The European Commission’s Directorate General for Humanitarian Aid and Civil Protection (ECHO) funds relief for victims of natural disasters and conflicts outside the European Union. For humanitarian aid, the Commission works with about 200 operational partners, including United Nations agencies, the Red Cross/Crescent movement and non-governmental organizations (NGOs). Aid is channelled impartially, straight to victims, regardless of their race, ethnic group, religion, gender, age, nationality or political affiliation.
The ECHO office in Abuja, Nigeria, requires application from qualification who will initially be based in Abuja with possible relocation to Maiduguri or any other cities of the northern states; Hence, we are recruiting to fill the position below:
- The job holder carries out activities to contribute to the delivery of an effective humanitarian response.
- The job holder contributes to assessments, monitoring and evaluations of projects, as well as to the analysis of the humanitarian context in the area of coverage.
Responsibilities & Tasks
Within delegated authority, the Programme Assistant (Group II) will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Contributes to the appraisal, monitoring and evaluation of projects, including financial assessment of proposals;
- Critically studies and comments upon partners' reports and field operations and reports to line manager
- Assists the Head of Office/TA in the preparation of fiche-ops, as appropriate;
- Assists with, participate in, and report on meetings, as appropriate;
- Advises on the operational capacity of implementing partners;
- Draft reports on the humanitarian situation, including any political, economic and security
- events relevant to the analysis of the humanitarian situation in the country/region;
- Produces and circulates information of common interest (humanitarian situation reports, background information, etc.);
- Accompanies the TA on field visits, as requested and may act as an interpreter if necessary.
- Assists the HoO/TA in the event of an emergency response;
- Prepares maps, when appropriate;
- Provides back-stopping and surge support capacity in case of need.
Specific Duties for the Programme Assistant:
- Pro-actively follows local or regional events that may impact on the humanitarian situation in
- the country/region;
- Assists in appraising, monitoring and evaluating projects and reports to the line manager.
Working with partners:
- Maintains contacts with ECHO's partners, advising the TA of any major issues arising;
- Ensures communications with ECHO's partners, including establishing and maintaining a
- database of relevant organizations and personnel;
- Maintains contracts/grants database;
- Participates in meetings, as requested and appropriate;
- Liaises with local authorities and institutions, as delegated and appropriate;
- Assist with enhancing the visibility and communication of ECHO's overall assistance.
Other Specific Responsibilities/Tasks: (IF/When applicable):
- Provides reports and other ad-hoc documents as requested and to be verified and agreed by the HoO/TA;
- Respond to requests for information as delegated
- Prepares missions: agenda setting, contacts with partners, programming visits, meetings, etc.;
- Undertakes any additional tasks as assigned by the TA, Head of Office/RSO and/or Headquarters.
See list of competencies for this job category in annex below:
- The definition of each competency and examples of behaviours expected for each level are listed in annex below.
- A relevant first level university Degree or equivalent professional experience.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience at national or international level in supporting programme/project operations., including at least 2 years of experience with an NGO's, donor or national/international organization;
- Good knowledge of the EU humanitarian aid system;
- Good knowledge of International NGOs, UN Aid agencies and Red Cross Movement;
- Good understanding of Humanitarian Aid principles, policies and Standards ;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.).
- An excellent knowledge of English (verbal & writing).
- Good command of Hausa an asset
Method of Application
Applicants should forward their Cover letter, a detailed CV, Academic and Employment Certificates to mailbox: firstname.lastname@example.org The vacancy reference must be clearly indicated in the subject line.
Click here to view the Functions vs required Competencies (MS Excel)
Click here to view List of Competencies (MS Word)
- The position is open to all nationals of Nigeria and other residents holding a valid working permit or able to obtain such working permit before the foreseen recruitment date.
- Only the short-listed candidates will be contacted. Candidates who will not have been contacted by 30th May, 2016 should consider that they have not been selected.
- Any form of canvassing, soliciting or influencing will be treated as grounds for disqualification.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale