Head of Communication Vacancy at IITA
Posted on: 20 September, 2012
Deadline: 2 October, 2012
View Jobs in NGO / Non-Profit Associations
View Jobs posted same day
IITA is an international non-profit research-for-development (R4D) organization created in 1967, governed by a Board of Trustees, and supported primarily by the Consultative Group of International Agricultural Research (CGIAR). Our R4D is anchored on the development needs of sub-Saharan Africa. We develop agricultural solutions with our partners to tackle hunger and poverty by reducing producer and consumer risks, enhancing crop quality and productivity, and generating wealth from agriculture. We have more than 100 internationally recruited scientists from about 35 countries and 900 nationally recruited staff based in various stations across Africa. Please visit http://www.iita.org/ for more information on IITA.
Job Title: Head of Communication (Ref: DDG-R4D/HC/09/12)
Duty Station: Ibadan, Nigeria
Background: The International Institute of
Tropical Agriculture (IITA) invites applications for the position of a
Head of Communication.
- Reporting to the DDG for Partnerships and Capacity Building, the primary responsibilities of the Head of Communication are to:
- Manage and lead the Communication Office and its various units including management of budgets, operations, programmes, projects and activities, both at Headquarters and at the regional hubs.
- Provide high level support to IITA management including oversight of the preparation of presentations, think pieces, articles and manuscripts for diverse fora and publications.
- Design and implement communication strategies, plans and campaigns to promote IITA R4D activities and development impacts to target audiences, as well as monitoring and evaluation of such strategies and plans.
- Identify opportunities for public relations and media campaigns, and oversee such campaigns with relevant background information on IITA.
- Correlate policy and activities to improve all aspects of communication within IITA in particular those which require an organization wide approach.
- Oversight of both proactive and reactive media relations.
- Develop and implement training and development initiatives aimed at improving communications.
- Oversee the enhancement of access to R4D knowledge through various media, tools and approaches.
- Liaison with stakeholders, donors and partner organizations on relevant communication issues.
- Oversee the development of organizational identities.
- Assist in the implementation of IITA’s ten year strategy in so far as it relates to the activities within the Communication Office.
- Perform any other activities as may be assigned.
MSc or MA degree in journalism, communications, public affairs, or fields related to agricultural science.
Experience and skills:
- Minimum of ten years of relevant, substantial and diverse professional experience in all facets of communication and public affairs.
- Proven ability to conceptualize, design and implement major campaigns, strategies and programmes, including those taking advantage of current trends in social media.
- Knowledge of international development issues and the communications and positioning challenges of international organizations, particularly the CGIAR.
- Experience in communications and the ability to write clear, compelling and diverse English-language communications materials for different audiences.
- Capability to work with specialists, often in highly technical areas of research, to write, edit, prepare, and produce communications material.
- Sensitivity to the diverse perspectives of various organizations, including the public, private and NGO sector.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multicultural team and under pressure.
- Excellence knowledge of modern communication tools and approaches.
- Expertise in web-based publishing and marketing.
- Previous experience in developing countries or international organizations, and particularly a successful record in a position similar to that advertised.
- Strong leadership experience with a multidisciplinary, research organization.
- Outstanding client service orientation and good interpersonal skills, including the ability to interact effectively with donors, colleagues, research institutions and partners.
- Ability to effectively lead a team and flexibility in adjusting to changing requirements as directed by the needs of the Institute.
- Excellent command of written and verbal English with ability to articulate a strong strategic vision.
General Information: Initial appointment is for three years (renewable) starting as soon as possible. IITA offers a competitive remuneration package paid in US dollars.
Method of Application:
Applications including covering letter, curriculum vitae, names and addresses of three referees should be addressed to the Human Resources Manager. Please complete our online application form using this link: http://www.iita.org/irs-online-application
Deadline: The position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found
IITA is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes applications from women candidates.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
❮ Back to All Jobs
- Similar Jobs
- Latest Job Opportunity at Catholic Relief Services (CRS)
- Job Vacancy at Echoes of Mercy & Hope Foundation (EMHF)
- Fresh Job Vacancy at the North East Regional Initiative (NERI) Nigeria
- Latest Job Openings at the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC)
- Administration and Logistics Assistant at Cuso International
- Latest Job Vacancy at The International Rescue Committee (IRC)
- Consultancy Role at The Centre for Democracy & Development (CDD)
- Job Vacancy at The International Centre for Migration Policy Development (ICMPD)