If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
Save the Children is a leading international organization helping children in need around the world. First established in the UK in 1919, separate national organizations have been set up in more than twenty-eight countries, sharing the aim of improving the lives of children through education, health care and economic opportunities, as well as emergency aid in cases of natural disasters, war and conflict.
The Knowledge Management Advisor will have responsibility for KM work related to the Child Development Grant Programme (CDGP). The CDGP is a unique large scale cash transfer programme in Northern Nigeria funded by DFID. The CDGP is shortly coming to the end of a 9 month design phase and will begin full implementation in January 2014 until March 2018.
The Advisor will lead Knowledge Management activities across the programme using different approaches in order to influence a wide variety of government, donor, media and community stakeholders and share evidence and case studies from the programme implementation.
The Advisor will work closely with technical staff in Abuja and state teams to develop compelling materials to support advocacy, communications and KM efforts with identified Government stakeholders and other external agencies. As well as the externally facing responsibilities, the role will also have internal accountability for ensuring strong systems are in place to communicate with the different staff and partners involved in implementing the programme and also support other Country Office related programmes.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Documentation/Reports (External and Internal):
- Develop compelling KM materials for the project based on lessons learned and experiences from the project for print and online
- Facilitate in the preparation of timely programme reports (monthly, quarterly and annual) for TTC, PMT , SCI Members and the donor, ensuring utmost quality in collaboration with M&E and other technical staff.
- Lead the development of case studies and briefs for the project and ensure that these meet Save the Children child safeguarding policies
- Work closely with the DNPM to ensure that DFID visibility and branding guidelines are adhered to where relevant and appropriate to the context
- Explore opportunities to communicate about the project with a wide variety of state and national level stakeholders, using innovative methods
- Produce reports, briefing papers and presentations for internal and external audiences, as directed. Ensure strong procedures are set in place to document programme learning.
- Support internal communications about the project with SCI Nigeria and Save the Children member and head offices.
- Review key messages points, press releases, and other media materials produced by the programme, ensuring compliance to agreed protocols
Knowledge Management Strategy Development and Implementation:
- Formulate key messages and targets from lessons learned, assessments, research and evidence gained through CDGP project implementation and wider analysis.
- Support development of KM strategy for the CDGP focusing on short and long term objectives and related to wider issues on social protection and nutrition in collaboration with the relevant Technical staff
- Keep a watching brief on policy makers and other key players in relation to social protection and nutrition issues and identify opportunities to raise awareness and influence policy change.
- Identify and maximise opportunities to raise the visibility and profile of the programme, both internationally and in-country.
Collaboration & Representation:
- Develop strategic relationships with other Country Office programmes, partner agencies engaged in KM and Social Protection policy framework.
- Develop and maintain a network of external contacts with key individuals in the government, NGO sector, civil society and the media.
- Build the capacity of staff from Save the Children and partner agencies in KM and communications.
- Where required, represent Save the Children at various policy forums and KM opportunities at national and international levels.
- Liaise closely with staff in the Advocacy and Campaign unit at Save the Children CO and Headquarters and coordinate with Save the Children UK and other Save the Children members
Influencing and External Representation:
- Develop good knowledge of state and national government structures, parliamentary and political processes and key decision making structures and how to influence them.
- Provide support to the National Programme Manager and other team members conducting advocacy visits to the states as well as at Federal Level.
- Undertake a range of KM activities to inform and persuade policy makers, including donors and politicians, of the value of Save the Children’s policy recommendations.
- Build systems for research, analysis and documentation that underpin evidence based KM and influencing at state and national levels.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- High degree of analytical skill, ability to influence and ability to develop KM materials effectively and convincingly to a diverse audience at state, national and international levels
- University degree in social sciences or communications or a related field.
- Substantial experience in KM, advocacy and policy development / research.
- Good understanding of the possibilities and tactics for influencing decision and policy makers, politicians, donors, and other key actors.
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with partner agencies and key contacts in the government, NGO, civil society and media sectors.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to effectively handle multiple tasks and meet strict deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, flexibility, adaptability and ability to work effectively as a member of a team.
- Ability to travel extensively in the country, including northern states (Jigawa and Zamfara especially).
- Good computer skills (word processing, spreadsheets, email / internet).
- Fluent English language skills (written and verbal).
- Commitment to the values, mission, aims and policies of Save the Children.
- Experience in training others in Communications/KM techniques and influencing tactics.
- Prior work experience in knowledge management in Nigeria.
- Knowledge of the policies, functions, structures and decision-making processes of key national institutions with regard to child Nutrition or Development.
- Experience working with children on Health and Nutrition will be an added advantage.
- Local language skills (Ability to communicate in Hausa and other local languages will be an advantage).
Method of Application
To apply for the position, visit Save The Children Career Page on Simplicant