If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
The International Rescue Committee has been in Nigeria since October 2012 and came in response to a widespread flood disaster. IRC’s Emergency Response Team, with local partner, Civil Society Coalition for Poverty Eradication (CISCOPE), implemented projects to support food security, livelihoods, nutrition and WASH in Kogi State. Beginning of January 2014, IRC shifted geographical location to the North East, in Adamawa state to provide humanitarian response to the conflict-affected populations. In the North East, IRC has three operational offices: Yola and Mubi field offices in Adamawa state and Maiduguri field office in Borno state-with the latter office opened in October 2015. In both states, IRC is providing humanitarian support to internally displaced populations hosted in IDP camps, camp like settings,host communities and returnee populations. Both Adamawa and Borno states have a combined IDP population of 1,658,030 people.
Scope Of Work
The Protection Consortium Senior Coordinator (PCSC) will be responsible for the overall management of the consortium activities in the three states in North East Nigeria, where the program will be implemented. As the focal point for the consortium, the PCSC will ensure quality program implementation: S/he will provide stragetic coordination and guidance to the consortium staff and protection teams of all four agencies to ensure that planned outputs are of high quality and that the program is driven by data and learning. The PCSC will be responsible for maintaining regular contact with all consortium partners, the consortium Senior Management Board (SMB) made up of the consortium members’ CDs, and the donor. S/he will be reporting to the IRC Country Director.
- Take the lead in the planning, corordination, follow up and ensure timely and quality implementation of the program activities with consortium agency sector leads;
- Provide strategig guidance in unifying approaches between programs and consortium members in different geographical areas;
- Organize periodic meetings in oider to discuss program progress, and feed into the SMB meeting.
- Provide technical and managerial direction and guidance in line with the program’s expected outcomes;
- Develop key project planning deliverables using results based management approaches and tools;
- Develop specific strategies for cross-cutting themes (capacity building, gender equality, environmental sustainability) for the program;
- Maintain open and effective communication amongst the consortium and project team members;
- Oversee day-to-day coordination and delivery of project activities in conjunction with staff and partners;
- Ensure that program activities in the areas of social cohesion, protection and capacity building
in target Local Government Areas in Adamawa, Borno and Yobe states are conducted in a timely and
professional manner in line with the program work-plan and in full coordination with national and local authorities as well as other partners.
- Coordinate with local authorities to facilitate the participation of local communities in the
planning and implementation of activities and undertake periodic reviews of program activities to assess effectiveness, efficiency, achievement of results and compliance with procedures.
- Draft portions of program monthly narrative and financial progress and interim & final reports in coordination with the Grants Coordinator to be approved by the SMB to share with the
Financial & Office Management
- Establish and oversee a financial management system for the program;
- In conjunction with the finance team, develop and monitor the project budget and ensure regular reporting to the donor;
Human Resources Management
- Manage the consortium team of five staff and by extension, focal leads of the consortium member agencies;
- Supervise, guide and evaluate the work of program staff and consultants;
- Oversee human resources management issues such as employment policies and practices, in line with local law;
Required Qualifications And Experience
- At minimum, a university degree in development studies, Migration studies, Law, international humanitarian law, humanitarian or human rights studies, sociology, psychology, protection, or other related field.
- At least 8 years of international relevant professional humanitarian experience with an international humanitarian aid organization, in complex emergencies, with exposure to targeted assistance, protection and/or community services programming.
- At least 4-5 years in an international managerial position.
- Operational and field experience in Project Management in the area of government capacity
building, return, reintegration and/or recovery in post-conflict situation;
- Solid experience with managing an office, and managing/capacity building both national and expatriate staff.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective and team and external relation.
- Excellent English language skills, both written and spoken are essential
- Familiarity with DFID donor guidelines.
Deployment Security Protocols
North East Nigeria is security phase 3 ( ORANGE ) so the Senior Consortium Coordinator will be expected to respect the various security protocols in place in country. Phase 3 requires clear contingency planning in place with staff prepared should hibernation or evacuation be called. This position is unaccompanied
Method of Application
To apply, go to IRC's career website on Taleo