Job Offer at World Health Organization (WHO)
Posted on: 7 April, 2016
Deadline: Not Specified
View Jobs in Healthcare / Medical
View All Jobs at World Health Organization (WHO)
World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
Vacancy Notice No: AFRO/16/FT184
Contract type: Fixed-term Appointment
Duration of contract:1 Year
Organization unit: AF_WSR AF West Sub-Region (AF_WSR) /
AF_NGA Nigeria (AF_NGA)
Objectives of the Programme
- Improve capacity to develop and implement policies, strategies and multi-sectoral action plan for prevention and control of non-communicable diseases and their risk factors including mental health, violence and injury
- Improve skills at federal and state levels to implement evidence-based interventions for management of non-communicable diseases including mental health at primary, secondary and tertiary levels
- Improve capacity for development and adaptation of protocols, guidelines and training modules for NCDs interventions
- Increase capacity for policy dialogue, coordination and partnership for multi-sectoral approach for the prevention and control of non-communicable diseases and their risk factors
- Increase capacity for surveillance of non-communicable diseases and their risk factors and conduct of relevant surveys such as STEPS, GATS, GSHS, GYTS e.t.c
Description of Duties
- Working under the overall leadership of the WR/Nigeria and the direct supervision of the DPC Adviser, the National Professional Officer, Non-Communicable Diseases/Conditions (NCD) will serve as the focal person for NCDs under the Disease Prevention and Control (DPC) Cluster of the WHO Country Office in Nigeria. Specifically, the post holder will:
- Support the Ministry of Health to develop and implement comprehensive and integrated policies and strategies for the management of the main chronic non-communicable diseases and their risk factors: cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, cancer, oral health, chronic respiratory diseases and sickle cell diseases;
- Provide technical support for the development of guidelines to promote use of community-based approaches, affordable strategies and technologies for the delivery of quality care services including primary, secondary and tertiary prevention;
- Provide technical assistance to the country for the prevention and control of NCDs and their risk factors integrated into national health policies and strategies, and, beyond the health sector;
- Support the country capacity building and provide technical assistance and advice to the Ministry of Health and its partners to develop, implement and evaluate strategies and action plans for the prevention and control of NCDs in line with the NCDs Global Action Plan 2013-2020;
- Forge partnerships and networks to enhance multi-disciplinary and multi-sectoral collaboration to address NCDs and their risk factors in the country;
- Contribute to resource mobilization for WCO technical support to the country using existing mechanisms at country level;
- Support data collection, research and information dissemination and use for policy and programme development, advocacy and awareness-raising on NCDs and their risk factors;
- Work closely with the national authorities and other partners, and liaise with WHO technical staff in the Regional Office
- Prepare technical and administrative reports and presentations as required;
- Perform any other tasks/duties as assigned by supervisors
- Essential: Medical Degree from a recognized University
- Desirable: Master's of Public Health from a recognized University
- Essential: At least 5 years working experience in prevention and control of non-communicable diseases and risk factors.
- Desirable: Working experience in related areas with WHO, other UN agencies or other recognized international organizations
- Proficiency in written and spoken English, working knowledge of French is an added advantage
- Demonstrated innovative, analytical and problem- solving skills; statistical, monitoring and evaluation skills; ability to lead policy level dialogue, advocacy and partnerships on non-communicable diseases and their risk factors
- WHO offers an attractive compensation package including an annual net salary (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance), dependency benefits, pension plan, health insurance scheme, and 30 days annual leave.
- Annual salary: (Net of tax) at single rate.
Method of Application
To apply, visit WHO Career Website
- "In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position.
- WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/
- Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and these will be reviewed individually".
- Candidates will be contacted only if they are under serious consideration.
❮ Back to All Jobs
- Know more about World Health Organization (WHO)Similar Jobs
- Optician at Newgate Medical Services Limited
- Graduate and Internship Recruitment at the Nigerian Navy Hospital
- Call Center Nurses at a Leading Health Company - Teclab Management Services Limited
- Interns at Toyo Medical Techs
- Job Opening in the Health Care Industry - Teclab Management Services Limited
- Graduate and Internship Recruitment at the Military Hospital Lagos (MHL)
- Finance Manager at LS Scientific Limited
- Job Opportunities at Rivet Clinical Services