21st April 2016
1st May, 2016
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should apply online
- Employees recruited locally by the British High Commission/Embassy in Post are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Country.
- Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax: e.g. certain third-country nationals and spouses/partners of UK diplomats will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted.
- Any questions you may have about this position will only be answered during interview, should you be invited.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.